February 2012 Moms
Options

Calling all 2x+ moms.....

Im kinda freaking out about buying EVERYTHING....I mean I have the big stuff (PNP,Travel system etc) but nothing else I just don't know were to start its waaaaayyyy to many options for everything and to a FTM this is very stressful. So can you list what brand you used for these list of products? I would greatly appreciate it....Thanks

-Bottles

Did you use the wide neck bottles?

What kind of flow?

-Dippers

-Wipes

-if your BFing what kind of pump

-Storage bags(if you used them)

-Nursing Bra

That's all I can think of right now. If you have anything else to add please do....

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Calling all 2x+ moms.....

• Options

Here's my two cents:

We used Dr. Brown's bottles, but there are so many parts and we never really had issues with gas, so we didn't really NEED to use them.  We also used the Medela wide necks and they worked just fine.  We were discussing last night how we should probably just get a few more of those and if they work, great!  If not, we'll fall back on our Dr. Brown's.  FYI, I know there's some controversy over whether or not to re-use bottles.  We've decided to re-use and just buy new nipples.  Also, we used the slow flow nipples while I was breast feeding and did not switch to the next step up until we switched to formula.  I had heard stories about kids not wanting to breast feed anymore once they were able to get easier from a faster flow nipple and I was scared to switch.  I don't know if there's any truth to it, but the slow flows worked for us.

We tried a few different types of diapers and eventually decided on Pampers.  This is definitely a personal preference and I know lots of people who have switched brands at different ages/stages.

I was terrified of diaper rash in the beginning and for the first few months would only use wet paper towels instead of wipes.  When we did start using wipes, I would only use the sensitive skin wipes.  In the end it didn't matter, as my daughter never got diaper rash anyway, until she was over a year old.

I breast-fed and pumped at work until my daughter was 9 months old. I LOVED and highly recommend the Medela Freestyle.  The hands-free feature and the ability to strap it around your waist and walk around just cannot be beat!  

I switched storage bags depending on what I could buy cheapest at the time...Dr. Brown's, Lansinoh, Medela. The Medela were the smallest if I remember right, but I rarely froze more than what they could hold anyway.

I hated any nursing bras with underwire and pretty much lived in nursing tank tops for 9 months of breast feeding.  I loved the ones you get at Target and now that I'm thinking of it, I will add that to my list of things I would like to purchase in the next few months. 

The last little tid-bit of advice I have is to get the "soothies" for your nipples if you are breast feeding and bring them to the hospital with you.  I cannot for the life of me remember who makes them, but they were heaven.  The LC at the hospital gave them to me and when we got home, I ordered more right away.  

Good Luck!  Sorry this is so long!! 

Emmerson 3/23/10 Asher 2/7/12 Baby boy due 10/17/13
  • Options

-Bottles - We tried Playtex and Dr. Brown's with our first son before settling on Born Free. We used Born Free from the get go with our second and will definitely use them now with our third again. Love them.

Did you use the wide neck bottles? Regular Born Free bottles.

What kind of flow? The flow would change as they get older - starting out using Stage 1 nipples and then Stage 2 and around 6 months we started using Stage 3s.

-Diapers- Pampers.

Wipes - Sensitive Skin. Pampers are nice and soft but expensive. I've tried a bunch of different brands for wipes, I like CVS brand wipes and Target brand wipes. We did not like the supermarket brand wipes - they were so rough.

if your BFing what kind of pump - I got a Medela Pump in Style Backpack with our first and pumped exclusively. Used it again with our second when I needed to. Still going strong for #3.

Storage bags(if you used them) - Medela Freezer Bags and I kept them lined up in a shoebox in the freezer to store. (and dated them with Sharpie).

Nursing Bra - Playtex - so comfy. 

Mom to Jake 6/24/08 and Aidan 2/24/11 Baby #3 due 2/29/12 katiedidablog.blogspot.com
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagehotrocker2011:

Im kinda freaking out about buying EVERYTHING....I mean I have the big stuff (PNP,Travel system etc) but nothing else I just don't know were to start its waaaaayyyy to many options for everything and to a FTM this is very stressful. So can you list what brand you used for these list of products? I would greatly appreciate it....Thanks

-Bottles (playtex ventaire)

Did you use the wide neck bottles? (yes)

What kind of flow? (slow flow the whole time til a yr)

-Dippers (pampers newborn and huggies little snugglers etc)

-Wipes (huggies from Costco)

-if your BFing what kind of pump (Medela freestyle)

-Storage bags(if you used them) (any brand cuz they didn't attach to my pump but I would pour the milk in. So find the cheapest)

-Nursing Bra (motherhood brand but I wanna try Bravado)

That's all I can think of right now. If you have anything else to add please do....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Bottles- Dr. Brown. while they do have lots of parts to clean, they're really not that bad, I've developed my own rhythm to washing to them and I can't imagine that regular bottles take much longer. Our oldest son was not colic-y, but our youngest was, so I was very glad not to have to make that extra investment when he was born 11 months later!

- we have narrow and wide neck bottles. The narrow can attach to my medela freestyle pump, but the wide are good for making bottles on the go (I stopped BF when I went back to work)

- we stayed on level 1 nipples until the boys showed frustration while eating, and progressed to level 3 for the same reason over time. DS2 is 11 months today and we are still on level 3. 

diapers - Huggies - we just liked these best and the pampers always seemed to leave these clear gel micro beads on their skin - a personal preference issue for me. 

