Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Any Recs for Starter Ice Skates ?

Looking for some ice skates that won't break the bank- good recs?

Re: Any Recs for Starter Ice Skates ?

• Options
    Target sells a brand that expands up to 3 sizes.  You can also check out resale sport shops.  Velcro and ankle support are very helpful.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

I'm a figure skater, so am generally used to more expensive skates, but can offer a few suggestions. 

Don't get plastic. Ankles won't be able to flex at all. And don't get skates that are super thin and floppy. It's a misnomer that people can't skate because their ankles are too weak, when in actuality it's the skates that are the issue. A good leather skate with a separate and flexible (and thicker) tongue is the best bet. Not sure what options are out there that won't break the bank, but in general Reidell (usually sold at pro shops) is a good brand and I'm pretty sure they have beginner skates. I'm sure some of the sporting good stores also have a few options you can look at to get an idea. 

You could always go to the pro shop at your local rink and often there is someone knowledgeable there to help you. Different brands also have different fits, so what your LO wears in a shoe isn't necessarily the size in a skate. For example, I wear at 9 or 9.5 shoe, but an 8 skate, at least in the model I am currently wearing.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageschnappycat:

I'm a figure skater, so am generally used to more expensive skates, but can offer a few suggestions. 

Don't get plastic. Ankles won't be able to flex at all. And don't get skates that are super thin and floppy. It's a misnomer that people can't skate because their ankles are too weak, when in actuality it's the skates that are the issue. A good leather skate with a separate and flexible (and thicker) tongue is the best bet. Not sure what options are out there that won't break the bank, but in general Reidell (usually sold at pro shops) is a good brand and I'm pretty sure they have beginner skates. I'm sure some of the sporting good stores also have a few options you can look at to get an idea. 

You could always go to the pro shop at your local rink and often there is someone knowledgeable there to help you. Different brands also have different fits, so what your LO wears in a shoe isn't necessarily the size in a skate. For example, I wear at 9 or 9.5 shoe, but an 8 skate, at least in the model I am currently wearing.  

Thanks schnappycat - you just saved me 10 minutes of writing!  I was also a competitive figure skater and taught young kids and this is exactly what I was going to write.  I also recommend Reidell.  I think the 1st skates are the most important because if your child hates it at the beginning, it is so hard to get them over that 1st reaction.  Most of the time, it is because their skates don't fit - and it gets hard to convince them it really is fun.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• Options

Little Rocket 380 Girls Double Runner Skates

This is what my DD had when she was 2.  They are double bladed for more balance and they worked great.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Jackson also makes good starter skates. When I was skating (5 years ago), I found their skates to be much more foot shaped than Riedell which was long and narrow. Both have good and fairly inexpensive beginner skates.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"