Preemies
Options

we're sick too

I knew this would happen since Andrew is in school, but Andrew has a goodness awful awful cough (so glad this is his first really bad respiratory illness!) and Elliott is quite sick too - sounds like he is breathing water.

Turns out andrew has a sinus infection + some sort of respiratory thing and Elliott has some sort of virus.  Andrew is on Augementin and Elliott got a breathing treatment yesterday and is on steroids for his lungs. 

I'm so glad that Andrew didn't get anything when he was an infant; I can see how now really really bad that would have been since he was so much earlier than Elliott.

I hope all your preemies stay healthy this winter!

Re: we're sick too

• Options
    Oh no! I'm so sorry your guys are both sick. One sick baby is hard enough. Sending you all healthy vibes!
  • Options

I have a question about breathing treatments.  Is that something your pediatrician evaluates him for or is that a pulmonologists' decision?  Christian has always had a baseline showing retraction and the chest xrays are always clear, but when he laughs alot or when he's in therapy you can tell he has to work really hard to breathe sometimes.  The ped says the coughing is from post nasal drip or something that he's fighting (currently on antibiotics) but I was just wondering if you could tell me what to look for, or how your baby was diagnosed to need breathing treatments.  TIA for any advice! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

So are we! DD has had a cough/cold for almost 2 weeks now; doctor said it was viral when I brought her in 2 weeks ago. The cough has gotten so bad that she is vomiting from being so snotty! Took her back today and she has a sinus infection and is on antibiotics. Hopefully we are on the mend too!

Hope your little ones feel better soon!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that.  No Fun!  Sophie's sick too :(  She had an ear infection a month ago and today's follow-up showed that she still has alot of fluid in her ears.  So much that the Pedi. said the ENT may have to get involved if the fluid doesn't go down in the next 2 months.  Then she woke up with croup last Monday, started wheezing last Wed. and has been to the Pedi. two more times due to breathing trouble.  He started her on the oral steroid this past Monday and we went back today and thankfully her lungs are finally clear.  Also, her Pulminologist & Pedi. agreed to start her on a Flovent inhaler for the winter as preventative maintenance. I guess the nebulizer isn't good enough anymore. :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I hope both boys are feeling better soon!
  • Options
    imagenayandjosh:

I have a question about breathing treatments.  Is that something your pediatrician evaluates him for or is that a pulmonologists' decision?  Christian has always had a baseline showing retraction and the chest xrays are always clear, but when he laughs alot or when he's in therapy you can tell he has to work really hard to breathe sometimes.  The ped says the coughing is from post nasal drip or something that he's fighting (currently on antibiotics) but I was just wondering if you could tell me what to look for, or how your baby was diagnosed to need breathing treatments.  TIA for any advice! 

Sure - We took him to urgent care because he sounded like he was breathign underwater, you can feel flem in his lungs/back when he breathes, and his breathing was shallow.  he was getting worse not better.  They measured his oxygen saturation level at 93%.  Below 95% and they do a nebulizer treatment in the office.  After the treatment he was breathing better, but he still had flem in his lungs, so they prescribed steroids. 

Neither of my kids have ever seen a Pulmonologist. :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"