Preemies

Hi, Joining You

I never thought I would be posting on this board, but I am sure a lot of people say that. My little girl, Zoey Alexandra came into this world via emergency csection on Monday. I had GD and pre-e and was on modified bedrest. At my regular OB appointment, my doctor sent me to L&D to get an NST after a very high blood pressure. Turns out that Zoey's heartbeat while consistent was unresponsive and they prepped me for a c-section incredibly fast. My husband didn't even make it to the hospital in time, but all of that doesn't matter.

They got Zoey out and I was able to see her and hold her for a brief second. We later found out that she was born with a blood sugar level of 6. She had during or around her birth some minor strokes and a small brain bleed. Her blood sugars bounced back pretty quickly but are being monitored. She was on CPAP (oxygen) from Monday until Wednesday. She was weaned off of oxygen and breathing on her own. She didn't have any seizures and the neurologist said the bleeding is being reabsorbed, which I understand is pretty normal with preemies.

We are currently working on weaning her off IV fluids, working on latching on with breast feeding and digesting breast milk. 

She has come so far in such a short period of time. I was given magnesium sulfate Monday - Tuesday and was really kept in the dark on the gravity of her situation. The doctors are now very optimistic about her and we are talking about her coming home some time next week depending on how she does with feeding.

I will definitely need support and advice from other preemie/NICU mommies. I was just released today and am home trying to rest. My blood pressure is still pretty high so I am pumping and trying to rest at home a little bit. Hoping to go in to see her for a few hours tomorrow and Sunday. We also need to figure out our schedules and such for the week.

This is all so new to us. My boss doesn't even know I am on maternity leave - she has been on vacation all week and I still have a few loose ends to wrap up at work. 

Re: Hi, Joining You

• Welcome and congrats on your daughter's birth! Its great do hear she is doing well and working on feeds! You will find lots of support here-ask all your questions and vents we all have NICU experience so we know where you are coming from. Check out our blog (link in siggy) for some of our stories and resources.

In terms of visiting and schedules--you'll get a variety of answers on that one. The short version is do what works for you. Be sure to give your body time to heal and don't feel guilty if you aren't at your baby's bedside all the time. Keep pumping as much as you can and if you want to breastfeed, tell the neos so they work that into her feeding plan while you are still at the NICU and have all the LCs support. 

• Welcome!  I'm glad Zoey seems to be turning the corner and I hope that she's home with you soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome to the board and congratulations! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Welcome and congrats on your baby girl...good luck and hope she is home with you soon!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • First off Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a scary experience with pre-e. So happy to hear that Zoey is doing really well in the NICU. Praying that she had an uneventful NICU stay. My DD was born at 33w 4d due to pre-e. She spent 12 days in the NICU, mainly as feeder/grower. She was on CPAP for three days, under the bili lights for a few days as well. Definitely keep us posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"