April 2012 Moms
Options

When will the Dr. take you off of work?

I had an appointment today and asked the NP about when the Dr. takes women off of work. She said he takes all women off work at 36 weeks, unless if it is an easy job and he stretches it to 40 weeks. 

36 weeks seems pretty early to me. However, the way my school's spring break lands, it makes sense for me to leave March 16 because the next week is spring break and the week we come back I will be at 38 weeks.

I just don't want to be bored at home.  

Is this something you've discussed with your doctor before? 2+ time moms, what is your experience? 

imageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When will the Dr. take you off of work?

• Options

Uh...never?  I worked past my due date with #1.  I worked up until the weekend of my induction with #2. 

Unless you have a medical reason to not work, you should be able to work up until you go into labor.  I would much rather spend my maternity leave with a baby vs. sitting at home waiting for a baby. 

• Options
    I haven't asked, but I suspect my dr. won't have any limitations for me until I go past my due date (or if I have complications).  My friend who had an OB from the same office let her keep up all normal activities until she went into labor - she went 3 days past due and her water broke at the gym after she was jogging on the treadmill.  crazy girl.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dr. will only take me off of work if it is for the health of the baby. I went up until my induction day with dd and plan to work up until labor with this one as well. I did have to be put on 1/2 day bedrest with dd due to extreme stress at work (I have a great work envrionment now) and going into labor at 25 weeks (then dd decided to come at 41 weeks)! I would check your school work policy but you might want to start after spring break as it might be counted towards your 12 or so weeks off (depending on what you are taking). I was told, as was other teachers in districts around me, that if I went into labor and had the baby over spring break it would count towards my leave days even though other school employees have it off. Just a thought to ask hr and maybe say you are starting leave the monday after spring break!
  • Options
    My dr said that if I needed it, he would get me out of work, but I was good to go up until the weekend I delivered DD.  I don't want to use all my days before.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

That's what I was thinking. I'll ask the doctor at my next appt. instead of my NP.  I am pretty sure I'll be able to work up until labor, unless if I am taken off work for a medical reason.

At MH's job, pregnant women MUST go on state disability once they get their BFP! His employer will not let them work; he is a paramedic. They are always around nasty diseases and they have to lift 400+lb patients sometimes. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    That's insane, definitely not a policy at my office. I'd be pretty annoyed if someone told me I had to start my leave that early, what if you go to 42 weeks? That's half your leave at home without a baby!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Check with your school district.  Mine expected me to work up until I started having contractions.  I stopped working at 39 weeks because that was the start of our week long Thanksgiving break but I had to get a doctor's note.  The kids returned to school when I was 40w1d.  As it turns out, DS didn't come until 41w2d so I ended up just sitting around at home for a long time.  I was glad that my sub plans were all ready and that there was a clear starting point for my sub, but I burned a week of maternity leave for nothing.  Are you planning on returning for any portion of the school year?  If you are, they I would try to work a little bit longer.  It's pretty likely that your LO will come closer to 40 weeks (or later!)
  • Options
    I went on leave at 37 weeks with Ella (she was born 39w4d), but only because I wanted my full 6 weeks of maternity leave (school ended 3 weeks after I had her). I plan on working until 39 weeks this time, which will give me exactly 12 weeks off before the end of the school year. I will need to go back to work for a few days if I deliver any earlier.
  • Options
    my school board will give me 3 months sick leave before the start of 12 month mat leave.  the standard I have seen seems to be stopping at about 36 weeks, and that is my plan.  since it doesn't take anytime off of my mat leave.
  • Options

imagePatella1129:
    Check with your school district.  Mine expected me to work up until I started having contractions.  I stopped working at 39 weeks because that was the start of our week long Thanksgiving break but I had to get a doctor's note.  The kids returned to school when I was 40w1d.  As it turns out, DS didn't come until 41w2d so I ended up just sitting around at home for a long time.  I was glad that my sub plans were all ready and that there was a clear starting point for my sub, but I burned a week of maternity leave for nothing.  Are you planning on returning for any portion of the school year?  If you are, they I would try to work a little bit longer.  It's pretty likely that your LO will come closer to 40 weeks (or later!)

