Multiples

Twins born at 36 weeks 3 days

Hi everyone,

We just found out that our twins will be coming early.  They will be born at 36 weeks, 3 days.  Looking to see if anyone else had their twins around this timeframe and wondering if they had to spend time in the NICU.  I would love to hear your story!!! :)

Thanks all.

TTC since 10/2007 4/2008 put on Clomid to assist with ovulation 3/2009 DH diagnosed with MFI (low count and motility) 4/2009 IUI # 1

Re: Twins born at 36 weeks 3 days

• Ours were born at 36 weeks.  They were 5lbs 11oz and 5lbs 6 oz.  Both were healthy.  No NICU time was needed and we took them home with us when I was released 5 days post c-section.  Good luck!
    U/S#1 showed 2 heartbeats! U/S#2 showed Baby A's heartbeat was 157 and Baby B 's heartbeat was 183! U/S#4 showed Baby A is a Boy (heartbeat 161) and Baby B is a Girl (heartbeat 159)!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Mine were born at 36w5d.  They weighed 5 lbs 11 oz and 5 lbs 7 oz.  They spent no time in the NICU and came home with me 2 days after they were born.  Evelyn had no prematurity related issues.  Charlotte had some minor ones (mostly GI related).  They are happy and healthy four year olds, now.  

Good luck with everything! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • i had my boys at 35 weeks 4 days and the neonatal dr came in before my c/s and told me that she was sure my boys would be in the nicu for at least a week. well as soon as the dr took the boys out and the same neonatal dr looked them both over she came over to me and told me i was very lucky. the boys were both 100% fine and would be staying with me. lol. my boys were 5lbs 9 oz 18.75in and b was 5lbs 11oz and 19in.

you really cant go by what happens to alyone else though i kate to say. everyone is different. i hope my experience gives you some hope or at least a little peace of mind. not all early twins go to the nicu. thoughts and prayers your way for an easy birth and very, very healthy babies.

• Me! Exactly that age! If you gave no choice, nothing you can do. In hindsight, I would have asked for another week, in my case. 

Girls were initially ok. On Day 3 they started having trouble holding their temps and lost a good amount of weight. Ended up in NICU on Day 4. I was discharged Day 5, they came home with me Day 7. I had to monitor their temps while home, and keep their crib heated at home. A bit stressful! But my doctor wanted to make sure that we wouldn't have to bring them back, because they'd be put in the pedi ward.

Because they were small, they also had trouble nursing. If you plan to BF, read up on nursing preemies. I wish I had, it would have helped tremendously.  

Here comes Baby #3! BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My triplets were born at 35 weeks, 6 days.  They weighed 5.3, 4.13 and 4.13.  No steroid shots.  Allie and Em spent 2 days in the special care nursery and then came home with me.  Anna was in the NICU only b/c she had to have surgery to correct her spine and then shunt placement - she had no preemie issues and would have come home with us had it not been for her spina bifida.

Good luck!

• We had our girls at 36 weeks, 2 days (after a failed 48 hour induction due to pre-e)...No NICU time for either of my girls, altho M swallowed a little fluid and I think was monitored for about an hour but then was in wiht us for the rest of the hospital stay and both came right home (with a little bit of jaundice going on that fixed itself)  they were 6.13 & 7.1...GL!
  • Mine were born at 36w2d.  They were 7lbs 2oz and 5lbs 12 oz.  They had no NICU time, although they did develop jaundice at the end of our hospital stay.  They came home on phototherapy for a few days but then were fine.  GL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Our guys were born 36w1d. DD was 5lbs2oz and DS was 6lbs7oz. We had not NICU time and everyone came home together. Good luck!

• My boys were born at 36w3d and went to the NICU at 13 hours of age for temp instability.  They were discharged exactly one week after being admitted to the NICU.  They just had to spend a few days in the isolette to get their temps straight and then prove themselves in the open cribs.  They were 5lb4oz and 5lb2oz when born and came home weighing 5lb and 4lb11oz.  Now they weight just under 20lb each and have never had a problem.

• My boys were born at 36 weeks and 2 days.  Their weights are in my sig below. 

James (the smaller of the two) spent one week in the NICU.  He had a "rough start" and was immediately sent to the NICU but was mostly just monitored for the week.  He was jaundice but was breathing on his own.

Connor was able to stay in my room and came home with me on day 5 after my c-section.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My boys were born at 36w0d.  They were 6lb7oz and 5lb4oz.  Neither went to the NICU and we had no problems.

