School-Aged Children

Gifts for public school teacher?

DS1 is in kindergarten. I love his teacher and want to get her a Christmas gift but I'm not really sure what to get or how much to spend. I was thinking about having DS decorate a card, some Christmas cookies, and giving her a $25 giftcard to a local bookstore. That way she could spend it on herself or on the class. I also found some cute Frosty the Snowman pencils and I got enough for the class. Does this sound ok? Is it too much, not enough? What is everyone else doing?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gifts for public school teacher?

• I am a teacher as well as a mom of two school-aged kids, and I feel like $25 is a lot.  However, books are always appreciated by teachers.

If you can afford it, and you feel comfortable giving that much, go for it.  But know that the teacher would also be fine with the hand-made card and the cookies.  If you have younger kids who will soon be in elementary school as well, you might want to keep in mind that you could be doing this for more than one teacher in a few years, and that $25/teacher really adds up fast. 

Based on myself and my teacher friends, here are some things teachers like the most and least:

Like most:  gift cards to area stores, food (homemade or bought), things made by the kid, heartfelt thank-you notes.

Like least: knick-knacks, "teacher" gifts with apple theme, candles, lotions, clothes/jewelry.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • As a teacher, that gift would be AWESOME to me.  It does seem like a lot, please don't feel like you have to spend that much.  Teachers can be appreciative of lots of gifts.  

Each teacher is going to be different, for example, I love bath and body works stuff, especially hand sanitizers, but I know the previous poster said lotions weren't a hit in her group. And not to seem ungrateful, but I'll also agree knickknacks and items of that nature can get tiresome. 

In regards to homemade gifts, just decide if you're really good at something or not.  I have some darling pillows, puppets, and other crafty projects that moms have made me that I love.  However, if you can't bake, don't send cookies!  Don't send a project that you made if it looks like your kiddo made it.  And sadly, unless your kiddo is really talented at something or has some pretty good help from a grown up, most kid created projects don't make the best gifts.  I've had a few kids that I felt really close to over the years who made things I keep for sentimental value. On another board a mom keeps bragging about the salt dough ornaments she has her kids make as gifts for teachers every year.  The idea is nice, but truly, most things like that end up looking a little tacky and messy, and my tree is reserved for my kids' tacky messy ornaments. 

Thanks for showing appreciation to a teacher! 

• Loading the player...
  • In DD's class, the whole class usually gets together and someone collects around $10 each and they give the teacher a flower arrangement and a visa gift card.  Have you thought about combining with another parent(s)? 

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • I'm a teacher also and your gift sounds great! :)  I would say most spend about $15-20.  I plan on doing $25 for the teacher and $15 for the assistant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think your idea is awesome! I am making DD#2's Kindergarten teacher this:

https://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/05/make-a-tea-wreath/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can't go wrong with Starbucks. I don't even drink coffee and I love starbucks. It is a real treat. I am sure she would appreciate it.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"