North Carolina Babies

Need help with winter boot sizing for multi-year use

Wow, that was a fun post title to try to word!

I want to get DD some winter boots on the off-chance we get some snow this year. I'd like to buy them big so that she can wear them next winter, too. (We'll just stuff the toes with socks!) If she's in a 6 right now, do you think an 8 would get her through the winter next year?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need help with winter boot sizing for multi-year use

• 8's would be huge for her now! And they could be big next winter too. Since snow is tricky to walk in anyhow and snow boots are already heavier and clunkier than normal shoes, I'd suggest trying to find some used ones in her current size and just buy new ones when her foot grows. At her age, the extra length will be difficult for her to navigate with even with socks....they'll be heavy too. We always buy boots at a consignment sale or from another Mommy, once upon a child, etc.We did get 2 years use out of a pair of boots, but they were only half a size too big the first year.

Their foot growth slows way down at some point. For us it was between 1.5 and 2 and has only grown maybe a full size per year since then.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I personally don't think that would be a good idea.  They would be way too big now and may not even fit next year.

I get rainboots for my DD for the winter.  I get them at Kohl's for $15 or so.  Then she can wear them for the winter and also for rain in the fall and spring.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecmbrown:

I personally don't think that would be a good idea.  They would be way too big now and may not even fit next year.

I get rainboots for my DD for the winter.  I get them at Kohl's for $15 or so.  Then she can wear them for the winter and also for rain in the fall and spring.

cmbrown, I thought about rainboots, but do they keep DD's feet warm enough? Are you able to wear shoes with them, or just socks?

• imageuncjules:
    imagecmbrown:

I personally don't think that would be a good idea.  They would be way too big now and may not even fit next year.

cmbrown, I thought about rainboots, but do they keep DD's feet warm enough? Are you able to wear shoes with them, or just socks?

Realistically, a toddler is going to play in the snow for like 15-20 minutes. Thick socks & rain boots would probably keep their toes plenty warm.

LOVE this idea! I bought snow boots last year & never used them. DS already has rain boots - now bring on the snow!  

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Yeah, walking around in boots that are a couple of sizes too big might be a bit of a challenge, even stuffed with socks. Last year when it snowed, we went out in it for like 15 minutes, and DD just wore tennis shoes. She barely walked in it--we walked down the street, holding her, for most of it. It was so cold we couldn't stay out long anyway.

I'd either go with the rainboot suggestion with maybe some wool socks, or just get some cheapy ones both years. I found some at a consignment sale for H this year, but they also have them at Walmart right now for pretty cheap. I just wouldn't wait until it actually snows to look for them, like I did last year! They'll all be gone!

And I hope we get a good snow this year! We bought a sled and some Ice-melt stuff after it snowed last time, and of course, got nothing after that! Figures..:-) 

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• I love the rainboot idea!! We have rain boots and will just layer socks and such underneath!! I do need to find some heavier snow like pants to have. i've always lucked out getting them at consginment sales but didnt find any this year.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I say go with rainboots, or you could do what we did growing up....pair of socks, then either a plastic grocery bag or syran wrap, another pair of socks and tennis shoes.  Keeps your feet warm and dry without having to have snow boots.
  • I will have to check out rain boots. I'm not sure why that never occurred to me. I think I was just obsessed with the idea of lined, warm boots, but I can always double (or triple!) the socks. Thanks!
  • She did fine last year in rainboots and one or two pairs of socks!!

Kohl's doesn't have the jumping rainboots I got for cheap last year.  Think I waited too long to get them this year!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"