Good luck!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Congratulations to my girl AmberZ! So happy for you!
  • My twins were born at 36w5d. They were 5lb 3oz and 6lb 5oz. The bigger twin had to go to the NICU for cpap. He was on cpap for about 7 hours. They let me see and hold him 6 hours after he was taken off cpap. After he was taken off, he had to be monitored for a while before he could be discharged from the NICU. He ended up being there for 30 hours. My smaller twin went to the regular nursery but had to be supplemented a little for low glucose levels. They both developed borderline jaundice so we had to keep following up with the pedi but they didn't need to go under the lights. They both had some issues with BFing even though I saw an LC every day of the 5 days I was there (A had trouble latching but would suck once he was latched until he was given a bottle, then he didn't want to BF. R could latch but then didn't want to suck). In the end, they both came home with me 5 days after they were born and they are doing okay with BFing now (I had to have another LC come to my house and one still requires a nipple shield pretty much all the time. The other just needs it occasionally). Good luck!
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
  • My boys were born at 36w6d. They were 5lb 4oz and 4lb 4oz. My baby A was the bigger one and got to room with us, while baby B was sent to the NICU as a grower feeder since he was under 5 lbs. We were all released from the hospital as a family after 4 days post c-section.
  • Mine were born at 37w exactly (just a couple days later). They were 6.2 and 5.4. They had brief stays in the special care nursery for feeding issues. DD was discharged w/ me and DS was discharged the next day. GL!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • My LOs were born at 36w0d. I had had a pair of steroid shots for their lungs at 24 weeks. DS weighed 4 lbs 9 oz, DD weighed 4 lbs 2 oz. Because of their GA and weight, they were taken to the special care nursery for 6 hours after they were born. They didn't have any respiratory issues or jaundice, but DS had low glucose levels for a little bit. They both had a few body temp issues, but once dressed and swaddled, they did pretty well. At the end of the 6 hours, they were released from special care, but were required to stay in the regular nursery that night just for a bit more observation. After that they were rooming in with me as much as we wanted. DD was required to pass a carseat test before being discharged due to weight. We were all released after 4 days.
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • Mine were born at 36w3d. Baby A was 4lbs. 14oz. and Baby B was 4lb.s 15oz. They had no NICU time. Even though they were tiny they were very healthy. Both came out screaming. But they were also both girls and girls tend to do better than boys born early.

• I had my twins at 36w1d.  They were both 5lbs.

Mine needed NICU time. 
    Annabel-cpap for 2 days then room air.  She was just a feeder grower.  12 days total in the NICU
    Michael(Mack)-cpap for a few hours, vent for 2 days (PDA discovered as the cause-treated), nasal canula (he went home on ox and got off when he was 7 weeks old), feeder grower.  19 days total in the NICU.

My experience isn't common, don't let it scare you.  Most 36 weekers go home when mom is discharged.  Congrats and GL!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Mine were born via CS at 36w4d due to me having a severe case of cholestasis. A was 5lb10oz and B was 5lb11oz. Neither needed any NICU time and came home with me. They each have some reflux issues due to their systems not being fully mature, but this has not stopped them from gaining weight, they now weigh almost 12lbs! GL and keep us posted when they are born! :)
  • Mine were born at 36 weeks exactly.  They were each 5lbs. 3oz.  Patrick went to the NICU for 48 hours as a precaution for some fluid on his lungs, and Ethan went to the regular nursery.  Patrick joined us while still in the hospital, and we all went home together.  You should be fine! Good luck!!
  • Mine were born at time...36 weeks and 3 days at 5 lbs and 4 lbs 7 oz.  Baby B was taken directly to the NICU because of his weight and stayed for about 10 days.  Baby A was with us at first but was having trouble eating and keeping his temp up and he spent about 7 days in the NICU.  They were in the step-down NICU and never had breathing problems or IV or anything. Both were very jaundice but so was my singleton.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • 36w 5d

They were big boys - 8lb7oz and 7lb1oz

No NICU, but had some low blood sugar and a little jaundice.

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My boys were born at 35 weeks and a day after I was in labor two days and finally had a c/s. They weighted 3 pounds 11 ounces and 3 pounds 15 ounces. They spent 11 days in the special care nursery to gain some weight.

I would advise you to spend as much time in the NICU or SCN as you would like to. Also, it really helped my husband and I after I was discharged to talk with close friends about our feelings. I had a hard time for the 6 days we traveled to the hospital to see them because I did not want to leave them.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"