Preemies

How long did it take to get your baby to breastfeed?

I have been trying to transition away from supplementing and get my son to take an entire feeding from the breast. We have been working on this for about 7 weeks now, but he still won"t take a full feeding from my breast. I was told that he just wasn't strong enough and to keep trying to get him used to my breast and that then he Is 7 or 8 pounds it should all click and get easier. My son now weighs 8 lbs 6 oz, but I still can't get him to take a full feeding from the breast. He will start off really good, but then he will stop or get fussy before he is full and I have to finish off with a bottle of expressed milk. I tried to cut out the supplements for a couple days to see if he was hist being lazy and needed to be pushed a bit, but he lost weight.

Did other moms have similar experiences? If so, how long did it take before your lo really could get it? I am getting really exhausted from nursing, then bottlefeeding and then pumping each feeding. I also feel like I am missing out on quality time with my son because all of his awake time is spent either feeding or pumping. I am considering giving up on the breast and just pumping. Any suggestions?

Re: How long did it take to get your baby to breastfeed?

• Three months, three weeks, and four days. It was the most difficult and exhausting thing I've ever done but it was definitely worth it! For about a month all we did was lay on the couch and side-feed until he got it - it was like one long continuous feeding session. If I brought in the bottle he'd take that because it's easier - often they'll even eat more if you offer a bottle just because they can (over-eat).

Here is our story: https://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/nipple-confusion-and-how-i-transitioned.html

• What is your baby's adjusted age? It wasn't until 45ish weeks that he was able to really do much. 

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I had to use a nipple shield to get my twins to successfully breastfeed.  Miles "got it" quicker than Owen, but they were both able to take full feeds on the breast (sometimes verrry slowly) by the time they came home at 38w adjusted.  I still used the nipple shield for tandem feeding and/or if they are just not staying latched on.  I hope to be completely off of it soon but they and I became dependent on it.  However, it's probably what helped the most.  My twins weighed 5lbs when they came home and are now both over 9lbs.  I agree that pumping and bottlefeeding is exhausting.  I pump twice a day when they get their bottles of neosure and vitamins. 
  • His adjusted age is just about 41 weeks, so maybe I just need to be patient for a few more weeks.  

• Even full term babies take a few weeks to get used to it and the amount of effort it takes, so I'd give him a few more weeks.

Another thought is that when you do have to supplement, what type of nipple are you using? Maybe try getting some of the super slow flow nipples so it's not as easy and therefore he won't get used to the faster bottles and give up on the breast?

~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh, and another friend did this. She would start to pump before nursing to get to the let down phase so that milk was coming out, and then put him to the breast as soon as milk started coming. That way he didn't have to do the hard work to get the milk out in the first place and it made it easier to transition. Have you tried something like that?
    ~*~ Nikki ~*~ DS born 2/18/08! TTC #2 since 01/2009 11/01 Round #5 Clomid 100 mg, IUI 11/14, at 10dpiui 11/26 Beta:12dpiui 114 11/29 Beta:15dpiui 755 1/9/10 First U/S: TRIPLETS! 6/20/11 And then there were six... http://andbabiesmakesix.wordpress.com/ Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • 5 months. Worth every frustrated tear.

She was on a feeding tube for one month, bottles for two months, a nipple shield for two months, and has been drinking from the tap for the last six weeks. The transitions were the hardest: from bottle the shield, and then from shield to breast. It took about 2 weeks each time. I just kept offering at each feeding until it finally clicked with her.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"