Special Needs
Options

When did you notice stimming in your child (ASD related)

Hi there! I know I should just schedule an evaluation for my DD but was hoping for any insight/advice you may have.

DD has been making a throat/vocal noise repeatily for a few months. We are so used to it we don't even notice anymore. However we are getting a lot of comments from people at playdates, music class, and even strangers.

It finally clicked for me she is stimming. My DH has Aspergers and I don't know why we didn't clue in earlier. She is also very routine orientated. I guess the funny thing is I am so used to some of my husband's behavior I don't see it as out of the ordinary anymore. Ugh, I guess I just need to get the eval done and go from there.

Any advice? At what age did you really notice the stimming? Did it increase in frequency at a certain age? Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When did you notice stimming in your child (ASD related)

• Options

My sons are 22 months old. Last month one was DX and the other wasn't. The one who didn't have a DX was being evaluated and the first thing the psychologist pointed out was his noises. I was really used to them and thought they were cute little squeaks. Nope, they were stims. I was FLOORED!

Anyway, that started about 2 months ago -  20 months. The son who was DX first was stimming at 16 months, flapping and rocking. I find that with both of them things change rapidly and move on to different things. For instance, one boy would crawl around a knot on the wood floor in circles. Eventually he stopped and then moved on to flapping. Then jumping up and down repeatedly. The other guy squeaks and does a weird arm movement. They both hum and my house sounds like a frickin' airport, lol.

• Options

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I guess I am so used to the noises I don't notice anymore. It has gotten to the point that everyday we go out and people comment.

I have her booked to be seen and evaluated.

One thing I notice is she is continuing to pursue conversations. She will stop making the noise to talk and then continue to make it while she listens to the person she is talking to. Then resume the conversation.

DH was just diagnosed not too long ago so we have been down the path before.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We don't have an official diagnosis, and only started recognizing signs recently, but in hindsight, DS was watching wheels at around 15-18 months old.  He was running in circles by 2.  He started growling at a little over 2.5.  The growling now takes various forms.  He always says he's doing it to pretend to be a train/ATV, but he also does it unconsciously, and has trouble "turning off" the train/ATV to talk to people after he has been doing it for a while. 

• Options
    My DH was also recently dxed with Asperger's which started us on this path.  DS was dx in August with ASD.  He started stimming around 18 months I think.  He would run in circles around the kitchen table.  His also has evolved overtime although he never completely stops a stim it just lessens and is replaced by another.  He spins in circles, he still run in circles, he bounces, he does some hand flapping but not a lot.  He also does the train noise although he is not verbal enough to explain it like the OPs DS.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"