August 2011 Moms

Swaddling and sleep help

Last Wednesday we moved LO from her RnP into her crib and she did wonderfully, slept her normal (8:30 PM - 5 AM).  She has been sleeping thru the night since 5 1/2 weeks and we are swaddling her with the muslin blankets. 

So, Sunday night I realize that she is waking her self up around 3 because she is moving around so much trying to get her hands free, I watched her for a half hour move around until she finally broke free.  Well, once she breaks free she starts rubbing her hands on her face until she wakes herself up.  So, I thought she was ready to be done with swaddling and we would let her have her hands free.  The first night we swaddled her from her armpits down and she slept like crap woke up every 3-4 hours.  Then last night we tried a sleep sack and she slept even worse.  Everytime she goes down fine and then wakes herself by rubbing her hands over her face.  What can I do?!?!?  Do you think we should go back to swaddling her with her arms in?  Last night was awful and I am so stressed about other things that I just went into the bathroom and cried :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Swaddling and sleep help

• I don't have any advice but I feel your pain.  I think DD is starting to go through the 4-month wakeful period and was up 2:30-6 AM.  She fought her swaddle until I fed her, then she seemed to be ok - just wide awake.  

GL mama - maybe try swaddling her with her arms in again? 

Married 7.5.08
    BFP 12/10/10 - DD1 8/16/11
    BFP 10/29/13 - c/p 11/2/13
    BFP 11/29/13 - DD2 7/18/14
    BFP 3/20/18 - DS1 due 12/2/18
  • I also tried not swaddling because Isaac kept breaking out of the A&A blankets and the miracle swaddle blanket. That was a fail. So, I bought some swaddle me swaddles (velcro swaddle) and he sleeps like he did before. He does fight it every now and again, but it's the only way he'll sleep. Otherwise, like your little one, his hands rub his face til he wakes up.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel you! Mine pulls her hair in her sleep and wakes up screaming in pain. It is awful. We tried not swaddling once and it was awful, so I am swaddling until she can roll over because my pedi said to stop then...I'm dreading that period!
  • We are still swaddling here too.  I am going to talk to the pedi on Friday, but I don't think we will be stopping and DD loves it.  Sometimes she STTN 10-11 hrs straight and other nights she wakes after 6-7 hrs.  Twice when she woke I tried not swaddling her for the last few hrs of sleep and she couldn't fall or stay asleep.  As soon as I swaddled her she slept soundly.  I honestly don't know how she will sleep without it.  I bought the magic suit and will transition to the probably in the next month or so.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Try swaddling just her arms in and leave her feet out. It's much harder for them to break out of it since their feet can't pull the blankets down. This is how DS sleeps now, and it works like a charm. I'm also dreading the transition out of the swaddle. I might just try giant blankets to swaddle him until he's a teenager. Oy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"