Stay at Home Moms
Options

Advent-type calendar - need suggestions!!

Hi Ladies!!

I came up with an idea for an Advent-type / Christmas countdown calendar for DS and I need your help.   We really want to keep with the spirit of Christmas and not just focus on "how many days are left until we get presents".  So, I'm putting together a calendar in which there's a new/surprise thing for DS to do every day to help someone else.  For example:  call his great grandmother and say hi (she lives far away and we don't talk that frequently), draw a nice picture for a neighbor, pick out some canned goods at the store to donate, etc.  You get the idea.

Keep in mind DS is 3 1/2.  I don't really expect for him to understand it all, but I definitely think he can "get" helping other people.  I need some things that are relatively quick and can be done at home, but I can schedule other things that might be more involved.

I need help thinking of something for each day.  I have 15 and need 10 more.  Ideas???

Thanks!!!!! 

PS - nothing like procrastination, huh??? :-) 

Re: Advent-type calendar - need suggestions!!

• Options

-Hold the door for someone the next time you take him to a store (you'd have to plan this one)

-Pick a toy he no longer plays with and donate it to your local shelter/church's nursery school

• Options

I didn't mean to hit post....

Do you live in a neighborhood where there are any elderly people?  Maybe carry their newspaper to their front door or help rake their leaves?

That's all I got....sorry.  But what a great idea!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

What a nice idea!  I can't really think of many off the top of my head- good for you for coming up with all those already!

choose a toy to donate (one of his own, or a new one, while shopping)  and you could do the same with clothes if you have old ones to get rid of. Have him help you organize and pack to donate.

help mommy bake/ wrap/ prepare gifts to give others

visit a nursing home (I worked at one in HS and the elderly LOVED seeing children. There were halloween and Christmas open houses where kids would come in and visit and the residents would give out candy. Some looked forward to that all year.)

put money in a donation jar (my niece used to BEG to give the salvation army bell ringers some change!  LOL)

pick up garbage (maybe not loads of trash for a 3 year old, but maybe go to the park and find a piece of trash to throw away?  (or maybe that's dirty and gross, idk?)

looking forward to other recs..

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
  • Options

make Christmas cards for a children's hospital or soldiers overseas

• Options

Most of the things I can think of involve "donating."

He could pick up a few pieces of litter to help the earth.

I really like the idea of donating one of his used toys. You could pick out a bag of dog/cat food to take to a shelter, I know the shelters here are sooo desperate. Do any of your neighbors have animals? He could take a dog for a short walk? I also would check to see if you could visit a nursing home, the elderly get so lonely around the holidays. He could maybe go and read with them?

I just want to say this is a fabulous idea!!! If I think of more I will add them. Also if you have come up with 15 you can always fill up the calendar half way and add more as you think of them, he won't know :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageLynsiBHM:

What a nice idea!  I can't really think of many off the top of my head- good for you for coming up with all those already!

choose a toy to donate (one of his own, or a new one, while shopping)  and you could do the same with clothes if you have old ones to get rid of. Have him help you organize and pack to donate.

visit a nursing home (I worked at one in HS and the elderly LOVED seeing children. There were halloween and Christmas open houses where kids would come in and visit and the residents would give out candy. Some looked forward to that all year.)

put money in a donation jar (my niece used to BEG to give the salvation army bell ringers some change!  LOL)

pick up garbage (maybe not loads of trash for a 3 year old, but maybe go to the park and find a piece of trash to throw away?  (or maybe that's dirty and gross, idk?)

Oops I was typing mine before I saw your response, I guess we had similar ideas, sorry :) I wasn't sure about the litter either, but seemed like something easy he could do!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageNKR717:
    imageLynsiBHM:

Oops I was typing mine before I saw your response, I guess we had similar ideas, sorry :) I wasn't sure about the litter either, but seemed like something easy he could do!

great minds... Wink

• Options

Thanks so much!  I had a bunch of "donating" ones too, but some of the others I could definitely work with.  And, yes, I'm planning to start tomorrow even though the cute little clipboard that I plan to decorate and get all crafty with will certainly NOT be done by tomorrow :)  (damn you Pinterest for inspiring my inner craftiness!!)

