VBAC

For those who have had a VBAC....

If I go with a R/C they will schedule it a week before Im due. Im wondering if doing a VBAC they induced you a week early as well or wait until you went into labor?

Married since June 2007 ~ TTC June 2007 BFP #1 8/24/07 ~ M/C 10/31/07 Emergency D/C (8w) BFP #2 5/22/09 ~ DS born 1/30/10 BFP #3 8/22/11 ~ EDD 6/2/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For those who have had a VBAC....

• Mine wouldn't induce with any kind of method since I was a VBAC.. he wanted me to go into labor on my own. He did agree to break my water at 41 weeks though if I didn't go into labor before then.. I think he'd probably do that earlier but I didn't want to in case that didn't lead to labor.. but he wouldn't do pitocin or anything like that ever at any point
  • If I choose an RCS, it would be scheduled for my due date.  My midwife will not start induction for a VBAC until 41 weeks and only if my cervix is favorable.  They will only use a little bit of pitocin, so it's not really a full induction.

For a VBAC, your odds are much better if you go into labor on your own.  It's also much healthier for the baby that way.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was allowed to go to 41 weeks, at which point I had to choose a RCS or induction.  I chose induction at that time, which was successful.  Many providers do not induce VBACs to begin with but generally only do it as late as possible.  I wouldn't schedule a RCS at 39 weeks anyway for the safety of the baby.  If you are both healthy, why not wait until 40-41 weeks when the baby is closer to coming on his/her own?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • I have not had mine yet, but my OB will let me go to 42 weeks. At that point I have to schedule a rcs. She won't induce, but will use a small amount of pitocin if my labor stalls.
  • I was allowed to go to 42w, but had DD at 40w1d.  When I did my consult with the new midwife group they basically said they would do everything in their power to get things moving on their own before a RCS would even be discussed.  Breaking water, stripping membranes, a little Pit.  That was the only time RCS was mentioned, but I'm assuming if I was close to 42w it would have been discussed again. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine wanted me to be induced with pitocin this week (40 weeks) and I requested to wait until 41. They were fine with that but that is the lastest they will let you wait in my office. They will not be able to use any sort of cervadil so my cervix has to be more than 2 cm's dilated to give the pitocin. GL.
    PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My providers were willing to let me go until 42 weeks before attempting gentle induction techniques if no signs of labor.  There was no scheduling a RCS unless I wanted to.  I would try and push your RCS date to your due date at least, if not closer to 41 weeks.  I went into labor at 41w1d after getting my membranes swept at 41w0d.  

This of course depends on what your care provider will agree to...  GL!

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• I haven't had mine yet.  But certain drs have different policies.

My dr will only let me go to 41 weeks.  I have a rcs scheduled for 41 weeks.  They will not induce at all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesarahe101:
    I have not had mine yet, but my OB will let me go to 42 weeks. At that point I have to schedule a rcs. She won't induce, but will use a small amount of pitocin if my labor stalls.

This is how my practice is as well. I have scheduled a c-section for 41 weeks 3 days if I don't go into labor on my own before that.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Carter 5.25.10   Charlotte 2.6.12   Baby#3 5.17.15
  • It depends on your provider and hospital.

They wanted to schedule an induction at 39 weeks for "high blood pressure." I said no.

They wanted to schedule an induction at 41 weeks because my chances of having a VBAC were "better before 41 weeks." I said no.

Your chances of having a VBAC are better if you go into labor on your own... whenever that may be!  

• My hospital does not induce anyone, VBAC or not, before 42 weeks unless there is a medical reason.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"