Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Anyone switch to formula after 3 months?

After struggling with allergies in DD I am pretty close to switching from BF to formula.  She used to take a bottle of breastmilk but won't now which I know will make it a bit difficult for us.

If you switched to formula after (or around) 3 months... how did it go?  How did you do it?  Did you syringe any formula so LO got some nutrition?  How long did they fight it before they gave in?

TIA!

Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone switch to formula after 3 months?

• Options
    We did...she went on a bottle strike at about 6 weeks and I thought she was never going to take one again...well then BF became hard and she cried so I just randomly started the bottle again and she took it. We started slowly introducing formula and after about a week of pumping I decided to go 100% formula. She is a very picky eater but she takes formula fine, I think she would prefer breast milk but I have none to offer! Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Our GI told us switching formulas was going to be easier at 2 months than later on, as LOs taste buds are more mature later than at 2 months.  We never BF, but did switch formulas 5 times, trying to find the right one, landing on Neocate due to MSPI.  Does your LO have a bottle/nipple she likes?  That will help immensely.
    3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    She was taking Dr. Browns bottles but as far as liking one a bottle/nipple in particular I don't think she does.  She hasn't taken a bottle in probably 2 months. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We are also switching to formula after 3 months of EBF.  LO is used to bottles (I pump about 1 a week) so that won't be an issue for us, but I am scared she won't like the taste. 

How did you decide which formula to switch to?  We aren't sure if we have allergies or if her issues are related to oversupply/foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

Eff Yeah! Mighty Ducks
    Oct '14 September Siggy Challenge
    Teenage Crush

DD: E, 8/20/11
    DS: N, 7/11/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh. Sounds like you and I have all the same problems! And no answers :(
  • Options
    imagejmw222:

How did you decide which formula to switch to?  We aren't sure if we have allergies or if her issues are related to oversupply/foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

I didn't BF, but I thought I'd mention this...

I EP'd for 5 months and just switched to formula this week.  I'm giving 3 formula bottles per day and 3 frozen BM for 2 weeks until we switch 100%.  My LO doesn't seem to mind any taste difference.  We tried Enfamil Gentleease first (recommendation from a friend) and he seems to like it fine with no side effects.  He's been getting 50% formula now for 8 days and nothing seems different.  We've never had any bottle issues though, even when we started that at 2 weeks.

• Options

my story sounds exactly like yours. we switched dd to bottle around 3 months-ish and she refused to take the bottle. it took a few days of both of us being crying and grumpy before i decided not to give in (and give her bm). by the end of that one day she was taking the bottle -- but i just had to dedicate myself to NOT giving her bm. the day after she was a champ.

although i do think the nipple had a lot to do with it. first i noticed the shape my own nipple after DD was finished eating, and i found an pacy that was similar in shape (Mum). once she took to that i found a bottle nipple that was similar to that (Nuk). the shape of the nipple in conjunction with dedicating myself to NOT giving her my breast = finally a bottle-eating baby!

good luck :)

Bria - Born 7/20/2011 - 2 yrs old

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My LO always preferred the bottle, so I can't help there.

Unfortunately, the formula seems to make him have too many BMs.... Like, 4 or 5 liquidy ones a day?  Seems like a lot...

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Options

I am in the process of weaning DD now (13 weeks).  I started giving her a bottle at 5 weeks (Playtex Drop Ins) b/c my supply was low and I was supplementing w/ formula.  I have given her Enfamil, Gerber and Similac (all free samples) and she seemed to do fine with all of them. I tried Costco Kirkland brand and she spit up excessively.  I have a can of Up&Up Formula that I am going to try as well.

Right now, she gets 2 bottles a day, the other 4 feedings I BF. I am going to drop a feeding a week until she is weaned.

She hasn't ever seemed to mind a bottle. I think that's partially because she gets full from a bottle and never really seemed full when I was only BF her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"