Health & Exercise

Pre-pregnancy HCG diet???

Anyone know if this is safe to do before? Of course when I find out I'm pregnant I would immediately stop. Just would like to loose some pounds fast to make pregnancy healthier for me and baby!

Re: Pre-pregnancy HCG diet???

• HCG diets and other fad diets are not a healthy way to lose weight.

checking portions, eating a well balanced diet, and exercise is the only tried and true method.

the problem with fad diets is that it doesn't teach you how to eat properly. sure, you might lose weight fast, but what happens when you go back to your "normal" eating?

trust me, i understand wanting to lose weight before getting PG... but you need to keep in mind that the changes you make now in a healthy manner are the ones that are more likely to stick with you throughout your PG and lead to a healthier PG and baby. 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • Taking hormones, limiting yourself to 500 calories per day, headaches, depression, blood clots, nausea, hairloss, and wrecking your metabolism does NOT sound like a way to make pregnancy healthier for you or your baby.

Of course you'll lose weight if you only eat 500 calories per day, that isn't even enough to support normal brain function. But the instant you stop the diet you'll gain it all back (and likely then some since your metabolism will be ruined).

Add to this the fact that (1) there are no studies showing the efficacy of HCG as a way to lose weight, (2) HCG is not approved by the FDA for this purpose, and (3) HCG was recently listed as a "banned substance" in baseball because it was being used as a steroid. So no, there is NO WAY I would ever consider the HCG diet. But especially if I was TTC.

• Loading the player...
  • Wow I thought I had done my research on this...had no idea about all that. Thank you!
  • It's not healthy in any way, shape, or form...  When you look into the research on it it's right up there with the shake weight...  The thing is, they put you on a starvation diet while taking the HcG - the diet ALONE will cause you to drop a lot of weight as well as mess up your metabolism for a long time into the future. 

If you really want to cut size, join a gym, do 30 mins of cardio/day and lift heavy weights (none of this 5lb. crud - we're talking 25's to wheels with the scary look'n dudes!)...  Cut your caloric intake of carbs and replace them with proteins..  You should notice a change within a short time which makes for a long-term healthier approach to weight management so you stop the cycle of yo-yo diets...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's not healthy in any way, shape, or form...  When you look into the research on it it's right up there with the shake weight...  The thing is, they put you on a starvation diet while taking the HcG - the diet ALONE will cause you to drop a lot of weight as well as mess up your metabolism for a long time into the future. 

If you really want to cut size, join a gym, do 30 mins of cardio/day and lift heavy weights (none of this 5lb. crud - we're talking 25's to wheels with the scary look'n dudes!)...  Cut your caloric intake of carbs and replace them with proteins..  You should notice a change within a short time which makes for a long-term healthier approach to weight management so you stop the cycle of yo-yo diets...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You tend to lose your period when doing the hcg --- it will come back but I would not mess with the diet until I was done having kids. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Also, very fast weight loss means that your fat is entering your bloodstream quickly and releasing any of the fat soluble toxins that build up in our bodies over time. I wouldn't want to be going through that while TTC. That doesn't sound good for a developing fetus, even if you stopped as soon as you found out.
  • I did three cycles of it through an endocrinologist before becoming pregnant.  I had tried everything else with no success.  I was eating properly and trained for 3 half-marathons over a 1-year period...and still gaining.  The diet was very effective for me.  I had extremely irregular periods before the HCG cycles - I only had 2 periods in the 12 months before I started HCG - once I dropped the weight I was pregnant within 2 months.  It definitely did not affect my brain function, as PP suggested... during 2 of the cycles I was working full time, planning a wedding, teaching a course at a university an hour away from home, and finishing my dual masters degree with a 4.0 GPA.  I felt great the entire time, physically and mentally.  I recommend it to anyone who has truly exhausted other options and is willing to work with a doctor experienced in administering the diet.  You have to commit to the program, though.... any deviation will affect results.  It is also helpful to make sure everyone in your household & immediate circle is on board to reduce/eliminate temptations while you are on the cycles.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"