Preemies

Official plan to keep #2 cooking (maybe helpful for those TTC or currently expecting)

I had my 14 week appt with my OB (first official appt with her, we had an ultrasound at 9 weeks to confirm).

The plan is as follows:

At the 14 week appt, she performed the fetal fibronectin swab (she said this generally isn't accurate until about 24 weeks + but wants to start them now in hopes that if one comes up positive that I can be put on bedrest immediately).  Every 2 weeks this will be repeated.

In 3 weeks, I am going to an MFM to have the measurements done, sex determined and to have my first cervical measurements done (yay! we get to find out before xmas!)  This U/S will be repeated on an opposite two week schedule from the FFN test. So I will either be at the OB or the MFM every two weeks.

Starting at 18 weeks, we will start the 17p shots once a week (she said I didn't exactly fit the category of women that they do this in but it may help? not sure exactly what that means since DS was born 10 weeks early with 3 weeks of premature labor leading to that point).

At any point, if my cervix starts to change, I will have to get a cerclage.

Starting at 30 weeks, I will be seeing her EVERY week.

We are anxious/nervous about #2 but I feel very optimistic about our plan and I'm going to try to relax as much as possible.  

It's really crazy to think 16 weeks from now, we could be in the hospital having #2. I know, I know. I can't think like that and I'm really trying not to, but it is a very humbling thought.  I never realized just how fast little ones can be welcomed into this world.  I'm praying for the best.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Official plan to keep #2 cooking (maybe helpful for those TTC or currently expecting)

• Thanks so much for sharing!  We'd like one more at some point, and it's good to see that doctors are willing to be aggressive and proactive to prevent another preemie.  Keep us posted!  Good luck.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Good luck and keep us posted!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Hugs!  I can't remember why you delivered early?

I had a cerclage because of IC starting a 23w with DS1, but otherwise, I had most of the same preventives that you are.  P17's and cervical length measurements every other week. (I didn't have the ffn) and DS2 wasn't born until 35w4d (but due to a rash they thought might be affecting the baby). 

T&P  - what helped me get through the hard weeks was praying and deep down, have faith that you'll make it to term or close to it.  HUGS!

• Looks like a plan to me! Best of luck with everything!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photobucket
  • imagelemen99:

Hugs!  I can't remember why you delivered early?

I had a cerclage because of IC starting a 23w with DS1, but otherwise, I had most of the same preventives that you are.  P17's and cervical length measurements every other week. (I didn't have the ffn) and DS2 wasn't born until 35w4d (but due to a rash they thought might be affecting the baby). 

T&P  - what helped me get through the hard weeks was praying and deep down, have faith that you'll make it to term or close to it.  HUGS!

Thanks bunches...I started having PTL at 27 weeks.  by 28 weeks my cervix had begun to thin and did so progressively.  I was put on strict bedrest and at 29 weeks, my water broke.  I spent 5 days in the hospital, ended up with a uterine infection (didn't know until after he was born, temp was almost 105 after delivery, otherwise i would have had a c-section), and my little man was officially born at 30 wks 1 day. He spent 39 uneventful (we are very blessed) days in the NICU.  He was 2lbs, 15oz. We still have no official reason on why everything happened.

Our goal is to make it 34 weeks, if we make it that far, it will be a huge blessing.  If I make it full term, that would be amazing.  I wonder what it's like to be super pregnant!!!

Thanks for all of the support!  I'll keep you all posted!  I am thinking about writing a blog.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was similar to Lemen in regards to interventions kind of laid out in that order, and DS gave us a few twists and turns before his arrival at 35w6d.  In short, the planning allowed us to be more proactive when DS's plan changed.  Lots of prayers, and lots of one day at time pep-talks are in order.  Every day in the oven counts, and you won't believe how great it feels when you pass the gestation that #1 was born at.  It will be all new, and totally worth it.  GL!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Sounds like a great plan! Just a thought (if you can wait), what about them writing the gender down and you could wrap it up and open on Cmas? :)
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thank you for posting this.  We are planning on starring to TTC in the next few months and it is reassuring to see what others are doing.  Good Luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Def good to hear that a proactive plan can be in place from early on! Congrats on your pregnancy and T&P that you have a healthy full term baby this time (or at least past 34 weeks!).
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • I am glad you have a doctor who is willing to keep a good eye on you and lo. Sounds like a good plan in place too. What was the reason ds came early? I had pre-e with my first dd so my new doctor has me on 17p shots (started at 16 weeks) plus they are monitoring my blood pressure weekly too! 

• Do any of you ladies know of anyone who had (or personally experienced) an abruption and conceived again?  Just curious!  
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thank you for posting this. I know I want a second baby but we had such a hard time keeping DS cooking that I am out of my mind nervous to attempt a second, not that it would be anytime soon lol. I was in PTL too but thankfully my bedrest kept me preggers til I was taken off Procardia.I have been hoping someone would share a story about trying for a second after PTL. There seem to be no explanations as to what caused my PTL or what the chances are of me going into PTL again if I choose to have a second. I am so grateful that you have shared your story. I wish you the best of luck!

P.S. I think a blog would be great and I would certainly be following it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"