Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

DS hates getting his clothes and diaper changed! Help!

DS has start to detest getting out of his pj's and getting his diaper changed. What do I do? Its such a battle and I'm tired of fighting it. He has a severe speech delay which we are receiving services for, so its not like he has the words to tell me. As soon as he see's the set of clothes and diaper he runs and hides and then kicks and screams for most of the time I'm changing him. Help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DS hates getting his clothes and diaper changed! Help!

• Options

have you tried letting him change himself?  Or least "help"  If you are not already doing it, try doing the diaper change standing up while you kneel or sit next to DS. 

Starting around 2, DD wanted to get herself dressed - most of the time that meant putting her feet in her pants while I held it for her.  But, we whooped it up whenever she did.  Now, she pretty much dresses herself.  I lay everything out in order - so underpants and undershirt on top, then pants and shirt and socks underneath, shoes next to everything.  It was slow going for awhile, but easier than fussing every 2 minutes.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

When DS started doing that I let him control the situation.  Turns out he wanted to lay on a specific blanket and his travel pillow on the floor while having his diaper changed.  It's weird to me but whatever! He stopped freaking out about clothes changes. 

I also let him pick out his diaper (we do cloth so he can pick which color he wants) and he gets to pick out his pajamas too.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS is the same. Some days he's great and helps out and gets changed/dressed no problem. Other days I swear it takes 30-45 minutes of chasing him and holding him down and negotiating and...ugh. I try to let him change himself and help but he has NO interest, he'd rather run away giggling and then struggle like a monkey if I do get a hold of him. I think it must be a phase.  I try to make whatever it is we're going out for really interesting "do you want to get dressed so we can go to the BOOK STORE? We can check out all the really COOL BOOKS! but you need to be dressed first!" 

Or if it's a trip mommy has to make that could be boring for him... "do you want to go on an adventure with mommy? We'll go on the skytrain (kinda like subway) and you can stand and look out the window! But you need to get changed first!" 

• Options
    I get DS to calm down by "helping."  In the morning, he unzips his pajamas, and I give him an extra wipe to "help" wipe (as long as it's not a poopy diaper).  He calms down right away. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have Audubon birds above the changing table and he likes hearing them chirp.  Sometimes he reads a book or plays with a favorite toy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"