Babies: 0 - 3 Months

tummy time?

how often and how long do you do "tummy time" with LO? our twins will be 1 month tomorrow, we just started doing it last night with them since their navels are now healed. have an appt with their pedi tomorrow, will ask him but wanted to hear from other moms what you do for it? do you position their arms for them or just let them do their thing? TIA :)
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: tummy time?

• at least 30 min a day.. doesnt have to be all at once. if they don't like it, it is easier to do it in smaller spurts.

I usually put her arms to her side (hands by her head) like the army crawl so that she can learn to lift herself up on her arms

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• my nurse prectioner had lo on his tummy since he was a week old. only because he knew to turn his head to the side and he was picking his head up. What i usally do is put his arms up and let him wiggle do his mini push ups fake crawl untill he starts showing signs he is getting fustrated (starts grunting and kicking his feet) . Dr had me put my hands behind his feet and let him push off of my hand to start learning to crawl.  It works well nurse try to take rectal temp and looked like a catipillar wiggling away lol! good luck the boppy pillow works good to for tummy time
  • Loading the player...
  • my LO HATES tummy time but I can get her to do it a few mins at a time if I use the boppy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't get 30 min out of lil man he gets fustrated to easily we are a few minutes too then back on his back so he can roll to his side and almost onto his belly
  • We do tummie time on my chest mostly Lil Man does not like to do it on his play mat yet. We also do it on my bed. I set him on the mini boppy, put his arms up on the side of his head, face him to the edge, & I sit on the floor facing him and talking to him. I only do tummy time until he shows signs of frustration or boaardum.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our pedi recommended as much as possible, beginning the first week our LO came home.  We started at just a few minutes at a time, lay the baby down on his stomach and just let him take it from there.  Be sure to turn his head to the side of course so he can breathe.  Gradually build up the time...our LO is 5 weeks and I think he does about 20-30 min at a time, but I switch him back and forth from his back to his stomach to give him a rest in between.  I like to tuck his legs up underneath him to give him a little support, and put his palms down on that mat with his elbows underneath him too.  He likes it, but some babies will fuss and fight it.  Our pedi actually said to let him fuss just for a little bit because sometimes when they do that, they lift themselves up even more and build their strength. We also play different music while he's doing it, to have some background stimulation. Have fun with it!

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)
  • Also here's an article on avoiding flathead syndrome, one of the reasons for Tummy Time.  I"ll repost in a separate topic too:

https://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/28/new-advice-to-prevent-and-correct-flat-head-syndrome-in-babies/?hpt=he_c2

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"