2nd Trimester

wine during pregnancy??

2»

Re: wine during pregnancy??

• I am a big wine drinker, so again depending on your personal choice and whether you enjoyed it pre-pregnancy or not are certainly factors.  Another reply mentioned "everything in moderation" as well, and that plays a part.  The effects aren't clearly defined, because again, who wants to experiement like that ... although it is pretty defined that babies born with fetal alcohol syndrome were subjected to what I would consider amounts FAR past the occasional, even nighly glass of wine.  We're talking about serious addicts and such that were consuming bottles (plural) of their drink of choice daily on a consistent basis.  I tapered off for the first trimester, because I felt like that was a vital building/developing part of pregnancy and as said before "why risk it?" ... but since about the middle of the 2nd trimester I've enjoyed a glass or even two of wine at social events weekly.  Luckily, the craving/desire to have a nightly glass was also tapered, so it was easy to pass.

The friends I keep around me are open and not "judgy" but I would have no problem addressing someone who made a comment with a simple "it's a personal choice" reply if confronted.  After all, their intentions are good.

• DH is a doctor, and last week we went out with a bunch of his coworkers (who all know I'm pregnant) for a work-related dinner. There were drinks and hors d'oeuvre before dinner, and when the waiter asked for my drink order, I didn't order anything. Later, one of DH's coworkers asked me if I wanted a glass of wine, and when I said "I can't," three of the doctors piped up with "yes, you can!" 

I know that I can have a glass of wine occasionally with dinner, but honestly, I've never been much of a drinker anyway (I didn't often have wine with meals even before I got pregnant), so I don't see the point. However, I wouldn't judge someone else if they chose to have a drink while pregnant.

ETA - I realized after I posted that this was from APRIL! Why are people still commenting?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My Dr. said that 4 oz. ounces once a week is ok, but I only have a few weeks left and have had a total of two glasses for special occasions.  I also only drank red wine, as that is the kind that has antioxidants in it.  In some European countries it is perfectly acceptable to drink wine throughtout, and to my knowledge there is nothing stating that they have more birth issues because of it.  I agree with an earlier post that I didn't drink it in public due to how taboo it looks. If someone sees you drink one in public, they probably assume its a daily occurance.
  • I had maybe 3 half glasses of wine my entire pregnancy with DS and they were all after the A/S
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKC_13:

I did quite a bit research on this, and I felt that it was unnecessary to give up drinking a half glass of red wine occasionally outside of 1st tri. I feel that red wine has health benefits. There's such a stigma against alcohol because people tend to abuse it, but people forget that small amounts are actually beneficial for your body. I truly believe that I wouldnt have carried either one of my children to term without red wine-it was even recommended by my doctor because I had an irritable uterus and painful contractions starting at 18 weeks. It would always stop my contractions and calm me, which was probably extremely beneficial to baby. I'm sure the drugs they pump women to prevent preterm labor are a lot more dangerous than a small glass of wine. In a recent study, they found that babies born to light drinkers had better outcomes than women who obstained from alcohol (or were drunks, obviously. lol).

Here's a good alcohol about a recent study involving drinking and pregnancy:

https://news.discovery.com/human/alcohol-drinking-pregnant-women.html

Thank you for posting this! This goes to show that moderation can even be beneficial. This is clearly a personal choice and those who do enjoy wine responsibly should not feel guilty, and those who don't drink wine should do so without judgement. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"