Babies: 6 - 9 Months

what would you do re:facebook

my dad posted a pic of my dd from thanksgiving. a relative with a new grandbaby commented that her grandson was cuter. i just kind of took it as a joking comment and moved along. now my brother asked me if he can say something. he is really mad at her comment. so now that he brought it up and i think about it more, i am a bit irritated. not to mention this lady was very critical to me when dd was three months old and i rocked her to sleep and held her for a nap at a family function. apparently it was appalling to her that i would do such a thing. so would you comment back. would such a comment implying your baby is not that cute make you mad. sorry for no punctuation and all that bumping from phone.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what would you do re:facebook

• I would say something like b*tchy but nice. " Well you might think that but I also think my DD is cuter than your Grandson" or "Yah right" Or depending on my mood i would probably just be totally b*tchy and say "Excuse me, Either be nice or don't  be rude and comment on my DDs pictures" I personally would stick with the b*tchy comment but im just like that hah
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would just leave it alone.  Even if you are irritated about it, it sounds like you're more irritated that she was so critical of you (which I would be too). 
    image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageScout2005:
    I would do the mature thing and not get into a sparing match over who has a cuter baby. Esp. on Facebook.

Agreed.

• imageSouthSideDrea:

imageScout2005:
    I would do the mature thing and not get into a sparing match over who has a cuter baby. Esp. on Facebook.

Yep. Of course she thinks her grandson is cuter than your baby. Shame on her for saying so and shame on you for considering stooping to her level.

Hah you're saying shame on her? Plain and simple she's rude and i would confront her. If she keeps going on about different things she will adventually need to be put in her place or she will continue with different things milestones, grades etc. That's usually how it works out. I would say something, I wouldn't get in a huge fight about it but is she ever going to stop if you don't? Probably not.

• Can the owner of the picture delete the comment?  I've done that on my wall when people have posted things that I would rather not have associated with me.  Otherwise, I'd let it go and let her look rude in front of everyone who sees the picture.  At least that's what I'd think if I saw the picture :)
  • imagedaisy889:
    I would say something like b*tchy but nice. " Well you might think that but I also think my DD is cuter than your Grandson" or "Yah right" Or depending on my mood i would probably just be totally b*tchy and say "Excuse me, Either be nice or don't  be rude and comment on my DDs pictures" I personally would stick with the b*tchy comment but im just like that hah

You probably should just leave it alone, but I would totally be a ***, but I'm very forward about my thoughts. I think it was rude of her to comment, and you should either leave it alone, or if you need to say something, say like "Really? Why would you put a comment like that on my daughters photo? So rude." Or what PP said. 

• imageSouthSideDrea:

Honestly, yeah, shame on all of you for thinking it is OK to get into a fight with someone elses  grandma on facebook over a stupid comment on someone else's page that her grandkid is cuter than his. I hope if my grandma was clueless enough to post someting like that on facebook a bnunch of 20-something girls would let it go and not rip her a new one. Who cares.

Agreed.  OP, your first impulse was the right one.  She's a batty old lady.  Laugh it off. 

• Back away from the computer.  Drea is right.  She's a batty old lady.  And damn straight that my mother better think that her grandkids are the cutest.  It's the law of the land.  Would I be miffed?  You bet.  But her nasty comments will not actually change any thing.  Your LO is still the cutest according to your dad, you (hopefully) didn't let someone else's opinions change how you put your LO down for the night or naps, or any of your parenting, so let it go. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • I would ignore it but if my brother wanted to say something thats up to him. I wouldn't stop him...maybe I'm immature? ahh well :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Personally, I would leave it alone and encourage your brother to do the same.  It's just a silly thing to get in such a public fight over (even though I understand you being upset about her judgement on other issues).  
  • imageandreaholt11:
    I would ignore it but if my brother wanted to say something thats up to him. I wouldn't stop him...maybe I'm immature? ahh well :)

I agree with this.  But I also think that as a mother you have the right to voice that her unwanted comments from before and now are not appreciated.  I don't really see it as being combative, I see it as saying you've had enough of her constant snide remarks.  I think you're being a bigger person by saying that you would hope your dad would never make a comment about that on her grandchilds photo, and you'd appreciate if she did the same.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, i'd be conflicted. The mature adult in me (angel over one shoulder) would roll my eyes and let it go. The b!tch in me (devil over the other shoulder) would make some rude comeback comment to make her realize how a) ridiculous it is to say such a thing on facebook and b) that my kid is cuter than her kid!   LOL

But ya, probly best to leave it alone.

