Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Taking your little one out...

for the first time.

How long did you wait to go to places like a restaurant, party, etc.  Where there are more than 10 people or so...

Re: Taking your little one out...

• Options
    About 6 days old...I agree with RachaelA, no way I could stay cooped up.  We went out but NO ONE was allowed to touch her, she stayed in her stroller the whole time...Went to Walmart, Target, etc...Just quick trips out.  It also helped once DH went back to work, I think if I couldn't go out I would have gone insane.  Our first solo trip was to Target, it was a feeling of freedom knowing that I was able to go out (short quick trips as they were, they helped a lot)...It got me used to what was needed to go out (diaper bag supplies, etc)...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First time was 2 weeks old after her 2 week check up. We went to BRU.

First party was at 5 weeks and we only let either us or grandma's hold her. Might be taking her to her first restaurant this weekend.

Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 - 11/16/10 CP 12/1/10
    Our team green turned into team pink! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 17dpo - 47, 19dpo - 114 Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have been invited to a social gathering for work, probably about 30ish people.  I know people are going to want to hold my son.  He'll be 2 weeks old...I'm thinking I shouldn't take him out...WWYD?
  • Options

DS was in NICU so from 3 days old we were loading up DD to go see her brother daily from 4-10days old...not really an "outing" per se but we'd eat in the hospital cafeteria with her daily and thats not exactly a sterile area.

At 8 days old we took DD to church (DS was still in NICU). Then starting at 2 weeks we would start bringing them on the weekends when we would go get groceries. Like PP I don't let people touch them and try to stand in a position that owuld make it awkward for them to get too close. I also keep one of the handi-bac's on the handle of each carseat so when we are at an occasion where people will want to hold them (like family/friends ect) its very easy to request they sanitize before they pick them up.

My theory was the longer we waited the harder it would be...I've yet to take them both to run errands on my own, and true to my own advice I'm now scared to. If it doesn't have a drive thru or we aren't going in to meet someone I don't take them out and about without DH.

• Options

I would wear the baby in a wrap and tell anyone who asked to hold him that since its flu season you're going to keep him in the carrier for the night. 

I would wear mine in the moby since she is almost entirely covered and keep one hand on her - it kind of tells people to look but don't touch.

• Options
    We took LO to Target when he was a week old. Then at 2 weeks old we took him out to eat and to the mall. We just keep him in his car seat and no one bothers him.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We took dd grocery shopping the day after we got home from the hospital.
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    With our DD we took her out right away. We were in stores the day after she came home and in a restaurant by 5 days old.

With DS it was a lot different. He is a preemie and was in the NICU for 11 days. He had chest tubes and breathing problems, so we were advised to keep him in. Even though it was awful, we did it until 7 weeks old when he got his shots. Now we take him out little by little. We haven't done church yet because it's too concentrated. We've done the mall and various stores (with him being worn for extra protection). I've never worried about something this much! With DD I never worried about her getting sick, now with DS that's all I worry about. But the circumstances are much different.
    SAHM to the sweetest little girl and boy... I love my job!

Praying for Baby Camryn
    Praying for Baby Scarlett
    Remembering Baby Adam
  • Options

I held her when we went into a store at one week. I went to a baby shower at 10 days and H brought her by at the end. Then, we went to Target after her 2 week appointment. I was cautious with her, but my pedi told me that fevers result in automatic hospital stays until 2 months. :(

I hate random people touching my baby. Heck, I hate weird people staring at my baby. When we go out, I still sometimes cover her car seat. There are stupid people who go out with serious illnesses and then will hover over your baby.

At two weeks, I would have declined the party or just popped in myself for a few minutes. We were still trying to figure out breastfeeding.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options

His first non doctor outing was at 11 days old. I wore him in a moby and we went to pick pumpkins so that there wouldn't be a lot of people around.

Then at four weeks PP I started going to a new moms group with 6 other women I know and their babies (we all freakishly had our babies within a two weeks of each other and one on the same day as my LO).

So we've been taking him out fairly consistently for a while but not in situations where others touch him. Silly as it sounds, I'm just not ready for him to be passed around; I don't trust people to have washed their hands in group settings.

We even skipped Thanksgiving in favor of a quiet one at home but we'll be taking the germ plunge for Christmas. Fingers crossed that we all survive without getting sick. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageoverture:

I would wear the baby in a wrap and tell anyone who asked to hold him that since its flu season you're going to keep him in the carrier for the night. 

I would wear mine in the moby since she is almost entirely covered and keep one hand on her - it kind of tells people to look but don't touch.

This is what I would do.  

I also blame his dr. "His doctor said anyone who hold him should wash their hands first."

• Options
    My son was 2 days old the first time he went out. My boyfriend had to go to work, so I had to take the two older kids to school that morning. After I dropped off them, the baby and I went to Sam's Club and maybe Walmart (I forget)... but we've been running around all over the place since then!
  • Options
    We go to mommy groups at the hospital community center, out on walks, to the outdoor farmers market and occasional brief restaurant visits, but generally avoid big stores and any places with large amounts of people traffic.  Our pediatric office and other experts recommend avoiding crowds, especially in the first 2 months.  Given the fact that it's cold and flu season and RSV is going around, I will heartily follow those recommendations.  People don't need to touch your LO to transfer disease, as aerosol transmission is also an issue and you yourself can transfer germs from shopping carts and door handles, etc.  Make sure you sanitize your hands often before touching your LO when you are out.    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"