Anyway, here's what I have:

Call great grandmother, $ to Salvation Army, pick up toys without throwing a fit, draw a nice picture for a neighbor, help mommy cook dinner, call grandmother, pick out and donate canned goods, donate old clothes, donate old toys, wrap and give gifts to friends (we have a party with some of our friends and their kids coming up, so DS can help me put everything together), decorate a card for Daddy, decorate a card for Mommy, help Daddy with something (not sure what :), hold a door for someone, donate a toy to shelter cats (my father volunteers at a shelter)....

That will at least get me through a few weeks and in the meantime I'll look into the soldier letter, nursing home, etc.

Thanks!  (feel free to add more!) 

• Options
    Include (insert someone or something) in your bedtime prayers?
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do not have any fresh ideas, but I LOVE this idea!
    BFP#1 7/09 DS born 3/30/10 BFP#2 5/11 M/C 6/11 BFP#3 9/11 M/C 10/11 BFP #4 5/20/12 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

donate an old coat? There are coat donation boxes everywhere around here at this time of year....maybe he could donate his from last year, or help you pick one of you or DH's old coats to drop off..

There's always adopting a family or the giving tree at churches if you go..

I'm drawing a blank, I really just wanted to say that this is an awesome idea and I'm totally going to steal it!! :)

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options

googling some more ideas ;) HTH!

• collecting old blankets and dropping them off at a pet shelter/Humane Society
    • Write a letter or draw a picture for your teacher.

• Give everyone in your family a hug.

• Deliver food to __ (a nearby non-profit).

• Tell your parent helper, "Thanks for helping today."

• Deliver cookies to a neighbor.

• Sweep leaves off the porch.

• Deliver clothing and toys to children who need them.

• bake cookies or treats and bring them to neighbors or friends.
    Write a letter to a loved one.

Gather some toys to give away.
    Find the home with the best Christmas lights and take them a thank you note with a treat.
    Visit someone elderly.
    Make an ornament for grandma.
    Deliver gifts to the neighbors.
    Take some groceries to the food bank.
    Go caroling.
    Anonymously give flowers to someone.
    Say hello and smile at everyone you meet today.
    Take in someone?s garbage cans.
    Leave change in a vending machine for the next person who comes along.
    Call an aunt and tell her you love her.
    Take Doggy treats to someone who has a dog.
    Make a gift and card for your teacher.
    Draw a picture of the Nativity and explain it to your little brother.
    Do something kind for the garbage man.
    Give five compliments to strangers.
    Put money in the Salvation army cup.
    Buy and deliver Christmas gifts for a family in need.
    Invite a widow over to dinner.
    Leave kind notes for Daddy all over the house.
    Open the door for someone.
    Clear the table after dinner.

Make holiday bookmarks and put them in library books to brighten someone?s day.

Give your sister or brother a hug.

Say a prayer for someone sick.

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • Options

If you're still short on ideas, how about some "good for the environment" stuff?  It isn't really "giving" but certainly will help people indirectly!

You could plant a tree (in a pot, if it's cold where you live), do a Christmas craft with recycled objects, or something else with recycling??

my brains still churning... i've been thinking about this all night LOL

• Options

Here's some that I have on mine:

*Write a letter to a family member

*Bring hot chocolate to one of the bell ringers

*Pick out a toy for an underprivileged child

*Clean up your street/park/neighborhood

*Make a card and send it to a soldier

*Make an ornament or decoration and give it to someone (family member, shut-in from church, another child, etc.)

*Bake cookies and pass them out to your neighbors

That's all I can think of.  Our advent calendar is all different kinds of activities--some focused on giving and some just on fun. :)

• Options

Wow!  You guys rock!  Thanks so much!!!!

I'll let you know how it goes and once I put together the "official" calendar board, I'll post a pic.

Thanks again! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"