Toddlers: 24 Months+

If you have a boy who is 2-2 1/2 years old...

How much does he talk?  DS mostly plays with little girls, so I don't compare his language skills to theirs because I've always heard boys learn to talk slower.  But I know little girls who are 6 months younger than him who far outtalk him.  And we had a playdate with a little boy who is 3 months older than my son and he could talk in sentences.  DS knows a lot of individual words, but he still isn't putting them into sentences, except phrases like "No Mama" or "Baby Eat" or "Me Milk."  Does this sound normal?  He's almost 27 months old.  Is it just a little behind or is this something I should look into?  I tend to be the type who doesn't worry enough, so I don't want to let it slide if he really is way behind.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you have a boy who is 2-2 1/2 years old...

• Its hard to say as they all learn at different levels.   My son just turned 2 about 2 weeks ago and he can say things like ...

give doggie treat

give doggie supper

no thank you

yes please

i love woo mommy ( my favorite)

I want soup

So, no full sentenses yet but this is justa  bit of what he says.  Hes learning now to put words together.  Hope this helps.

Mother to a beautiful boy born Nov 18, 2009. Feb 2011 m/c Blighted Ovum at 5 wks 4 days July 2011 m/c at 5 weeks 3 days Sep 13 2011 BFP BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My ds is 2 1/2 and in the past couple months his language has exploded. When he first turned 2 he spoke in 2-3 work sentences like "daddy work", "mommy eat". Around 28-29 months, he added more and started into 4 word sentences. Now at almost 31 months he will say "Hayden want cheerios please" or or "Daddy go to work". 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My DS is 28 months and has only been speaking in 2-3-4 word groups for about a month.  He didn't say more than mama, dada and a handful of words until he was past 2 though.  He's talking up a storm and really tries to make sentences but he's not there yet.  Honestly, we were thisclose to calling for an EI evaluation after his 2 year checkup.  We drug our feet and he started chatting like crazy about 3-4 weeks later.  Now he doesn't stop. 

Boys ARE later talkers than girls.  My friends with girls born the same month as DS are talking full sentences, using pronouns correctly, etc and DS isn't.  I'm not worried b/c he's made such huge strides in the past few months.  As a comparison, the little boy at daycare who is a month younger (and has older siblings) still isn't talking more than a few words.  He babbles all the time but it's not anything I can decipher!

It's so hard not to compare them though....I know!

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Okay, that makes me feel better.  My DS is a little younger than all of yours, so maybe he's pretty much normal.  I just remember the pedi saying that right around their 2nd birthday, boys start talking a lot, but apparently that's not true for all.
  • I actually had my almost 2 year old tested for speech delays.  He says some two word phrases - like Hi Dada and he knows the name of things to point to them but he never asks for his juice or anything like that.

They determined that he's delayed in his expressive speech but not enough to qualify for speech therapy.  My pedi also told us that between 2 and 2.5 there is usually an exposion in language so we're just waiting for that.  I have noticed that he says and is trying to say much more just in the past couple of weeks.

• DS's speaking exploded recently and he is a chatterbox and speaks in full sentences.  I wouldn't worry too much at this point but you can certainly ask your pedi at your next appointment.  The pedi commented that DS was ahead verbally and part of that is likely due to having a chatterbox older sister to compete with.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• DS didn't start talking until he was 26 months.  All he said before that was mama, dada, baby.  By 2.5 years old, we felt he was caught up to his peers.  Some people couldn't understand some words, but he was saying them non the less.  We had his hearing tested and were leaning towards other evaluations.  We waited a bit longer, then he just started talking.  From what you say your son is saying is right about what DS was doing.
  • Bless you for this post!

DS is 25 months old and he sounds exactly like your son. But, he honestly could go awhile without talking if we did push it by asking him, "What's this?" "What's that?" But I am not forcing him to talk at all either. He recently started grabbing my hand and taking me to what he wants. Like, if we go to the fridge, I'll say, "Do you want milk?" and he'll shake his head yes. Then I will say, "Say, please." or "Say, milk." Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. But I still give it to him regardless. It's not worth a fit for me, not yet anyway. :/

Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
    BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
    BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
    HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
    1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
    U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
    U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

• My DS talks like crazy, so I won't answer your question with specifics.  The expectation for 2 years olds is 50+ words and 2-3 word sentences.  If your child is up to that, you probably have nothing to worry about. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • When DS was 2, he said very little. In fact, I remember him signing "thank you" at his birthday party because he couldn't/wouldn't say it. 

Around 2 years and 2-5 months his speech really took off. He was starting to put 2-3 word sentences together. In the past 6 months (so 2.5 years to 3 years) his speech has EXPLODED. Seriously. I was really getting worried about him when he was 2, but now he is completely on track for his age. He constantly surprises me with what he says. Just today at lunch he said, "Mom, I don't want to sleep on my Buzz bed I want to sleep on the floor. It's more comfortable." LOL! Cracked me up. 

Anyway. All that to say.... it can all change very quickly! The most important thing at that age, is that he's understanding what you say.  

• imageemberlee3:
    My DS talks like crazy, so I won't answer your question with specifics.  The expectation for 2 years olds is 50+ words and 2-3 word sentences.  If your child is up to that, you probably have nothing to worry about. 

Just FYI to the OP, my 2 year old was no where near 50 words at 2. He said more like 5-10 words. 

• DS is 26 months and he talks a lot, he can say just about anything- he puts 7-9 worlds together.

I wouldnt stress out, if it is really bothering you maybe take him to his docotr and see what he or she thinks

• imageBlinkingLight1:

imageemberlee3:
    My DS talks like crazy, so I won't answer your question with specifics.  The expectation for 2 years olds is 50+ words and 2-3 word sentences.  If your child is up to that, you probably have nothing to worry about. 

Just FYI to the OP, my 2 year old was no where near 50 words at 2. He said more like 5-10 words. 

Ditto.  Mine had maybe 12-15 TOPS and most of those were pretty rough.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • I go through this all the time in my head.  My DS will be 2 in 2 weeks, and I feel like while he has some complete sentences, but he doesn't count numbers, he doesn't say "milk", "food", etc.  He can make most animal sounds, identify most body parts, but he usually points.  I often think that I want to get him evaluated - he was preemie and I teach, so I think the worst.  Also, I have no idea how to count the number of words that he says... 
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"