What would you like to see in person? — The Bump
Cloth Diapering

What would you like to see in person?

I am toying with the idea of starting a bricks and mortar cloth diapering store. I'm now trying to determine what I want to carry in the store and what I don't want to bother with.

My question for you is, what would you have liked to have seen in person when you were initially getting started. Brands, products etc. I think all of us have wished we could see the products in person before buying, but what would top your list?

Is there anything you think I should skip? What are your thoughts on carrying wool products, from local crafters? Do you think its too specialized?

I also plan on offering a monthly class. Do you think it would be less overwhelming to newbies if I provided a phone number to text or email address for questions, with a guarantee that someone will help them troubleshoot within 48 hours of receiving the question? Will it alleviate the fear of being all alone trying to figure out CDs?

Sorry for the barrage of questions! I really appreciate your opinions and input. 

Thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What would you like to see in person?

• I would like to have seen at least one brand of each type to see how they worked. Brand wouldn't necessarily matter, but showing an AI2 for example, or flats, would have been great.

I would love to have seen wool from the get-go. I think having local crafters would be great.

The text/phone thing sounds like a PITA, to be frank.

• I would have liked to see a diaper from each type, like PP said. Wool would be neat from local crafters, but only if you could ensure quality. One thing that I have noticed about some CD stores is that they have a few major diapers, like Fuzzibunz or Bumgenious (I definitely wish I had seen the craptastic quality of the BG before I bought them). But they don't carry the other types. I was always frustrated that I had to buy diapers from so many different stores because one didn't carry the things I wanted/needed. Things that usually determine what I buy are reviews, need, and price. I suggest looking around at reviews on things and only carrying items that have rave reviews. (Because most people won't buy an item with bad reviews, so why carry it?) And then as you get larger, fill in the gaps where they are needed. 

I think the email help would be nice, but the texting would probably get old for you and be a pain for them.  

[IMG]http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/marymccune3/IndiePissed.jpg[/IMG]
  • Loading the player...
  • As someone who's been researching & considering CDing for about a month now, here's my 2 cents.

I agree with PP that seeing at least one diaper of each type (prefold, AIO, AI2, pocket, fitted) would be really helpful. 

For me, the first question was "what is it really going to be like?"  So having a mini nursery with cloth wipes, a couple types of CD, a babydoll to practice on, maybe even a wetbag would be awesome.  Also I think for dad's especially it would be really cool to have some sort of "testing area" where you'd have say dry prefolds and then some water and something else that is the consistency of poo that could be dumped on the diaper & then spayed off with a diaper sprayer.  All dads I've talked to are scared of getting poo on their hands, and some want to know exactly how much more work the laundry etc. will be.  This sort of set up could alleviate the fear & answer questions about how it'd actually be.

I don't know how cost effective it would be, but I definitely think you should consider wool from local crafters.  That's the one thing I still haven't wrapped my head around yet.  That's something I think I'd have to see work in person before I'd be willing to invest.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• image CLLDLL:

As someone who's been researching & considering CDing for about a month now, here's my 2 cents.

I agree with PP that seeing at least one diaper of each type (prefold, AIO, AI2, pocket, fitted) would be really helpful. 

For me, the first question was "what is it really going to be like?"  So having a mini nursery with cloth wipes, a couple types of CD, a babydoll to practice on, maybe even a wetbag would be awesome.  Also I think for dad's especially it would be really cool to have some sort of "testing area" where you'd have say dry prefolds and then some water and something else that is the consistency of poo that could be dumped on the diaper & then spayed off with a diaper sprayer.  All dads I've talked to are scared of getting poo on their hands, and some want to know exactly how much more work the laundry etc. will be.  This sort of set up could alleviate the fear & answer questions about how it'd actually be.

I don't know how cost effective it would be, but I definitely think you should consider wool from local crafters.  That's the one thing I still haven't wrapped my head around yet.  That's something I think I'd have to see work in person before I'd be willing to invest.

My local Cotton Babies has this, and it is nice.   They also have Cloth 101 classes every other week that goes through each kind/type of diaper style and the pros/cons.  It's nice to actual touch each kind of diaper and see its function.  I think carrying wool is a great idea.  Most of the CDs stores in my area that have lasted also carried other non-CD baby items (like bamboo clothing, wooden toys, nursing pumps and clothing, etc...).

Overall, a variety of styles is what I would shoot for, brands are less important.

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • The diaper store I use is www.diaperjunction.com  Their store is local and their site is great.  The things I really like are:

1)They give a general description of each kind of diaper type and they have reviews on their site.

2)They have a deal of the day.

3)They really play up the Facebook aspect.  All three or four ladies are on and off FB all day commenting and answering questions.  If that's too much work, I know they have also posted it for other customers to help answer.  That way the question gets several responses and they spent very little time doing it and the customer is still happy.

4)They do something called "stash cash" by using a point system when you make purchases.  It earns you store credit.

*They also showed up for various hospital expos with a booth and had a doll to let people practice using prefolds/covers.

I agree it's also good to see the different types of  diapers in store too.

Hope this helps! :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • All great feedback, thank you so much!

I love the idea of a doll and nursery, I wouldn't have thought of that. The poop is cute too, but I think I would save it for a class. I'd hate to just have poo sitting around the store all day. Now, what is a similar consistency of poo? Maybe homemade playdough with too much water? IDK!! haha, what a thing to attempt in my kitchen, a poo like substance. 

Thanks again for your help. And Dr. Loretta, I agree, text would be a PITA. Answering via Facebook as another poster said would be an easy way around it for all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards