Postpartum Depression
Options

Postpartum turing into alcohol abuse?

I had my beautiful son 19 weeks ago not a day goes by that im not thankful I had him but im slowly realizing, much to my dismay that I may have postpartum depression. I was kinda on a high right after I had him, but after about 3 weeks I started getting severe anxiety and was unable to eat or sleep at night (even tough LUCKY ME!) he has been sleeping through the night (10 to 7!) i still wake constantly. I told my OB and he prescribed Lexapro, which seemed to work at first, but over the last 5 weeks (7 weeks after starting med) things have spiraled out of control. I cry all the time, hardly can get myself to shower, feel so worthless at times even thought that i HATE myself. Ive begun self medicating with wine, which is not good because you cant be a good mom with a buzz on. i need to get a grip.

Has anyone been on and off medications to deal with this yet? Is it possible that the medication could be making things worse for me? I feel like such a horrible mom. I feel like a failure, why cant IO just get a grip on my own?? shouldn't i just be grateful I have a healthy, happy baby?? what is wrong with me?!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Postpartum turing into alcohol abuse?

• Options

Call Dr right away, the Lex. obviously is not working. There are other meds. Also, alcohol will often make your emotions worse while on antidepressants. Hense the warning labels on many meds that say "do not take with alcohol."

There is nothing wrong with YOU. Just that your body got all wacked out from the hormones. The meds and a therapist to speak with will help. But you need that help right away.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options
    Hey, I only have a second to give a short answer but YES, a medicine can make things worse.  I started Lexapro maybe 6 years back and it did not work for me at all.  I quit taking it when my boss at the time called me in his office to privately ask me whether or not I had developed some sort of drug problem because of my behavior and personality shifts.  Everything does not work well for everyone.  I now take Celexa and it works for me.   Please go back to the doctor- hearing that this specific type of med isnt working for you will be of no shock to the doctor.  It is normal to have to try a few before you find one that works for you.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"