Detroit Babies

Metro Area Peds...Help!

FTM looking for a good ped.  Got a couple of recs from my MW, I looked up a few online from the list my insurance gave me, and a few of my students parents gave me some names.  However; many of them do not do pregnancy or new mom consults.  I have a problem with this.  I do not feel comfortable to just pick a name of a Dr. that I haven't ever met and trusting them with the health of my newborn. 

My insurance is decent but requires that I have the pediatrician locked in once I give birth, and cannot change until the next open enrollment period, by which time my child will almost be a year old. So I don't have the luxury of shopping around post partum, plus who wants to drag a newborn from Dr. to Dr. in January?  I don't.

Any ideas of what to do?  Any good peds? I live in Ferndale, but would be willing to drive 20 minutes for a good Dr.  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Metro Area Peds...Help!

• What hospital are you delivering at?  If you want them to do the evaluation at the hospital they have to be affiliated with it.  That'd be a place to start.  I'm in N Oakland Co so I'd be of no help.  Do you have any neighbors with kids you can ask?  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• I'm not near Ferndale, so I don't have any recommendations.  I just wanted to say that I wouldn't dismiss any doctor who doesn't do a new mom consult.  Really, what are you going to learn?  Yes, you get to meet the doctor and see the office, but I feel like they just put on a show of sorts.  If they know you're a potential new patient, they're going to put on the charm.  The most important thing is the care of your newborn and that's something you won't know until you see them in action.  I'd trust recommendations from other moms more than anything.  They have that experience working with the doctor.  Plus, other moms tend to be very vocal when it comes to the care of their children, so it becomes apparent very quickly who's a good doctor or who to avoid.  You can also do a google search of the doctor's name as people will post reviews onlines. 

• Loading the player...
  • What insurance do you have?  I currently have BCN HMO, starting Jan 1 I'll have HAP HMO.  I know that I do/did not have to have a pedi chosen before birth, and I absolutely can change the pedi listed with the insurance company whenever I want.  You just log into your account online and you can change it or you call the insurance company up.

I wouldn't worry about a new mom consult.  I never even met my pedi until I delivered my son.  I have no recs for Ferndale, as I go to a pedi in Novi.

Gabriel Joseph 6/13/2010
    BFP#2: 8/14/11 M/C 8/30/11 6w1d
    BFP #3: 10/26/11
    Beta #1 @11dpo: 22 Beta #2 @13dpo: 90 Beta #3 @17dpo: 480
    Missed m/c 12w3d 12/28/11, d&c 12/30/11
    dx Homozygous C677T MTHFR image image
  • We take our lovebug to Macomb Pediatricians. We love them! We see Dr. Oska he is great with our daughter and would reccomend him to anyone- hands down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"