Austin Babies
Options

Birthing Poll clicky #1

Just have a lot of birthing things on my mind and thought I would poll the locals.[Poll]
Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>

Re: Birthing Poll clicky #1

• Options
    guh. i really didn't want pitocin since i wasn't planning on an epidural and heard how bad those contractions would be (horrible!), but my water broke and my contractions were so spaced out AND i was only 1 cm dilated. they had to get things moving bc i did NOT want to get cut open.
  • Options

Contrary to popular assumption, pitocin is still given to you even if you have a c-section. It's a finite dose (as opposed to being dosed to augment labor.) Pitocin helps your uterus contract and staunch blood flow.

Side effects from pitocin still occur with c-sections. Pitocin can act as an anti-diuretic and cause swelling. This sometimes throws women off when they start to swell postpartum. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:

Contrary to popular assumption, pitocin is still given to you even if you have a c-section. It's a finite dose (as opposed to being dosed to augment labor.) Pitocin helps your uterus contract and staunch blood flow.

Side effects from pitocin still occur with c-sections. Pitocin can act as an anti-diuretic and cause swelling. This sometimes throws women off when they start to swell postpartum. 

interesting, did not know this.

Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • Options
    imageMrsAJL:

You told me this shortly after our girls were born and you were the first person to mention it to me. It explained SO much!
  • Options
    It wasn't planned, but after over 24 hours of no progressing labor they gave it to me. (36 hours of labor- at that point I didn't care what they gave me - I was done! ) :)
  • Options
    i had pitocin with beatrice and not with ruby. i can tell you that the stories are correct- contractions with pitocin were much harder for me than they were without pitocin. i only had it for a few hours with beatrice (I was already at 5cm when i went in, no contractions the whole time i was pregnant) but it was rough. i was still able to cope with the pain without the epidural but those contractions were intense! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageChandley:
    It wasn't planned, but after over 24 hours of no progressing labor they gave it to me. (36 hours of labor- at that point I didn't care what they gave me - I was done! ) :)

Chandley, When did your water break? I would imagine they would want to get the pitocin going earlier than 24 hours?

• Options
    I didn't plan to use pitocin because I wanted to avoid an epidural, and I knew I would want one with pitocin contractions.  I labored for 36 hours and made it to 8 cm on my own, but then the morning shift change happened, ushering in a new doctor who was very adamant about starting pitocin because she didn't think my labor contractions were strong enough.  I still maintain I simply tolerated the contractions well, and could have progressed on my own without any trouble, especially after she broke my water.  But, I ended up giving in because she was impossible to talk to (one of the "don't question me - I know what's best" kinds) and after the epidural and pitocin, things went really quickly.  I was 10 cm and ready to push at my next check, and DD was born 15 minutes later.
  • Options
    Both times for me, both times I was induced early.
  • Options
    My water broke at home but by the time we got the hospital I still wasn't having contrax so they gave me pit to speed things up.  Maybe it's because I don't have a benchmark of contrax without pit but I didn't think the contrax were that bad.
  • Options
    I wasn't allowed any pitocin b/c it was a VBAC. No labor augmentation for me.
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Options
    imageKittyFX:

imageChandley:

Chandley, When did your water break? I would imagine they would want to get the pitocin going earlier than 24 hours?

They had to break my water for me around the time of the pitocin. I was having contractions every 2 minutes for about 24 hours, but my body wasn't kicking into labor. 

• Options
    I was given pitocin to start labor since I was induced.  I did end up with a c/s after trying to birth vaginally.  L was facing the wrong way and wouldn't come out.  We even tried the vacuum.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"