• Old lady or not, Facebook or not - she is a adult, she is rude and clearly has crossed a line. Ofcourse she is going to think that but should she say it, No.

I see it this way if you see a baby in the mall that you dont think is at cute as your child would you walk up to them and tell them? No.. (to the above pp) If someone came up to you and said this would you tell them off, Yes.. stranger or not she should hear it.  If i came on here and said hey so and so my kids cuter than yours.. i would get flamed.. big time.  Clearly she has been a issue before and will continue to be one until someone steps up to the plate and tells her how it is.

• Who said this woman is some little old lady? Sure, she may be a clueless 80 year old, but she may also be a 50 year old b!tch who needs to get a little tact.

I wouldn't want to start any sort of FB war or broadcast any kind of family turmoil for the world to see, but I would make a comment similar to: "Of course you think your grandbaby is the cutest baby in the world, but to compare him to my child, especially on a public forum, is rude."

• OMG. A facebook battle between adults over which grandchild is cuter? Tell your relatives to grow up and get over it. Yes, the comment was very rude, but any kind of retaliation would be absolutely ridiculous.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I'd let this one go.  If she does it again I'd comment below her comment and say something along the lines that you understand how she thinks her grandson was cuter, but she's made this comment before and you think it is rude and impolite.  I bet that would stop her.
  • Thanks for the input. I think the fact that my brother wanted to confront her after I ignored it kind of made me feel like I wasnt sticking up for my kid or something, that my brother would feel the need to do it since I didnt. Anyway we both agreed to ignore it/ her (for now). Although like a pp said my brother wants to have my dad delete it! I will probably keep thinking of snarky comments I should have said though. And be grateful dd has a protective uncle :)
  • I wouldn't say anything. Be the bigger person. It really is not worth it. I wouldn't let her comments get to me. Who cares what she thinks. Confrontation especially on a social network = tacky.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • imageSouthSideDrea:
    imagedaisy889:

Old lady or not, Facebook or not - she is a adult, she is rude and clearly has crossed a line. Ofcourse she is going to think that but should she say it, No.

I see it this way if you see a baby in the mall that you dont think is at cute as your child would you walk up to them and tell them? No.. (to the above pp) If someone came up to you and said this would you tell them off, Yes.. stranger or not she should hear it.  If i came on here and said hey so and so my kids cuter than yours.. i would get flamed.. big time.  Clearly she has been a issue before and will continue to be one until someone steps up to the plate and tells her how it is.

I'll tell you what, I'm a total stranger, and you are coming across to me as petty, immature and rude.  If you want to come across that way to your family and friends, by all means, put Grandma in her place.

Maybe im immature..but atleast i have a backbone to people that make rude comments to me, like OP said this is not the first time it sounds like she is a total b*tch. I am in no way rude by far, if someone is rude to me i will let them know, if that means im rude then maybe i have the definition of rude wrong. Doubtful - but maybe. Grandma or not..just because she old does not mean she gets special b*tch treatment, not in my books, she should have more respect to her family and friends.

• I know you've made yor decision on this, but if you or your brother must respond, I prefer, "Come on, Great Aunt Madge, it's not a competition!" I think it's always best to keep your cool and not respond to rudeness in kind, especially with family.
  • Ya she is just displaying her poor sense of humor on fb and doesn't know that tone doesn't come across on the Internet. She probably doesn't have a ton of fb experience. You could always say "lol, you must be losing your eye sight granny!". Jk you shouldn't post that. Don't dignify it with s response. I'm sure she has no clue and isn't up to having an fb war with an Internet savvy young whipper snapper with good eyes and an adorable baby.
  • imagedaisy889:

Old lady or not, Facebook or not - she is a adult, she is rude and clearly has crossed a line. Ofcourse she is going to think that but should she say it, No.

My kid is cuter than your kid. ;)

I wouldn't comment on the photo but I might send her a private message and say that you felt the comment was rude and it upset you. Say something like it wouldn't be appropriate to say that in person at a family function or gathering and it isn't appropriate on FB. She can't argue with your feelings. They are your feelings and they are valid. I would also ask your dad if he could remove the comment. She's probably not an eccentric old lady. She's probably a rude 50 year old woman like a PP said. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • I would see if your dad can delete the comment and any future rude comments from her. If she questions why, just say that they were rude, so they were removed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"