I do not plan on going back this year. Our last day is May 24 and the last day of school is May 23. I think it is like 6-7 weeks after my EDD. I love getting out earlier, but we start the first full week of August.  

imageimageimage
  • Options
    imageTheOriginalSP:

Uh...never?  I worked past my due date with #1.  I worked up until the weekend of my induction with #2. 

Unless you have a medical reason to not work, you should be able to work up until you go into labor.  I would much rather spend my maternity leave with a baby vs. sitting at home waiting for a baby. 

THIS !

-----------------------------
    Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
    Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
    click for toddler hilarity
  • Options
    I work 23 hour shifts and am already having BP issues, so my doc will pull me outta work when my BP gets outta hand...could be next week, could be at our due date.
  • Options

Its a little different here. If I need to go off early I can take up to 15 weeks sick leave without effecting my 50 weeks of maternity leave. I was off starting at 15 weeks last time but still took a full year after DS was born, a few weeks were without pay but our jobs are secured for 18 months post delivery.

I'm thinking ideally I will work up until sometime in early March late February and have 4-6 weeks off pre delivery. I will be in school until the end sometime. If I'm feeling good I may work right until the end, but I'm not sure about that. I'm a nurse and my job is very physcially demanding.

• Options
    Everyone's work situation is different.  I'm a flight attendant, and we're pulled from working flights at 27 weeks.  The three months or so remaining until birth is classified as disability, and we get up to a year (without pay) after the baby is born.  I'm pretty thrilled about it.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I wanted to work up until I gave birth, but I had some major swelling and my office was on the third floor (historic building, no elevator) and I had to trudge up and down the stairs 10+ times a day. After my Dr. found this out she requested I stop working at 36 weeks, but I stretched it to close to 38 weeks.

ETA: I was able to take four weeks before giving birth and still take 12 weeks after. But I was afraid I would go out that early, be two weeks over due and waste some of my maternity leave.

• Options
    I got pregnancy carpal tunnel last time at around 32 weeks and had to stop since I am a massage therapist. I'll prob stop around the same time this time, but it's only extra money for us, so NBD. I'm planning on taking some continuing education classes in late February, so if I haven't stopped by then, that will be my stopping point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would never leave that early unless it was medically necessary, bed rest for example.  Why waste so much of your time off just sitting at home?  Especially considering that you might not deliver until 41-42 weeks, that's 5-6 weeks of your leave.

I moved a few months before DS was born so this ended up not being an issue, but I had planned to work right up until delivery.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• Options

I'm hoping my dr will sign my leave request to be finished at 39w2days because that is my first day back after spring break and I'd like to let the sub start it off fresh. However, it may need to have some medical information to qualify for disability

However, my district expects you to work until you are in labor or have a dr note with a disability. I forgot to ask my dr at the last appt but will next month.

If I take the time off I want it will be exactly 12 weeks of leave until the end of the school year (mid June).

March 22- last day of work/spring break starts

April 2 (mon)- school resumes, it will be my first official day of leave

April 7 (Sat) my due date

• Options
    i was put on medical leave at 17 weeks because of blood pressure and bad cramping issues. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I worked until 39 weeks 4 days. I went to work that morning started seeing fans, went to the hospital, was sent home, started contracting and DD was born the next day. About 24 hours from when I left work.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    It all depends on your doctor and your job. My job is somewhat physically demanding. I also need to fit behind a wheel, evacuate a bus if needed and walk. I may be taken out earlier just because my employer doesn't like to plow and sand their 5 acre lot. I am not risking a fall and pre-term labor for this job! I will go and get out of work rather then losing money on sick days. If the doctor signs the papers for it, I can collect TDI, it will not effect my mat leave and even after the 8 weeks given after birth, there is no school in our district so I can collect Unemployment until the end of August/start of school.
  • Options
    imageMrs.Teddy:

Its a little different here. If I need to go off early I can take up to 15 weeks sick leave without effecting my 50 weeks of maternity leave. I was off starting at 15 weeks last time but still took a full year after DS was born, a few weeks were without pay but our jobs are secured for 18 months post delivery.

