December 2010 Moms
Options

carrier recs?

Happy Wednesday all!!

We had a successful family trip last weekend to Arizona...yay!  It was a good tester for my longer trip to Mississippi for Christmas, and thankfully E did really really well.  One thing I do need to figure out before my next trip with her is our carrier situation.  Does anyone want to recommend their carrier?  We currently have the Bjorn Active (https://www.babybjorn.com/products/baby-carriers/baby-carrier-active/organic/) which was so incredibly uncomfortable.  I used to wear it all the time when she was tiny and it was fine, but now it puts way too much pressure on my lower back.  Also, I don't think she fits in it very well anymore.   

Any recommendations?   

Thanks everyone!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: carrier recs?

• Options
    I have an incredibly snuggly and social baby, so I have invested in A LOT of carriers! I have an ergo, a babyhawk MT, a storchenwiedge woven wrap, a moby wrap, and a sleeping baby productions ring sling (I think that is it). They are all very very different and I absolutely love them all. They are all good for different things, though... so my recommendation to you would depend on what you are looking for, when you think you would use it the most, what weight range you are hoping for, etc. I love talking carriers, though... so pm me if you want and I'd be happy to tell you more about anything you might be looking for! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Beco Butterfly!!! Its amazing. I wrote a review for it on the How To Mommy's blog recently.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I recently bought my first carrier for J, at 10 months old.  He's 25lbs, and pretty long, so I needed something with support for my back, and that would fit him longer than a few months!

My coworker recommended the Beco Gemini II carrier, and although it was expensive, it is WELL worth it.  Jacob loves it, it has a belt type thing to support him so he's almost sitting, and my coworker says her 4 YEAR OLD daughter can still use it when they go to theme parks!

I found mine on craigslist, and I would recommend it to anyone! 

• Options

Oh my goodness!!  I also have a moby, but I seriously want to set it on fire.  I CANNOT figure out how to tie it.  I've watched countless youtube videos, but I just have some sort of metal block with the moby.  I friggin hate that thing.  

I've been curious about the Ergo...is it easy to get on and off?  Like picture yourself sitting by yourself on an airplane, trying to get LO in and out of the Ergo.  Do-able? 

Oh, and E is about 20 lbs and pretty short...at last check she was in the 17th% for height.  :)  

Thanks so much!!!   

• Options
    imagechipperchicken:

Oh my goodness!!  I also have a moby, but I seriously want to set it on fire.  I CANNOT figure out how to tie it.  I've watched countless youtube videos, but I just have some sort of metal block with the moby.  I friggin hate that thing.  

I've been curious about the Ergo...is it easy to get on and off?  Like picture yourself sitting by yourself on an airplane, trying to get LO in and out of the Ergo.  Do-able? 

Oh, and E is about 20 lbs and pretty short...at last check she was in the 17th% for height.  :)  

Thanks so much!!!   

If you hate the moby, you definitely shouldn't do a woven or even a Mei Tai :) It sounds like a soft structured buckle carrier is perfect for you. Most of them can be used really early on (you need an insert for the Ergo for newborns, though) and are still comfortable well into toddlerhood.

I think all carriers take a little practice, but the Ergo is definitely easy to do with just one person. It's a very easy carrier to use and is extremely comfortable. I seriously can not recommend it highly enough. I've never used the beco (like pp mentioned), but I think it is pretty similar to the Ergo... and I have heard nothing but positive things about it, either. I am sure they are both well worth your investment!

Oh, and the Ergo can easily be used for front carries, hip carries, and back carries.

• Options

imageOhSewCrafty:
    Beco Butterfly!!! Its amazing. I wrote a review for it on the How To Mommy's blog recently.

Thanks!!  I just read your review!  Can LO be front-facing in the Butterfly?   

• Options
    imagechipperchicken:

Thanks so much!!!   

I think the Beco is much easier to work with since it has an extra sling of fabric inside the carrier to hold the baby against you while you fix all the straps and adjust. I can put C in a back carry without any help. Its great!

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

• Options
    imageMamaPajama2010:
    imagechipperchicken:

Thanks so much!!!   

If you hate the moby, you definitely shouldn't do a woven or even a Mei Tai :) It sounds like a soft structured buckle carrier is perfect for you. Most of them can be used really early on (you need an insert for the Ergo for newborns, though) and are still comfortable well into toddlerhood.

I think all carriers take a little practice, but the Ergo is definitely easy to do with just one person. It's a very easy carrier to use and is extremely comfortable. I seriously can not recommend it highly enough. I've never used the beco (like pp mentioned), but I think it is pretty similar to the Ergo... and I have heard nothing but positive things about it, either. I am sure they are both well worth your investment!

