March 2012 Moms

Horrible Nicknames?

DH and I drove out of state to see my folks for Thanksgiving.  First thing my sister says to me is, "So, I've been meaning to ask you- will you call him Eddy Teddy?"  This was the first I had ever even thought that Edwin Theodore might be open to a lame nickname, especially since we planned on calling him Edwin or Theo, but never Ed or Ted.  I flat out told her I really didn't like that name, and I would appreciate it if she didn't mention it again.

Fastforward to the next day while we are visiting my grandfather in the hospital, and he says, in response to hearing the baby's name, "Oh, Ed Ted!"  So on two separate occasions, from two separate people, I get that horrible nickname.  Then my dad has to chime in, "It's official- his name is Eddy Teddy!  It's stuck!" 

So I cried.  And after I made myself feel better, and my mom told me that Theodore was a lovely name, I cried again.

SO.  Would you consider changing your LO's name if you knew that people, especially people who will have a large role in your LO's life, would call him/her something that they KNOW you don't like (because they totally will)?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickersimage

Re: Horrible Nicknames?

• I wouldn't consider changing the name! Just make it very clear that you will not accept those nicknames! It's one thing if they use them as terms of endearment, like they would use "honey" or "sweetie", but let them know you really would not like them to use Eddy Teddy in place of the names or nicknames you have chosen. 

My own name is Caroline and I can't tell you how many people try to re-name me Carrie, even though I have never had a nickname in my life. I just tell them "Actually, I prefer to just be Caroline, thanks!" and it's not an issue after that. Usually. You'll always come across buttheads who won't let up, but most people are very respectful!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I named DS1 Evan, my family HATED it at first and they were coming up with stupid nicknames for him. They all agreed on one that I could not stand....VAN. I was so dead set against calling him that since his name is Evan not Van. I did not back down from my family about getting rid of the name Evan and everyone now we all call him Vanny. All Im saying is don't change your name just because your family wants to make up a stupid nick name, You want to call him Theo or Edwin, super awesome nick names btw, start calling him Theo now and you will be suprised it might stick with everyone. They may never forget Eddy Teddy, but atleast they (hopefully) only use it once or twice in passing.

• Loading the player...
  • Well I guess I kind of did. We had been talking about Henry for a boy when u was pregnant with my first and my dad replied "like HANK?!" and then that was the end of Henry for me. I hate hate hate Hank.  

image        image
  • If it is a name you truly love, I wouldn't change it, but I do think it's pretty disrespectful of people to continue to push the issue of calling him something that you don't want him to be called. And I would definitely tell them that.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I love your name and would never dream of calling someone else's child by a name other than what the parents accept.  Stick with it hun!  Tell your family that this is not something you take as lightly as they seem to and that you do not like when they call him eddy teddy and if they respect you, they shouldn't do it!
  • When we decided on Lucian for DS and told the fam, my MIL (God bless her) said "Oh! What's his nickname; Lucie?" Indifferent To which I replied "Nope- no nicknames! He has to earn one like the rest of us. :)"

Growing up, I had very few nn's- the one my grandpa gave me was Holly-Wolly. Mom hated it, but he grew up calling me that as a term of endearment (I was his Holly-Wolly!) and I love it- now that he's getting up in years I sign cards like that because it makes him smile.

I think there's a happy medium to be had- like only one person (or two) gets to use the nn Eddy Teddy (which isn't all that bad, hon) and everyone else has to call him either Edwin or Theo- whichever YOU choose. I agree with Salt, too- let them know it's disrespectful if they continue.

• Most people in his life won't even know his middle name unless he specifically goes by it, so I don't think many others will independently think of Ed-Ted or whatever (I know I didn't). If your family is going to be stupid and call him those nicknames just to annoy you, you will have to decide if you love the name in spite of that. Maybe they'll stop, or you'll learn to accept it. If you are sure they won't stop, make sure it's not going to make you boil with resentment and cause bigger problems within the family.

Once he's old enough to express himself, hopefully your family will listen to your son when he tells them what he wants to be called. Of course, he may enjoy having special nicknames from different people he is close to. And a lot of babies and toddlers have very silly childish nicknames that fit them perfectly at the time and then fade away. I see Eddy-Teddy in that category.

• I'm enough of an as$ that if someone were to call my child a nn I really didn't like I would start with trying to correct them as soon as they said it "It's ___ not ::annoying nn::!" and then go to the next response of "till you call LO by his/her name you are not going to see LO." 

Yes a bit harsh but if I really felt strongly about it that's where I'd take it.

One of my SILs was saying she's going to call LO "Robby-Doo Two." (I think partly because she didn't remember the name we picked)  Her nn for R when he was a baby, and yes even on occasion now, is "Robby-Doo."  R doesn't mind too much, but if/when he does he will flat out ignore her.  I don't care if she calls him that but MY baby will be another story.  I will corrector it's Liam, not Will (or Bill, Billy, Willy) but if she pulls out Robby-Doo Two again I'm making DH talk to her because I know I'll be mean.      

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My brother's name is Anthony.  My mom started calling him Pooh Bear when he was a baby and now 28 years later, EVERYONE calls my brother Pooh.  =)  (I guess this is my way of saying that nicknames can stick!)