I'm thinking ideally I will work up until sometime in early March late February and have 4-6 weeks off pre delivery. I will be in school until the end sometime. If I'm feeling good I may work right until the end, but I'm not sure about that. I'm a nurse and my job is very physcially demanding.

Really 50 weeks????  Whoa, where are you a nurse at?  That is amazing!  I am a nurse and won't get near that kind of leave!  Sounds like an amazing benefit!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I hope to walk from work to the hospital to deliver
    Kellen 4.27.12 Miller 6.30.13 Baby #3 edd 9.7.15
  • Options
    imagelindsdodge:
    imageMrs.Teddy:

Really 50 weeks????  Whoa, where are you a nurse at?  That is amazing!  I am a nurse and won't get near that kind of leave!  Sounds like an amazing benefit!

I'm not positive, but I think Mrs. Teddy lives in Canada. She probably gets much better maternity benefits than we do in America. Not to push people's political buttons, but our healthcare system sucks. Legally, we are only entitled to 12 weeks unpaid leave before they give our job away. Unless you are one of the lucky ones that can afford to take more time on a 1 parent salary, that's all you get. Watch the movie Sicko. Did you know in France they send a nanny to your house (for free, a treat from the government) to help you with laundry and new baby care??

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    He told me that unless there are complications, I would be working right up to my EDD.
    Visit The Nest!
    5 cats. 1 baby.Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My doctor will actually write me out of work whenever I choose, but it won't be for a long time. Last time I planned to work right up until I delivered, but I was so miserable (it was really hot and our building had no a/c and I was HUGE) that I ended up going out around 38.5 weeks. Depending on how things go this time the plan is the same...work up until I deliver.

My biggest fear: my water breaking at work. lol

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

When I deliver?? Or unless something is wrong, and I need to put on bedrest for PTL. Then again I sit behind a desk all day, so it's not like I can't work with my feet up. 

• Options
    When I have the baby ...
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    Last time my doctor wrote me a work note at 38 weeks. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options
    I worked until the day I delivered. I was 37 weeks went to work ( I am teacher) went to an appt after school. That is where I found out I was 4 cm dil. So I will prob. do the same this time.
  • Options
    imageTheOriginalSP:

All of this!  I was actually working while in labor with DS.  Contractions started at 2:30am and at around 6am I decided it was the real thing so I finished up some stuff I was working on and sent out emails to my coworkers letting them know where I left off on stuff and what still needed to be done.

• Options
    I worked until about 37 weeks (retail store, 9 hour shifts 45 minutes away from home). I saved up all of my sick and vacation time and used it before starting FMLA.
  • Options

I have been high-risk for both of my pregnancies and I worked up to the day I delivered at 39 weeks.  I delivered on a Monday, but before I went to the hospital I stopped at work to make sure I got everything in order the Friday prior, I was there for about an hour or so. 

With this LO, I will work up until I deliver unless my condition worsens. I already see both MFM and OB every other week, unfortunately they are not on the same week, so I have appointments weekly. 

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • Options
    Unless there were complications my doc lets me work up until the day I deliver. And i'm greatful because the FMLA leave starts on my first day out and I want to spend every day I can with the baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm hoping she won't.  I was signed out of work a month before DS's due date because I was starting to show signs of pre-eclampsia.  I love my doctor, but sometimes she's too over-cautious and she seems to love signing people out of work (several of my other teacher friends go to her and she has taken almost all of them out well before their due dates).

Things are looking great for me so far (it was around this time with my pregnancy with DS that my blood pressure started creeping up), so hopefully I've got things under control this time around.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"