Two Under 2
Options

Irish Twins

Any moms in here with experience/advice with Irish twins? My son just turned 6 mos. on Thanksgiving and we recently found out that I am 12 weeks along with Baby #2... Surprise! Kinda freaking out a little, haha :) Also, had to have a C-section with my first so worried about going through that again with a one-year old. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Irish Twins

• Options

Congratulations!  Just an FYI, you don't "have" to have another c-section if you don't want too.  Although doctors like you to have a longer space between pregnancies, you should research VBACs if you're interested in doing that.  good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had mine 11 months apart. I had to have a c/s with my first, I was given the option of a vbac if the conditions were favorable, but ended up with another c/s. Give your child a doll to practice with as the months go on in your pregnancy so the older one isn't so rough with the new baby. It has not been as rough as I had thought, but we have our days. The first month was chaotic until we got a routine down. I was on bedrest, so we made the living room toddler-friendly and put diapers and that in drawers I could reach without getting up from the floor. We spent most of the summer playing on the floor in the living room. When we first came home, I made sure to spend the time the baby was sleeping with my oldest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I ended up with a second c; since i didn't fit the vbac criteria. The second C; is so so much more of an easier recovery. I was out of bed and walking soon and not as sore and painful as it was the first time around. I did listen and have some help with the kids the first 4 weeks at home with ds2 so i didn't overdo it. Basically the second time around is easier; just control the guests who are visiting.

Congrats!!

• Options

I am a proud mom of Irish twins (both adopted).  They are 8.5 months apart.

My advice is not to listen to naysayers.  For us the transition has been easier than expected.  My eldest will turn one next week.  I can't imagine her being any more difficult with a newborn than she was three months ago (when our second baby was born). 

Everyone will say "you've got your hands full".... it gets old. 

Oh, my other piece of advice... if you don't babywear now, start!  Get a good sling and a good Ergo or Beco. They save me.  I can carry both of my girls at a year and a 3 months together w/o any stress. 

Last thing to file away in your mind--- when all else fails, sit on your bed.  It's much easier to mother two crying babies in a confined and comfortable area.  We've had many stressful moments on my bed :)

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options

Holy Cow! 1 already?? I remember seeing your post that you had just adopted! Congrats!!! We adopted our 2 also!!! Man time flies when you are having fun :) 

imagesilliestbunny:

I am a proud mom of Irish twins (both adopted).  They are 8.5 months apart.

My advice is not to listen to naysayers.  For us the transition has been easier than expected.  My eldest will turn one next week.  I can't imagine her being any more difficult with a newborn than she was three months ago (when our second baby was born). 

Everyone will say "you've got your hands full".... it gets old. 

Oh, my other piece of advice... if you don't babywear now, start!  Get a good sling and a good Ergo or Beco. They save me.  I can carry both of my girls at a year and a 3 months together w/o any stress. 

Last thing to file away in your mind--- when all else fails, sit on your bed.  It's much easier to mother two crying babies in a confined and comfortable area.  We've had many stressful moments on my bed :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Mine are not Irish twins, but close - they are 12 months and 18 days apart.  #2 was also a surprise for us.  But we're a year into it and I love it.  I really do.  It's hard, don't get me wrong, but it's so much fun now that they are playing together. 

I didn't have a c-section, but I did have a pp hemorrhage with #2 which resulted in a lot of blood loss and a week of bedrest, AND #1 got very sick just after #2 was born.  My family was nearby and they kept DD1 with them for a whole week.  I don't know how we would have done it without them.  Some kind of support is key in the beginning.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options
    I will have Irish twins come June. So I can't give any tips yet just wanted to say Congrats. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"