Breastfeeding
Options

breast feeding with PCOS?

I have PCOS and am only (almost 19 weeks pregnant) but I have heard that some woman with PCOS have issues with nursing and supply. Any tips here to help me once the time comes to nurse?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: breast feeding with PCOS?

• Options
    I have pcos and have been bfing my LO, 9 weeks,. I was worried before I gave birth about the same thing. I found a really good LC while I was pregnant so that if issues arose I would not be scrambling. She has been so helpful. I take goats rue. It is a supplement that regulates blood sugar and milk supply. I use a hospital grade pump initially to establish supply, careful nit to make an over supply. Most important thing....nurse within the first hour of birth and do lots of skin to skin to get your milk to come in and nurse every 2 hours until milk comes in. Good luck! Most women w pcos get milk and are able to bf.
  • Options
    I have severe PCOS, have never ovulated on my own and had to do IVF to get pregnant. I was also worried about being able to breastfeed, but my milk came in within 3 days and I have been EP'ing for almost 5 months (not BFing due to latching issues) and make 60 ounces a day. I agree with lots of skin to skin and nursing/pumping right away and at regular intervals to establish a good supply. Also, staying hydrated, remembering to eat regularly and getting rest (as much as possible with a newborn) helped to keep my supply up.
    IVF #3 brought us our miracle baby girl, born 7/6/11!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister has pcos,  She nursed to a year, but had to supplement with formula.  She often used an SNS from medela.  See a LC as soon as possible after birth, and follow up a few times.  Also, I've heard that nursing issues have to do with when you developed PCOS.  If you had it pre-puberty, then you are more likely to have issues because it can hinder the development of the milk ducts. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Options
    I have PCOS also and have been nursing for 11 months and have no problems at all with supply (thank God) Got my milk in 4 days after he was born. I didn't know you could have problems bfing with PCOS, but everyone is different. Hope everything goes great for you : )
  • Options
    I also have PCOS (not diabetic though, but anovulatory) and have had no issues with bf'ing.  It's been going great - only issues with oversupply.  I hope everything goes well for you!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"