Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Does Michelle Duggar's "quiet and sit still" method work?

I have a son who will be three in February. He has always had a ton of energy and very wiggly.

Has anyone tried the "quiet and sit still" method to teach your toddler to sit quietly while in public places? Any other advice or methods used to help control your child in public places where "getting down" is unacceptable behavior?

I am thinking about giving this a shot... here is the video if you don't know what I am talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvsCI3O_sj4

Any feedback is helpful

"Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name"

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Does Michelle Duggar's "quiet and sit still" method work?

• Options

I think the effectiveness is from the consistency, repeated, daily practice that she sets them up for success by ensuring she has 5 undivided minutes, 3 times a day. I am really hardpressed to say if there is anything I do religiously 3 times a day for 5 undivided minutes. 

Honestly, I think true, and really consistent ANYTHING will produce results.  FOllow through 100% with whatever you do and they'll learn- regardless of energy/age/disability/sex/birth order/whatever else might cause various behavior.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think it probably works - as pp said consistancy is probably key - but if you did it less it may just take longer for you to see results.  I also think the other big point is to make it "fun" and sound excited about it.  Most kids will try anything if they think it will be fun and mommy is having fun doing it.  Also, it give a chance to practise when your stress level is down and you can be devoted to them instead of trying to hush them at a time you really need them to sit still.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

honestly, anything she does should be taken with a grain of salt.  she is pregnant with her 20th child and her older children are raising the younger ones.  I doubt she is the one who spends time with them to do this. 

A child is going to be active and wiggly.  That does not stop until they are 3-5 years old.  My 4 year old who is wiggly can sit still for circle at preschool.  But it takes time.  

• Options
    imagetriplea1819:

honestly, anything she does should be taken with a grain of salt.  she is pregnant with her 20th child and her older children are raising the younger ones.  I doubt she is the one who spends time with them to do this. 

A child is going to be active and wiggly.  That does not stop until they are 3-5 years old.  My 4 year old who is wiggly can sit still for circle at preschool.  But it takes time.  

ditto.

kids are supposed to have energy.  i think her "quiet and still" method is a necessity because she has so many children, and also because they do so many TV appearances that they have to sit and look proper.  most places you go, people understand kids are wiggly and cannot sit for long periods of time.  my DD just finallllly started sitting still for things and she is about to turn 3.  but if she's not in the right mood, forget about it.  

i would suggest doing something really active before you need him to be still.  run him around the house to tire him out, and then maybe offer a snack or sippy during the quiet time so he will be tired/thirsty enough to take a breather.  my purse is also packed with quiet activities - markers/paper, bubbles (for outside events), toy cars, etc.

i think at age 3, it would be very very difficult to start teaching the sit-quietly method (instead of starting it as a baby).

• Options
    I think this is kid dependent.  My kids can sit for 5 minutes, if they need to.  DS has always been able to sit for long periods when necessary.  I don't make him sit a table for 5 minutes, but he is perfectly capable of sitting in a chair at the doctors office for 5-10 minutes while I am examined.  He can sit in his stroller while I talk to people for quite a while, and at a restaurant, even though he doesn't really eat in them.  We are out and about a lot, so he knows he has to wait.  DD was even better at it. 
  • Options

The Duggars also practice "blanket training" when the kids are infants. If they crawl off the blanket they are swatted (the Duggars do not say if they spank). To hit a baby is unbelievable to me. So, yeah, those kids are conditioned to listen at a young age, sadly. Even without the swatting it doesn't seem to make sense to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_training

https://duggarswatch.blogspot.com/2011/09/blanket-training.html

https://thischristianlady.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/a-look-at-the-duggars-part-3-child-training/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

my DD can sit quietly for a few minutes.  I wouldn't say she's silent, but she can certainly behave appropriately - not run around/yelling when needed.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think its worth a try, a few things she said that i liked was that they are trying to make it fun, and building a sense of accomplishment. as a mom of a  VERY active boy  i would greatly prefer this to our current method of yelling and being frustrated :)

On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered,"life will never be the same" Image and video hosting by TinyPicalt="Lilypie 1st Birthday Pic" width="29" height="20" border="0" /> BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"