Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Would this annoy you or should i let it go?

One of my aunts (my uncles 2nd wife) has had a lot of problems her whole life. She has been on a bunch of different types of pills (for physical pain and mental issues) for a long time as well. She is classified as mentally insane if that gives you a better idea. Well she is feeling much better now and is able to walk some without her cane (she broke almost every bone in her body 2 years ago in a car accident). I am very happy and proud of her. Now that she is feeling better she is trying to "take over" xmas this year. All day thanksgiving all she talked about was how she has gotten gift ideas for such and such and needs this persons list of ideas blah blah blah. She wants me, my F, and my dad to go over to her sisters house (I have only met that woman maybe twice) on xmas eve. That was problem enough cause we won't get out of church till 7 and E is not happy being out at night. But we were still going to go over there. Well today she called and told me that she wants us all to meet over at my poppy's house on xmas eve after going to her sisters house. Ummm I don't think so! Xmas eve I spend with my mom after church and spend the night there(45 minutes away) and spend xmas morning at her house as well. I'm trying to be nice but she is trying to change everyone's plans and its driving us all crazy (including my little old poppy that never gets mad at a thing!). And her being so focused on presents is also rubbing me the wrong way. Yea presents are great and all but I HATE people that only care about gifts.
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would this annoy you or should i let it go?

• Options

This isnt as big a deal as you're making it, IMO. She can't change your plans unless you agree to it. Just say "Auntie, it's so nice that you thought of us, but we already have plans on Xmas Eve."

• Options
    imageemiliemadison:

This isnt as big a deal as you're making it, IMO. She can't change your plans unless you agree to it. Just say "Auntie, it's so nice that you thought of us, but we already have plans on Xmas Eve."

Yes

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, I would be sweet but firm.  Thanks but no thanks, we already have plans.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What they said.  It's hard to just smile and nod sometimes, but you'll probably feel better in the end if you handle it that way.
  • Options
    All of what's been said. Just take a deep breath and hold firm. If she gets snippy about it, just say "I understand you were hoping to have everyone together, but this a tradition." Then walk away. Don't continue to justify or explain your choice. It is what it is and it's not changing so no need to continue debating it with her.
  • Options
    imageemiliemadison:

This.  Yes, it would annoy me, but she can't make you change your plans.  All she can do is make suggestions, which you need to say "no" to.  My parents would love for me to spend Christmas at their house, but it doesn't mean we drop everything and go.  We stay home and have Christmas at our own house.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageashley542:
    One of my aunts (my uncles 2nd wife) has had a lot of problems her whole life. She has been on a bunch of different types of pills (for physical pain and mental issues) for a long time as well. She is classified as mentally insane if that gives you a better idea. Well she is feeling much better now and is able to walk some without her cane (she broke almost every bone in her body 2 years ago in a car accident). I am very happy and proud of her. Now that she is feeling better she is trying to "take over" xmas this year. All day thanksgiving all she talked about was how she has gotten gift ideas for such and such and needs this persons list of ideas blah blah blah. She wants me, my F, and my dad to go over to her sisters house (I have only met that woman maybe twice) on xmas eve. That was problem enough cause we won't get out of church till 7 and E is not happy being out at night. But we were still going to go over there. Well today she called and told me that she wants us all to meet over at my poppy's house on xmas eve after going to her sisters house. Ummm I don't think so! Xmas eve I spend with my mom after church and spend the night there(45 minutes away) and spend xmas morning at her house as well. I'm trying to be nice but she is trying to change everyone's plans and its driving us all crazy (including my little old poppy that never gets mad at a thing!). And her being so focused on presents is also rubbing me the wrong way. Yea presents are great and all but I HATE people that only care about gifts.

Just for the record, there is no medical diagnosis of "insane" and there are more PC ways to address mental illness.

Be polite and firm in your response, tell her you reserve this time for other family. Is she going on about you buying presents for others?? Maybe shes just excited to buy for people. Before we had our own LO nothing thrilled me more than to spoil my 15 nieces and nephews, I never expected anything in return.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"