Ohio Babies

Custody question...

I was told in some states if you let the father sign the birth certificate he has automatic rights. I do know for a fact in Ohio if your not married the mother has full custody when the childs born. My fear is letting the father sign the BC and he takes off with her one day and i call the police because he doesnt want to give her back and they say mama we cant help you hes on the BC. I have no problem with him seeing her but i want to retain full custody, hes stupid and immature, i do have my fears. So are we a state that allows rights to a father just for signing the BC?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Custody question...

• I would suggest consulting with a lawyer. GL
  • imagerunawaygirl778:
    I was told in some states if you let the father sign the birth certificate he has automatic rights. I do know for a fact in Ohio if your not married the mother has full custody when the childs born. My fear is letting the father sign the BC and he takes off with her one day and i call the police because he doesnt want to give her back and they say mama we cant help you hes on the BC. I have no problem with him seeing her but i want to retain full custody, hes stupid and immature, i do have my fears. So are we a state that allows rights to a father just for signing the BC?

I?m not sure if that's the law in Ohio, but it is true that in most states, the name on the birth certificate guarantees parental rights. I would try to avoid putting his name on it at all costs if you're not sure you want to be with him.

It's best to find a family lawyer, obviously, but if you're worried about the costs, there are several family lawyers in Ohio who will work for free ("pro bono"). You can find them by calling state, county or bar associations and asking for a referral.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My 11 year old has a different biological father than my other 2 children.  I chose not to put his name on the birth certificate, knowing we could add it later for a small fee, once we worked our differences.  To this day her birth certificate has only one name, mine, It was one of the better decisions I have made. 

It's a very personal choice, and I wish you the best in making it. 

• Just because his name is on the bc he doesn't have rights to the child if you are not married, were not married when the child was born. Only a judge can change his rights to visitation or custody in the state of Ohio.My mom works for a police department and they run into this all the time. The men are advised they have no parental rights until they go to court and it is awarded by a judge.

You aren't required to let him have vistitation or anything.

• I am a social worker and  even if the father signs the BC the mother is the onl,y one with rights unless the father goes to court to obtain rights. even if you don't have the father sign the Birth Certificate if you are plannig on recieving anytype of public assistance  you are required to file for childsupport which will put the fathers name on the birthcertificate. Also remember Child support has nothing to do with visitation and custody./ I cannot stress that enough to my clients.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"