BF's nephew is William Joseph.  BF's 18 year old cousin thought it would be funny if she called him "Billy Joe".  BF's sister FLIPPED!  It was pretty epic.  

• I would not change the name, but my family also would not call the child anything that we didn't want them to.
  • Because everyone could use a laugh--

We live in a very rural area and it does have its share of rednecks.  Our boy name is "Frederick Joseph."  People keep asking us what LO's nn would be if we have a boy, and we are always the ones to shock them with a facetious answer.  Smile  DH always answers in the most redneck sounding voice he can manage and says "Freddy Ricky Joe."  People are horrified by our response and we laugh at the reaction we get.  I have a terrible habit of not shortening people's names...  I still often don't call DH by his "nn" even though it's what he goes by at work.  I call him by his full first name, so I figure I'd do it with LO, too...

OP, MiL thinks it's hilarious that LO's name could be shortened to "Freddy" and she makes sure to say it all nasally and elongated to make it sound like she's making fun of the name.  But, to me, it's waaaay better than any of the crap she tried to suggest.  All in all, it's your kid and they're going to probably add their own nn in circles of friends, anyways.  If he doesn't like a nn, don't be mad at him for not responding to it and be glad he has a sense of who he wants to be and maybe others will get the hint.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not a fan of nicknames to begin with, especially if you purposefully name your child one name and plan on calling them another - definately NMS.  (my friend named her little girl Penelope, which I really like, but they only call her Nelli, which I also like, but why not just name her Nelli then ??? - I don't get it, but I respect the parents' wishes and call her Nelli)

I would just reitterate to everyone that your child is called "_____" and always refer to them by that name.  Eventually other people will understand you prefer a specific name for your baby.  If they do happen to call them a nickname, I would politely correct them and say, "Oh, you mean ___"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • imageKatieMarie27:

I'm not a fan of nicknames to begin with, especially if you purposefully name your child one name and plan on calling them another - definately NMS.  (my friend named her little girl Penelope, which I really like, but they only call her Nelli, which I also like, but why not just name her Nelli then ??? - I don't get it, but I respect the parents' wishes and call her Nelli)

My parents named me Elizabeth fully intending on calling me Betsy as a nn.  They love Betsy but felt I should have a "formal" name in case I wanted something for professional use.  I like it though because it's a quick way to screen people/phone calls.  Strangers tend to call me Elizabeth, Beth or Liz. 

Also my dad is John but normally goes by Jack.  That wasn't planned (as a kid he was called Jackie) but just kind of happened.  But he likes it for the same reasons I do- it's easy to pick out telemarketers who pretend to be your "best friend." 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm sure its annoying, but I also feel like people will call him whatever they want to and you really can't control that. you can be upset about it, but that's pretty much the extent of it.  My family has silly nicknames for everyone -- my baby sister is Alyson, but we all call her "Sal" and have never, ever, called her anything else (excpet my husband, who calls her 'Roids, because once she mixed up steroids and hemmorhoids). 

My cousin named her daughter Colbie and my grandma always called her "cheez-it" (like the Colby cheese). It infuriated my cousin, but now that my grandma is gone, its something she and her daughter look back on fondly.

I guess my point is, if its something the kid doesn't want to be called, he'll make it known when he's old enough, but if its just something mom doesn't like, I'm pretty sure you're not making any headway.

(also, to the PP who said "unless you call him by his real name, you don't get to see him -- REALLY??? It sounds like you're just looking for any reason not to have them see him. If a nickname will destroy the relationship, maybe there's another problem.) 

Married: 10.28.2004 BFP 1: 2006, m/c 5 weeks BFP 2: 2008, m/c 10 weeks BFP 3: 2009, m/c 6 weeks BFP 4: July 15, 2011 Welcome Parker! Feb. 19, 2012 image
  • I'm an habitual nick-namer. I've always been that way. I even starting calling Reese "Roo" and I'm sure once she's actually here she'll have a new nickname. I think nn's can be a term of endearment, like a pet name. When DH and I started dating, I called him Lil Foot. I still call him that on occasion. On a regular basis, I call him Jay Jay - even though his name is Jason and most people call him Jay, I'm the only one that calls him Jay Jay. My family is the same way. My name is Amy, I can't tell you the last time my dad called me Amy rather than Aim and my mom refers to me as Amos. Doesn't bother me a bit. Not everyone is going to refer to LO as a nn, most likely just close family and possible friends.

Me (33). DH (37). DD (2.2012). MCs x4. After 4 years & 7 months, due 4.2018!

• I have a friend who named her son Scott Jr after her husband but they call him Scotty. Her family always tries to call him Jr. and he won't respond. Just make it clear to DS and to family that is not his name and I'm sure your LO will set them straight if they try to break the rules.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I totally cried myself to sleep last night because of this name dilema, which made DH really upset that we even told my family what the name is.

But you ladies totally made me feel better about Edwin Theodore.  So even though most of you won't return to this post for a recap, THANK YOU.  Sometimes a little reassurance is all a gal needs.  :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"