VBAC

Would you/have you tried castor oil?

I am nearly 2 weeks past due and have a RCS scheduled the end of this week.  I feel like I've tried everything to get anything happening but my body and the baby are showing signs that I could be pregnant forever.  I have serious reservations about castor oil but at this point, I have no more time!  I am so depressed at the thought of another c/s so if a day on a toilet means no c/s I will take it, but don't want to do any other harm.  What are your thoughts on trying castor oil?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you/have you tried castor oil?

• Oh, and if it makes any difference, I am maybe 70% effaced max and a fingertip dilated, so not favorable at all for any type of induction or any other intervention.  It would be straight to a RCS.
  • They won't induce you, just an automatic c/s? Just curious. Have you talked to them about using a foley bulb? That could send you into labor. Or AROM? I'd choose AROM over a RCS if they'd let you....? 

I was *this close* to using castor oil, but I didn't. I was 42.5 weeks. I kind of wish I'd tried it, but my midwife told me it could make the baby poop. I knew if there was meconium in my water when it broke they'd send me to section right away, so that scared me out of using castor oil. (However, I've since heard that is an old wives tale) 

• Loading the player...
  • If there's no other option, then I would give it a shot.  If I am not favorable for an induction by 41 weeks, then I will be hitting the castor oil.  My provider can't let you go past 41 weeks, so it's that or an RCS.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I get to 42 weeks I will definitely be hitting the castor oil!  My midwife doesn't recommend it for VBACs, but I will ask her more about why/why not when I get closer.  Lots of labor dust to you!  I hope you get your VBAC :-)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I took 1 tablespoon and had my baby less than 24 hrs later. I was at 41 weeks and a day when I took it. I went to the bathroom three times but it was not bad at all. I'd definitely do it again if I had to. My baby did not pass any meconium in utero. If a baby does, that could simply from being postdates- hard to separate out what caused the mec. The end of a VBAC pregnancy is extra hard. You will have your baby soon. GL!
  • Other ideas (sorry if you've already tried these and this is just annoying):

Sex with mutual orgasm - hard at 40+ weeks I know, membrane sweeps, nipple stimulation, Evening Primrose Oil inserted vaginally.  I did all those and more.

The fact that you're effacing is a great sign!  You can make a 180 degree turn very quickly.  I hope you are in labor soon!

• Have you tried pumping?  I did 15 minutes on each side and didn't even feel any contractions while I was doing it.  But I woke up a few hours later and was having regular contractions and was in labor.

But yeah, I would have tried castor oil if I was close to my scheduled c/s and nothing was happening and I wasn't dilated enough for a bulb or water breaking.

Mama to Elliot (11.09.08) and Jude (09.01.11)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My MW will let me go to 42W1D before inducing.  If I get that far, I will try the castor oil at 42W0D.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i thought castor oil for inducing labor was an old wives tale. huh.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • I had a lot of friends try and and it worked for them.  I know if you google it will tell you about certain foods or natural teas that work I tried the raspberry tea and it did nothing for me lol.  I couldnt get the castor oil done I couldnt even stand to look at it or I would of done it with my first lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"