Natural Birth
Options

doula - with a CNMW?

I got 2 great responses from my March 2012 board, but thought I might get more bites here:

I'm reading 'Natural Hospital Birth' and it has me seriously considering hiring a doula - and surprisingly DH is all about it! Apparently he is feeling very anxious about being the main support person during our hopefully natual birth experience.

I go to a practice with OBs and CNMWs - there is always at least one of each on call, and we're going the MW route with our regular appointments.

Since we see MWs and will have a MW at the hospital instead of an OB (as long as things are going smoothly of course) - would a doula be overkill? I'm tempted to look into it more as DH is very on board, but I guess I'm just not sure how that will work with the MWs.

The doula we're looking at does a couple of prenatal and postnatal visits as well as the actual birth. Does that mean she might go to appointments with the MW - or just at home?

Of course I'll call her directly and get more info and ask about it all at my MW appt next week - just looking for input if you guys have any.

TIA!

Alex has arrived! 9 pounds, 21 inches - 3 weeks early on March 2nd ~went natural - very intense. whew!~

Re: doula - with a CNMW?

• Options
    I did not have a doula myself, but if you are interested in having an additional support person I would definitely look into hiring one.  I also had a CNM, but it was a busy day on the L & D floor and I only saw her 5-10 minutes of the 6 hours I labored at the hospital.  She was there for the last hour that I pushed, but in terms of labor support all I really had was my DH.  So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't count on your CNMW to be there with you.   
  • Options
    We had a doula with our first, and I was seeing a group practice of CNMs. I would absolutely recommend it. We really only saw our MW a few times during labor (I was induced, and was in labor for nearly 38 hours). Our doula was such a great support person for DH. I think it was better for his peace of mind than for mine (though I really appreciated her support too). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a CNM present my entire labor (4 hours total once I got to the birth center). Having a doula was awesome but I wondered beforehand if it was overkill too.  For me, it was definitely not.  The more hands the better!  I know everyone is different but I needed lots of support and was glad to have it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am having a hospital birth with a midwife and also hired a doula. My wife was very clear on wanting to be my emotional support and not have the additional responsibility of being 'in charge' of the medical and physical support challenges. 

Having a doula has increased my excitement for birth, lessened my anxiety, and lessened my wife's anxiety. I have no doubt that she will be worth every penny. 

• Options
    I"m having a hospital birth and may have a CNM (my practice has OBs and CNMs so it just depends on who is on call), but I am 100% still hiring a doula. She will come to my house and provide me with the support I'm sure I will need. Our plan is to labor at home for as long as possible and go to the hospital shortly before "pushing" time. If I didn't hire a doula, I would be laboring home with just DH. I want someone else there with me. 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• Options
    Most MW in a hospital setting are attending more than one birth, so your MW very well might not be in your room most of the labor.  If I were giving birth in a hospital, I would totally hire a doula.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

Meh, for me it'd be overkill. I'll have a midwife, if not two and my FI. My birth will already be going the way I choose for it to because we're at the birth center. I would hire a doula for a hospital birth to be my advocate

However, that's me personally, if it feels necessary to you, then go for it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I had a doula and a midwife who was at my side most of the time.  My doula was invaluable when it came to pushing and support.  She held my hand and helped me chant/breathe through those intense pushing contractions for almost two hours, and helped with ice chip refills and towels so hubby could stay by my side and be behind me rubbing my back or pulling up my hair, etc.  You can even hire student doulas.  There are even studies that show that having a doula at your birth reduces pain medication usage and the likely hood you'll want/ask for an epidural!

Good luck!

• Options
    Are you in Atlanta? Are you with a midwife practice or an OB practice with midwives?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes, I've hired a doula and am seeing CNMs and will have a midwife do our delivery. I wondered about it being overkill but now having met with our doula and working on our birth plan with her, I see how valuable it is. Also, when I've brought it up at my appointments with the midwives they are very supportive. It makes their jobs easier, after all! The thing I think to remember is that the midwife will have other patients to attend to, like an OB, and the doula is there just for you and your partner. I am comforted by the idea of continuous support and expertise, as well as having someone to potentially help in advocating for us if needed. If you're at all thinking about hiring one, I would definitely do some more research. I'm very happy with our choice to hire a doula now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagefrlcb:
    Are you in Atlanta? Are you with a midwife practice or an OB practice with midwives?

Yes - in Atlanta and going to an OB/CNMW practice. It's OBGYN of Atlanta, but they have several OBs and CNMWs on staff and you kind of 'pick your route' and of course we're going the MW route. That's why I'm not sure about the doula factor - it would be great to have someone with us since the MW will have other patients - and to help us out at home to make sure we don't go to the hospital too early. 

I'm just not sure what their policy/attitude is about doulas in general - my appt is next Wednesday so I'll ask there before committing.

Alex has arrived! 9 pounds, 21 inches - 3 weeks early on March 2nd ~went natural - very intense. whew!~
  • Options
    imageMTAtlanta:

imagefrlcb:

Yes - in Atlanta and going to an OB/CNMW practice. It's OBGYN of Atlanta, but they have several OBs and CNMWs on staff and you kind of 'pick your route' and of course we're going the MW route. That's why I'm not sure about the doula factor - it would be great to have someone with us since the MW will have other patients - and to help us out at home to make sure we don't go to the hospital too early. 

I'm just not sure what their policy/attitude is about doulas in general - my appt is next Wednesday so I'll ask there before committing.

Then I would absolutely get a doula. I went with the one real midwife practice in Atlanta (delivers at AMC, I had a waterbirth) and even with them I had a doula. If I was delivering at Northside or Piedmont and wanted a natural birth there is no way I would leave to it just my midwives, especially as they will be with other patients. It is within your rights to have a doula. If you need one I would contact Labor of Love. 

• Options
    I'm giving birth at a birth center with two midwives and I still have a doula. I see the midwives' role as to take care of the baby. If they have to step out to rest or eat or whatever, they'll do that. The doula will be a constant support person for me AND H. She can get him food, work with the midwives to suggest positions for me, and apply pressure to my back, etc. The midwives certainly might do those things, but it's the doula's job. And if there is an emergency, she can take care of details and make sure H is free to be with baby, wherever that is, while not leaving me alone.

• Options
    I had a hospital birth with a CNM and a doula. The doula was very helpful, especially in setting up the birth pool. She also took care of taking it down while DH and I held DD after she was born.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageMTAtlanta:
    That's why I'm not sure about the doula factor - it would be great to have someone with us since the MW will have other patients - and to help us out at home to make sure we don't go to the hospital too early. 

I would definitely hire a doula for a hospital birth, even with a CNM, for the reasons you mentioned.  We had our DD in a hospital with a CNM and had a doula for that.  In that practice, you get whatever CNM is on duty when you go in.  I had never met the midwife who was there for the birth, but I really didn't care, because I had my DH and my doula who I knew and relied on. If it turns out to be "overkill" you will probably be in a lucky minority.  I wouldn't go in assuming you won't need a doula just because you'll be seen by a CNM.

It's huge that the doula will come to your house during labor.  I just felt so safe and trusting with her there, that it really facilitated the process of labor.

If the hospital has a lame attitude about doulas, that's more their problem than yours.  Of course, they could make it your problem if they're that backwards, but then your doula could interface with them so you are buffered from their attitude and free to birth with the support you deserve. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"