Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Carseat from the car rental company?

We are flying to Lake Tahoe for Christmas and I was talking to DH about all the stuff we have to bring (car seat, pack n play, stroller, plus everything "normal"). He said that the car rental company has car seats. At first I said no way, you never know if the car has been in an accident or how people treat the car seats. DH thinks Im nuts though. What do you all think? Leave our car seat at home and use the one we will be provided or vice versa?  
Need a good read? There's a new blogger in town... www.thepinningmama.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Carseat from the car rental company?

• Nooooooooooooooooooo, never ever ever ever EVER use a rental company carseat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 1) You're absolutely right- you have no idea what that car seat has been through (accidents, being improperly cleaned, dropped, pooped/peed/vomited on, etc). Gross and dangerous. 

2) They can't guarantee that they'll have the CORRECT seat for you when you show up. They might give you an infant seat when you need a convertible, a booster when you need a convertible, a convertible when you need a FF only, etc. 

3) You know how to use your own car seat and can practice with it. That will make it safer because you wont be struggling with trying to figure out how to use a seat you've never used before.

• Loading the player...
  • imageMandJS:

imagesillypit:
    Nooooooooooooooooooo, never ever ever ever EVER use a rental company carseat.

This. But I WOULD check the hotel/resort you're staying at to see if they have cribs or a PnP. Or depending on the age of your LO, a rollaway cot (especially if it can be used in the lowered/floor position). You may also want to consider just buying a cheapy umbrella stroller (or going without completely if you have a good baby carrier) when you get to your destination. 

Great suggestions! I didnt even think about our baby carrier. I will definitely use that instead of the stroller!
    Need a good read? There's a new blogger in town... www.thepinningmama.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemiliemadison:

1) You're absolutely right- you have no idea what that car seat has been through (accidents, being improperly cleaned, dropped, pooped/peed/vomited on, etc). Gross and dangerous. 

2) They can't guarantee that they'll have the CORRECT seat for you when you show up. They might give you an infant seat when you need a convertible, a booster when you need a convertible, a convertible when you need a FF only, etc. 

3) You know how to use your own car seat and can practice with it. That will make it safer because you wont be struggling with trying to figure out how to use a seat you've never used before.

And these are the points Ill be using when I tell DH once again that NO we will not be borrowing from someone we dont know....thats basically what we would be doing! He's thought I was much crazier for other things, so I guess this one is just a drop in the bucket. :) Thanks!
  • Re stroller, you can go to the Walmart or Target and get a cheap one there.  That way, you don't have to take it on the flight.  Honestly, we took our stroller on our vacation, and I wished I had just spent $30 buying one from Walmart, Babies R Us, or Target.  

Re crib/PnP, most hotels have them. I would definitely call the hotel and reserve one.

I would also take the carrier.  There will be places where you can't take the stroller, especially in the snow.     

• Never in a million years so I agree with you.  I leave other things at home and rent them but always have my own car seat.  When we travel, I always rent baby equipment.  I googled Lake Tahoe baby rentals and I found this site.  There are probably others, but here's an idea...

https://www.tahoebaby.com/index.php

• imagewife1014:

Never in a million years so I agree with you.  I leave other things at home and rent them but always have my own car seat.  When we travel, I always rent baby equipment.  I googled Lake Tahoe baby rentals and I found this site.  There are probably others, but here's an idea...

https://www.tahoebaby.com/index.php

I didn't know companies like this existed. Awesome! Thanks girls!
  • imageBeanie_mrt:

Absolutely not on the rental car seat. Google it, it's appealing at best. Regarding the PnP, I bought a slipcover for use in hotels because I don't want my LO sleeping on a nasty rental.  I think it's cover yard.com and its awesome. 

Eapealing should say appalling. Stupid phone.  

Awesome! I never knew this exsisted. I always bring a travel can of lysol and our sheets from home. I'm buying this.
  • imageMom2Oli:
    I obviously am the worst mother on earth and hate my child. but, I've rented a car seat twice had wonderful experience tooth times and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Worst mother over here too. When we rented a carseat, it was brand new. I'd do it again, especially since we weren't using it on the plane.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"