Nurseries and Baby Gear

mattress protection?

I am confused by all of the options for crib mattress protection.  I was going to buy a traditional kind of mattress pad, the kind that is fitted.  I also saw mattress pads that weren't fitted that I guess are like an absorbant blanket that you would put under the sheet. Another option I saw was "sheet savers" that go on top of the sheet and usually had ties so you could tie down the corners.  Is this all necessary? Is just a fitted mattress cover enough?

Married DH September 2008
DD1 Born March 2012
DD2 Due November 2014

image         image

imageimage

Re: mattress protection?

• I used a mattress pad at first until I ran it through the dryer and ruined it.  Didn't want to buy another one since LO never leaks so I just use 2 lap pads under the sheet.  It seems to work and stays in position.

• Oh and the mattress pads are super hard to put on so that was another reason I wanted to stop using them.

• Loading the player...
  • Amazing how many products there are aren't there?

I'm a FTM so might be off...but we got the traditional crib mattress pad (2 of them in case we need to change in the middle of the night).

I would think this would be enough. I've seen the sheet savers but don't love the tie downs. I've also seen flat pads (called Lap Pads). I'm thinking of getting these to lay under LO if he/she spits up a lot or seems to have leaks in the middle of the night.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just have a fitted mattress pad. Got it at target and it is easy to put on...just like a sheet.
  • We never bothered with a mattress pad. Most mattresses (I think at least, mine is) are covered in a kind of water-resistant coating already. Really, a mattress pad is just one more thing to have to change in the middle of the night if a diaper leaks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My plan is two mattress pads and two fitted sheets, with the intention of keeping them layered on the mattress at all times (mattress, pad, sheet, pad, sheet, baby on top). If there is a leak, I rip off the top pad and sheet layer and throw in the wash, and have another layer ready to go. The pad is just a buffer in my mind between the fresh sheets. Once the wash cycle is complete, I'll just layer it back up so it's good to go.

I got this idea when I was a nanny to a baby with horrible reflux and the occasional projectile vomiting always just as soon as I put her down in her crib. A million sheet changes later, I got clever and it made it much easier. 

• We use a mattress pad and we also have the sheet savers. Honestly, we have never used the sheet savers and now that LO moves, there is no way they would work out. If I were to do things over I would get an "ultimate crib sheet" which goes over our normal sheet so you don't have the change sheets in the middle of the night.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our mattress is covered in plastic, so it is waterproof. 

We use a traditional mattress pad (we have 2).  The plastic backing ripped in the washer/dryer so I have taken that part off now.

We tried Ultimate Crib Sheets when DD was much younger - and they were a PITA.  I wish we hadn't used them at all.  At least they were gifts so we didn't feel like we wasted our money.

• imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

My plan is two mattress pads and two fitted sheets, with the intention of keeping them layered on the mattress at all times (mattress, pad, sheet, pad, sheet, baby on top). If there is a leak, I rip off the top pad and sheet layer and throw in the wash, and have another layer ready to go. The pad is just a buffer in my mind between the fresh sheets. Once the wash cycle is complete, I'll just layer it back up so it's good to go.

I got this idea when I was a nanny to a baby with horrible reflux and the occasional projectile vomiting always just as soon as I put her down in her crib. A million sheet changes later, I got clever and it made it much easier. 

This is actually a pretty good idea.  Thanks!

Married DH September 2008
    DD1 Born March 2012
    DD2 Due November 2014

image         image

imageimage

• I have a two year old and although the layer idea sounds good, it is not super practical.  First, when my son has leaked it has gone through the sheet and mattress pad and assumiing it would go through the next layer too.  Plus that would make me nervous with 4 layers on there because it would add a lot of thickness that is squishy to the baby's bed.  I do like mattress pads, they add a little bit of softness to the crib mattress itseld,  but not too much.  I agree with a post above about they are a PIA to put on, but I just suck it up and do it.
  • We got an Ultimate Crib Sheet and I thought it was going to be the best thing ever.  I gave ours away.  Found it to be a total PITA/no easier to change than a sheet.  Also, it's a very cold material.  I ended up getting fuzzy velour sheets from Amazon :)  Warm and cozy - I wish I had some!  I have a mattress pad under it but LO didn't sleep in his crib for over 5 months.  Since then, we've never had any kind of mess in the middle of the night.  Overnight diapers work wonders and if you use a sleep sack, that's going to absorb some messes too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"