Oh, and the Ergo can easily be used for front carries, hip carries, and back carries.

Thanks Mama!!  Yeah, those mei tais look intimidating to me!  :)  I wish I could have gotten the hang of it!  I think the Ergo or one of the Becos would work.  Where did you buy your Ergo?  

• Options
    imageOhSewCrafty:
    imagechipperchicken:

Thanks so much!!!   

I think the Beco is much easier to work with since it has an extra sling of fabric inside the carrier to hold the baby against you while you fix all the straps and adjust. I can put C in a back carry without any help. Its great!

Gotcha...that sounds great!  Thanks so much!  

• Options
    imagechipperchicken:

imageOhSewCrafty:

Thanks!!  I just read your review!  Can LO be front-facing in the Butterfly?   

Not in the Butterfly, but they can in the Gemini. :-)

• Options
    Another vote from us for the Beco line.  I bought both a butterfly and a gemini.  The butterfly was great when LO was tiny because of that extra sling part that allowed him to transfer easily from me to DH or I could put him on myself without any help.  However the gemini has been priceless with allowing the forward facing carry.  My LO now clings like a little monkey so it is also very easy to put him on my back without any help too.  (It doesn't have the extra fabric sling part otherwise it would've been the perfect one).  We tried out the ERGO in the baby stores but DH didn't like it as much.  to each their own....  I think there is an online company that lets you rent one like a trial basis to find one you like though. Sorry I don't remember the name but the EFF board was where I heard about it at first.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am so in love with my Beco.  I carry my 2.5 year old in it and she loves it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagemands629:
    imagechipperchicken:

Thanks so much!!!   

It took me a bit to figure it out because it has a strap that you snap around your waist and then one that snaps on your upper back.  I couldn't figure out how to do the upper strap, until I saw my friend do it - I was making it way more complicated than it needed to be.  So, now I find it really easy to get on and get off.  And if it helps you, I've worn her when I've gone to the World Series and Rams Football game.  It's really easy to unsnap the top, keep the lower strap around my waist, and get her in and out/sit on my lap.

I've yet to wear the Ergo the other ways that you're suppose to be able to wear it.

Me too! I wish I could figure out the back carry. I tried it once, months ago and haven't since. I usually only wear DS when I'm alone, not when DH is around, so there's no one to help me.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    imagewatermellens:
    imagemands629:
    imagechipperchicken:

Thanks so much!!!   

It took me a bit to figure it out because it has a strap that you snap around your waist and then one that snaps on your upper back.  I couldn't figure out how to do the upper strap, until I saw my friend do it - I was making it way more complicated than it needed to be.  So, now I find it really easy to get on and get off.  And if it helps you, I've worn her when I've gone to the World Series and Rams Football game.  It's really easy to unsnap the top, keep the lower strap around my waist, and get her in and out/sit on my lap.

I've yet to wear the Ergo the other ways that you're suppose to be able to wear it.

Me too! I wish I could figure out the back carry. I tried it once, months ago and haven't since. I usually only wear DS when I'm alone, not when DH is around, so there's no one to help me.

Seriously, look into a Beco! Its so easy to do a back carry and holds kids up to 45lbs. Friends of mine still take their 3 year old hiking in it. lol

• Options

imageenjoylife:
    Another vote from us for the Beco line.  I bought both a butterfly and a gemini.  The butterfly was great when LO was tiny because of that extra sling part that allowed him to transfer easily from me to DH or I could put him on myself without any help.  However the gemini has been priceless with allowing the forward facing carry.  My LO now clings like a little monkey so it is also very easy to put him on my back without any help too.  (It doesn't have the extra fabric sling part otherwise it would've been the perfect one).  We tried out the ERGO in the baby stores but DH didn't like it as much.  to each their own....  I think there is an online company that lets you rent one like a trial basis to find one you like though. Sorry I don't remember the name but the EFF board was where I heard about it at first.

We used Heavenly Hold for the trial run on our Ergo and had a great experience.  We got the newer sport/performance version because we live in the south, so babywearing can get awfully sweaty.  Anything that might reduce the sweat factor was worth paying a bit extra for in our book.

We both really like the Ergo and find it comfortable and pretty easy to get on.  It's also not too challenging to adjust the fittings between DH and I, which is also a plus.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options

I also have the Becco Gemini, which I bought purposefully for the front forward carry option since B likes to look out.

I love it, but can no longer front forward carry in it as it is too much weight dangling off my front. I use a back carry exclusively now and she really likes it.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options

Another Beco Gemini fan.

Also, if you are going on a long trip (or even if you aren't) consider also investing in a ring sling.   I love using my ring sling for a hip carry when I've got to run into a store, etc.  It's small to fold up, light weight, and quick to slip her in and out of. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"