Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

XP: baby name opinion

what are your opinions on first cousins sharing the same first name?  for example:  a sibling named their child Michael and now another sibling from the same family is pregnant with a boy and wants to use the name Michael because it has been their favorite name since they were younger. the name has no family significance or anything like that.  what do you think?  how would you feel/react if you were the sibling that already has a child with that name?  what about if you were the sibling that was pregnant and really loves the name too?  i'm soo looking forward to hearing your opinions!!!

Re: XP: baby name opinion

• Options
    I would not use a name my sibling had used. It would be too confusing. There are plenty of names out there to choose from.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My niece's name is Sofia, and my H's niece is Sophie.  They aren't even directly related, and it's confusing.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMarSamWhitney:
    I would not use a name my sibling had used. It would be too confusing. There are plenty of names out there to choose from.

This. If I decided that I loved it that much, I'd use it as a middle. And if I was the one with the LO already and knew my sib was planning on using the same first name, I think I'd ask them why they are so intent on it.

• Options

My general opinion is that it wouldn't bother me if someone else did it, but that I would/could never do it. If someone loved the name, I'd tell them to use it because no one "owns" a name.

But, like I said, I would choose a different name.  

BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options

I don't think they should.  The way I look at it is the first come first serve.  They missed out.

I loved the name Emily and my SIL knew that so she had a little girl before me.  She wanted the name Emily but chose something else at the last minute.  IF she would have named her Emily I would have been disapointed but my loss.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I wouldn't do it.

I thought it was a lot weirder when BIL was going to name his second boy Jr.

Also, we found a great new boy name after we got pregnant with A because one of DHs distant cousins used our boy name. At first I was disappointed but then we found one we liked even better. Doesnt matter now I suppose, clearly, shes a girl. :)

• Options
    My sister really loved the name that I named DS, she said that was on her list of baby names.  However, she is not anywhere close to being pregnant and was not either at the time.  I felt somewhat bad that I named him something she loved, but what is the likelihood that if she is able to have children, and she has a boy, that she will still like that name and I wouldn't have missed out on it just in case she wanted it?  Anyway, if she now did get pg and wanted to name her son the same name, I would find it extremely odd, especially since DS's name is not super common.  I'd probably talk to her about how confusing it would be and ask her how she thinks it will effect the family.  If at that point she still wanted to use it, there is nothing I could do, but I'd just know that my whole family and probably some friends would be side-eyeing her for it.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it. There are millions of names, and there has to be more than one you like. Personally, I would be mad if someone in my immediate family also choose Henry. I know I dont "own" the name, but I want my Hen to feel special at home, and not have to go by Henry #1 or something, he will get enough of that at school. The only exception I might make is if you are naming after someone, but even then I would suggest a middle name.
    imageimage
    BFP # 1- DS ~ TTC #2 since Jan. 2012 - BFP # 2 - "Baby Elsie" - Blighted Ovum - D&C August 22, 2012 at 7w3d, BFP # 3 - CP - December 30, 2012, BFP # 4 - CP - March 19, 2013 ~ First RE Appt. 4/24/13 Med cycle #1: 50mg Clomid and Trigger shot = BFN. Med. Cycle #2: 6 cysts found. No meds/rest cycle. Trying on our own = BFP # 5! Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 129 Beta #3 = 94 - CP - July 2, 2013. BFP # 6! Beta#1 = 21, Beta#2 =58 Beta#3 = 134. U/S shows heartbeat of 142 at 7w2d!
  • Options
    I guess part of it might depend upon how much you see this side of the family. When my sister was pregnant with her last and final child she was going to name it DS's name if it was a boy. I reallly liked that name and was excited when she had a girl so that I could use it since I wouldn't have been willing to use it again. However, if I lived across the country from my sibling and saw them once a year then it might not be a big deal to either party. If you get together a fair amount it will be confusing and people will have to differenciate. My mom has the same name as my dad's sister and since she was maybe 8 and my mom was like 21 when they met they forever became Big S and Little S. So you could get stuck with an annoying nickname you can't shake.
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Options

Your kid, you pick the name.  A sibling's kid he/she picks the name.  I don't see the big deal with same names.  My husband has the same name as his cousin and we joke around about it but it has never been a problem.

I would never ask a sibling to not name their child a name I liked or used. It is none of my business to tell another person what they can name their child.  Also, so many children will grow into nicknames so a same name might never matter.  

I dunno I just don't think the same name is a big deal.  My name is Brittany so I know what it is like having a million people with the same name and it doesn't bother me.

ETA:  I wasn't implying that you were going to tell someone not to name their child a particular name. 

• Options

I personally wouldn't do it...it's too confusing.

My husband is Joe and his sister is Maria (his maternal grandparents names)...well, his mother is 1 of 4 children and ALL 4 of them named their kids Joe and a Maria. Talk about confusing...and IMO, stupid, but to each their own. Also, being there are so many Joe and Maria's, a lof of them have nicknames instead...so, why bother naming them Joe and Maria? Who knows! =/

Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

My husband, his nephew, his brother in law, and my DS shares the same name.  It didn't bother me at all.

• Options
    My cousin and I have the same name. It was/is sometimes confusing but honestly it doesn't both me in any way. Now, my name is Jessica, and 2 of my brother's have girlfriends named Jessica. My other brother used to date a Jessica, but now he dates a Jamie. Can you imagine how confusing that is at Christmas? There are 3 of us there!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I would not use a same FN that a sibling used as a FN. My sister had the first boy and used the MN Ryan. My brother had the next boy and used the FN Ryan.  Not a family name but both are TX boys named after Nolan Ryan and this was before Nolan became a popular boy option.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    thanks ladies.  the name really isn't Michael, i just used it as an example.  i was was trying to write the post to get an unbiased response because most people i talk to side with me and vise versa.  i'm the one married to the brother so it would be my SIL who plans on naming her baby the same name as my LO.  i'm really bummed about it for many reasons.  i know no one technically owns a name and i would never tell anyone what to name or not name their children but i most definitely will assertive in sharing my feelings about it. i think it's better to be honest and straightforward when it comes to feelings and this is something i feel strongly about.  it really hurts me to think that my SIL, my son's aunt, would want to name her own son the same name.  i'm a strong believer in individuality and being unique and will be raising my son to be his own person and will do so regardless of her decision but it just sucks that he has to share the first gift my husband and i ever gave him with his very own cousin. a cousin he will see often and grow up with.  my husband is a junior and he can't stand when someone says, no big "jim" not little "jim" or no, the other "jim".  i don't want my son to be "the other MIchael" in the family.  or for her son to be nicknamed #2.  who wants their child to be #2?!?  that baffles me.  also, "Michael" wasn't even the name she talked about loving since she was a child, it was similar, like "Micah", but for whatever reason her new favorite name since she was younger is now "Michael".  just so so so so bummed about the whole thing.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"