Infertility
Options

Bank sperm before chemo?

I'm not trying to hurt anyone here but the TTC after a loss board said this might be a better board to ask on.

DH is looking at needing chemo for brain cancer, the treatment is known to effect the sperm quality for a significant amount of time.  I know I have a hard time to start with since I do not normally ovulate for unknown reasons.  It took me 25 cycles the first time and 15 the second and we are currently in a wait untill you can do anything stage. 

Has anyone had to bank sperm and can tell me about what you went though/are going though?

Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
DH Brain Cancer
BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

Re: Bank sperm before chemo?

• Options
    I'm sorry for what your DH is going through.  One of my best friends did chemo treatments for testicular cancer last year and froze a sperm sample before beginning.  I would absolutely recommend it.  It's usually several hundred to a thousand dollars a year for storage.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have heard of it, but dont have any advice to give. I just wanted to say that I am sorry for what your DH and you are going through. I wish you GL with his treatment.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry that you and your husband are dealing with this.  My husband and I are dealing with male factor infertility, and I would 100% recommend freezing if you can.  If his count is high enough now, you have more options when you're ready to start TTC.

Sending lots of T&P's your way that your husband's treatment does what it needs to.

(((hugs)))

Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I'm sorry for your family's struggles including your DH's diagnosis. 

If I were in your shoes I would absolutely freeze a sperm sample before chemo. Its painless for him to provide the sample and I think the frozen sample lasts nearly forever (so its not like it expires in a year or two - you can get through the cancer treatments and decide later to use the sperm) 

We have some of DH's sperm frozen and I think the annual storage fee is about $150, maybe $300. We're still in our first year. DH had to have his surgically extracted, so I don't know what fee there might be for your DH to provide and initially freeze the sample, I'd guess about $100-150.

If you have a Reproductive Endochrinology or Fertility Clinic in your area they should be able to help you find a place to store the sperm. Ours is stored at our local fertility clinic. 

To use the sperm you would likely go through an IUI (intra uterine insemination or artificial insemination). The cost will likely be $500 - $2,000. Depending on the clinic and what drugs they give you to ovulate and how many ultrasounds they do to monitor you. 

Married June '03. DS born Jan '09. DD born Feb '12. No, we didn't choose to be childless for the first 6 years, only the first 3.
  • Options

*Sorry to stick my nose in here, I usually post on 3T but I had to reply*

MH had cancer and froze sperm before any treatments. Thank goodness he did, because he stopped producing.  The place he froze them at divided them up into 8 samples so we've got 8 chances (only 5 now since we've used 3).

And the PP is correct you will be able to use it for an IUI or IVF. Our yearly storage costs is $300 but it is at a sperm bank and not our RE. We get one sample shipped to our RE's office before a cycle and while they do have the facilities to store them there we do not want to do that in case we ever change RE practices. 

GL to you and YH! 

Me: 28 DH: 33
    MFI: zero sperm (using pre-chemo frozen samples)
    9/2011 IUI#1 + 50mg Clomid= BFN
    10/2011 IUI#2 100mg Clomid+Trigger=BFN
    11/2011 IUI#3 (Last before IVF)100mg Clomid+Trigger=BFN
    1/2012 IVF. ER 1/25 (18R 15M 15F) ET 1/29
    Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options

I would say ABSOLUTELY, my DH has been through cancer treatment twice (2 different kinds of cancer).  He banked sperm before his first bout back in 2003 and we were very lucky b/c he is still producing sperm.  However, some men don't product sperm after chemo.  I'm sorry to hear of you husbands struggle but will pray for you guys.  Tell him to keep his head up and to just stay as strong as possible, eat when he doesn't want to eat, walk when you can and just keep a positive mindset he will do great!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"