April 2012 Moms
Options

dying to dye....

I am a natural blonde but my roots are absolutely horrible right now.I have 3 inches of darker blonde roots that make me feel like I look dirty. Anyone ask their OB about dying your hair with a safe dye? I want to feel like I look 1/2 way decent thru a little bit  of this pregnancy and not that I just crawled out from under a dumpster. (I am not complaining about the pregnancy...it has been a breeze so far and we have been very fortunate that I feel pretty damn good) Just wondering about the hair dye thing?!?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: dying to dye....

• Options
    I'm pretty sure it's a myth that dying your hair is unsafe. The fumes are what's dangerous and as long as you're not doing it in an unventilated closet, there shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    I didn't even ask. I just kept on keepin' on. I couldnt' find any convincing evidence that it was harmful.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I dyed my hair last week.  My sister used to work in a salon and did during her pregnancy.  Her daughter is fine and very smart.
    Baby #2 is on the way!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
    Charles Edward 4/13/12 
    9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just had my hair highlighted last week and I feel SO much better!!!! I agree with the pp- the fumes are the potential worrisome part, and any normal salon should be well ventilated.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I guess I'm the vain one...because I actually did ask and she said it was fine however if I was really concerned to consider highlights since they don't touch your scalp.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My OB is fine with it...I had it done at 14 weeks and am going again next weekend
  • Options
    My OB said it was fine and I worked as a receptionist at a salon all through college and highschool. Hair color is totally fine - some people don't do a "retouch" where the color is applied scalp and all - but even the people I've seen do that (including hair stylists) were FINE. In all the years I'd say I saw at least 50 pregnant women getting their hair colored. I've been getting mine colored all along and my OB is not at all concerned. :)
  • Options
    I just had my hair highlights 2 weeks ago. I know usually they don't recommend dyes that touch your scalp directly, but ask for sure.
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options

I asked my dr and he asked how often I would be dying it. I said every 3 months or so (usually its more, but I can cut down if its for babies good of course) and he said nothing to worry about. I waited until my second tri, got it dyed as a second tri gift to myself, and will probably be going in again in the new year.

• Options
    I just asked my OB this TODAY at our appointment and they said to go right ahead, they have no concerns about it so I'm going on Friday.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageDevonPow:
    My OB is fine with it...I had it done at 14 weeks and am going again next weekend
    This! And my hair chick wouldn't in my 1st tri anyway.
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • Options
    My OB had no concerns at all I chose to wait until 2nd tri but will go regularly now!
  • Options
    I have continued dying my hair. My stylist is a family friend and I trust her. She didn't want to do straightening treatments on me, but said dying was fine. 
  • Options
    I dye my hair every 5-6 weeks.  I did it all through the last pregnancy and will continue to this time.
  • Options

imageHannahO28:
    I'm pretty sure it's a myth that dying your hair is unsafe. The fumes are what's dangerous and as long as you're not doing it in an unventilated closet, there shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with this!  My OB said it was fine and I go every month for highlights.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"