Wipes - as infants my children used Pampers Sensitive wipes, but I also LOVE the huggies wipes infused with cocoa and shea butter - they really help with bad diaper rashes!

Pump - Medlea Freestyle - worth the investment for sure - same as PPer- I used whatever was cheapest and never had any issues with leaking etc. 

Nursing Bra - Medela Nursing Sleep Bra, Target Under wire nursing Bras w/o padding.

Things that made our life easier:

Diaper Bag - we found a Northface Backpack at TJMaxx - it has easy to find compartments that help us stay organized, it's easy to wear and allows us to be handsfree, and we still feel cool carrying it around (esp. important b/c DH did not want to carry a messenger bag or anything remotely feminine)

Swaddlers - Swaddle Me by Summer Infant (2) and Aden and Anais Muslin Blankets (1 pack)

Sheet Saver - waterproof pad - we had at least 2 on deck at all times

Gerber Cloth Diapers - Inexpensive Burp Cloths - both of my boys had major acid reflux and spit up constantly

Bibs - Carters Teething Bibs - saved us $$ big time on clothes!!

Pacifiers - MAM and at least 2 clips by MAM

GL!! Honestly they just pee, poop, sleep (20 hrs/day) and eat for the first couple of months - so you will be fine - they don't need much :) 

• Options

Below is what worked for us with DS #1 or what we used.  I LOVED Baby Bargains - they rated a lot of things and I found it super helpful. 

-Bottles

We used Avent and followed their recs as far as what flow - newborn, etc.  The nipple packages or bottle packages would say what month range it worked for but you will learn your baby's cues if they need more/less flow, etc. and can adjust it that way. 

-Diapers

We started with Pampers Swaddlers and used them until they were in the Pampers regular diapers but DS had a weird reaction when they changed their formula and stuff so I switched him to 7th Generation and I loved them.  I will use them for this baby as well.  They are disposable, but more green-friendly than regulard diapers, but not as eco friendly as cloth so I felt a little better about our "carbon footprint" using them.  They did run a bit small in my opinion but my DS had really chubby thighs so that might be part of the issue.

-Wipes

We used the Pampers wipes in the beginning then switched to 7th Generation because they seemed more sensitive and chlorine free I think?

-if your BFing what kind of pump

I pumped exclusively since DS was a lazy nurser and we couldn't overcome the obstacle so I used a Medela Pump In Style - the tote version.  Will use it again, and I loved it.  Also had an Avent hand pump (not automatic) and that bad boy was AMAZING.  I could get just as much with it as I could with the Medela it just took a bit longer.  I will buy that one again too.  (Mine cracked when I got it out of the attic - Texas heat is not nice to plastic). 

-Storage bags(if you used them)

I used Lansinoh I think (it's been awhile) but I don't remember having any issues with any leaking and I know I used Medela bags as well. 

-Nursing Bra

Medela I think?  I cannot remember but I think that's the brand.  I've heard great things about Bravado as well so I will likely use them this time since I've heard amazing things about them.

• Options

Thanks for all the info ladies.....Now I have a good starting place.... Big Smile

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

-Bottles  used Playtex drop ins with DS but are using Born Free glass bottles with this one.

Did you use the wide neck bottles?  no, regular.

What kind of flow?   we started with stage 1 nipple and moved up when he seemed ready.

-Dippers  cloth

-Wipes  we started using Pampers sensitive but we switched to 7th generation about 6 months ago

-if your BFing what kind of pump  Medela Pump In Style Advanced.

-Storage bags(if you used them)  Lansinoh!  the Medela ones sucked, IMO.

-Nursing Bra  I didn't use one with DS but I recenly bought one from Younkers (like Macy's).  I've heard wonderful things about Bravado.

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Options

-Bottles - We ended up having to try out a bunch of different brands to find out what DD would take. In the end she took Advent bottles the best.

Did you use the wide neck bottles? not sure

What kind of flow? no idea here!

-Dippers - We used pampers for the first 2 years

-Wipes- pampers

-if your BFing what kind of pump - Medela pump and style

-Storage bags(if you used them) Medela

-Nursing Bra no idea what brand I used, but I did love glamourmom long nursing tanks

• Options

Bottles/pump/storage: I never switched from Medela bottles because I had the pump and it came with bottles that fit onto the pump.  I have the Pump in Style, I think...not sure.  I used the little 2-3 oz bottles to pump for the first few months, then started with bags.  It doesn't matter what brand bag because they don't have to fit perfectly on--just buy whatever's cheapest

Diapers/wipes: Target brand

Nursing bra: Anything without underwire 

• Options
    -Bottles - I EBF'd-Diapers - Pampers Swaddlers at first, and then Target Up & Up. LOVE the Up & Up and still use them for DD.
    -Wipes- I use Costco brand, or generic, but I always buy scent-free and sensitive.
    -if your BFing what kind of pump - I had a Medela Swing
    -Storage bags(if you used them) Medela
    -Nursing Bra - I had some expensive ones, but I preferred Wal Mart ones...which is weird, because it's the only thing I ever bought at Wal Mart. They were really cheap, but the most comfortable and supportive. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"