Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

WWYD?

Go to social gathering (about 30 people) when LO is 2 weeks?

Of course Dr. said don't go anywhere for 6-8 weeks.  That's just not practical! 

But I don't want to be that "stupid first time mom".  Should I go?  I think it would be impossible to not let at least some of them hold him.

Re: WWYD?

• Options
    We go to places with lots of people, but I don't let anyone hold her or touch her yet (besides family).  We are not people who can stay cooped up in the house for 6 weeks.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options

We were invited to a Halloween party when Evaline was 3 weeks old. I really wanted to go, but the thought made me nervous. I didn't want to alienate a bunch of people by saying "don't touch my baby!" I also didn't want to expose her to possible illness. We stayed home, and I was comfortable with that decision. Now that she is older, we take her out more - esp with the holidays!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took DS out of the house from day one, but I didn't feel comfortable with people holding him until he had his two month PC and DTAP shots.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I went out with LO from the beginning, but only to well-ventilated/outdoor places (this was back in September/early October) and did not let anyone pick her up. We kept her stroller covered as well.

I would not have taken LO to a social gathering that young because it's flu season, and I just see germy people everywhere!

imageimageimage
  • Options

I would go.  If you're that worried you can try wearing your baby so no one asks to hold your LO.  

The only place I've been worried with my LO was at the pediatrician's office because we accidentally went during sick visit hour and when we took her to the pediatric emergency room for a cord concern.  I've taken her out many other places and let a lot of people hold her and she's been fine.  I did ask people to wash their hands or use purell first though. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't be comfortable taking LO at that age but you should do what you feel comfortable with.  Don't worry about what anyone says if you decide not to--you are the one that would have to deal with a sick baby, not them. 
    photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • Options

We go places with lots of people. When LO was 6 weeks old we took her to Thanksgiving with 35 people for the whole weekend, although most of them were family.

I think you should go, but don't feel obligated to let others hold LO. My suggestion is to wear LO...I have a Moby wrap and it's great for keeping LO to myself. If people ask, just say that the pediatrician said told you not to let others hold him right now since he is so little and it's cold and flu season.

If you decide to let people hold LO, ask that they wash their hands first and don't let anyone who has been sick recently hold him. 

• Options
    I started going to church when LO was still 3 weeks. I carried him in a sling and no one even asked to hold him. It was great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We went to a Halloween party when LO was just over 3 weeks.  I just made sure not to let anyone other than DH and I hold him.  We also have two other kids so I worry less about him getting sick in public.  I figure if he's going to get sick, he'll probably catch it from them and I can't prevent them from living in the house and not touching their baby brother.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I took LO to church at 5 days old...and every Sunday since. It didn't even cross my mind not to. She's been to Target and Walmart and to see Christmas lights at a local botanical garden.  I would never let everybody and their brother breathe all over her or hold her, but I feel completly comfortable taking her out.

That said, you're asking the question so it must make you uncomfortable...and that won't make for a fun time for you. Only do what makes u feel comfortable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We recently traveled 6 hours to visit family with our 2 week old. The family wanted me to bring her to church and i was nervous about it and debated it for a few days before i finally decided too. I did however make it a point that no one was able to touch or hold her. When they asked i just politely said she hasnt had her immunizations yet and i wasnt comfortable with it and they understood. You have the right to state what you want for your child, people can deal with it if they dont like it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I took my LO to a baby shower when he was 4 wks old.  We didn't find out the sex and ppl from DH's work wanted to throw us a shower after he was born.  I was hesitant at first, but decided to go.  If you aren't comfortable having ppl hold him, then don't.  The other option is to either ask them to wash their hands or bring antibacterial wipes that are safe for contact with baby.  

Of course we would all like to keep our LOs safe, but do what you feel is right.  I am a breastfeeding mom who lives pretty far from the closest city.  I had to take my DS with me places from pretty early on.  I just did everything I could to minimize exposure. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"