Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Is my ped crazy?

Two weeks ago, LO caught a cold from his cousin. The past couple of days, I have noticed that he's been tugging on his ears and waking up in the middle of the night crying (not something he normally does).

I took him to the ped today assuming that he had an ear infection, which he did. The surprise came when Ped said something about "seasonal allergies" and said he will be putting him on Cetirizine until the Spring, then we will see what happens.

Um, I'm sorry....what?! I don't know anything about allergies, but I assumed that some sort of legitimate testing would be done before diagnosing a child with allergies and certainly before doping him up for the forseeable future.

It is quite possible that LO does have allergies-my husband has seasonal allergies in the spring and quite a few food allergies as well. But LO has never had a problem before he caught this cold. (Additionally, DH and I also have this cold and are both still sick).

So my question is...is this normal? Is my ped a total wack job? My mommy gut tells me this is absolutely insane-I have not filled the Rx and have no plans to give my son the medicine. If anyone has experience will seasonal allergies in an 11mo old, please let me know what you think!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: Is my ped crazy?

• Options

I dont think you are crazy. I would def not fill the script without getting a second opinion.  Dont they do some sort of testing for allergies? I have no idea, I dont have them, or know anyone that does.

I wouldnt give my LO any unnessecary meds without another opinion.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm probably wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that they don't diagnose seasonal allergies till around 2?  That feels wrong to me too.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd be a little skeptical about this too. I'd get another opinion, or at least have him explain his rational a little better. I also wouldn't be starting any other meds with the ear infection antibiotics, especially if I didn't have a clear answer yet..... & since he only seems to have food allergies, it seems a little strange. Can you call the pedi & get a better idea wtf he's talking about? 
    DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • Options

According to our ped, allergies don't develop until at least age 1 with the exception of pet allergies. That being said, we HAVE done zyrtec because our LO is allergic just like his dad...and has bad reactions to benedryl like his mom. I say to go with your instincts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone...I think I'm going to go with my gut on this one and get a new ped!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

I would maybe ask your pedi why he thinks it may be allergies. My DD had a few months during the summer where she had a running nose. I took her in and a different pedi (mine was on vacation) put her on a daily dose of Zyrtec and it worked wonders. When I went back for a follow-up I saw my usual pedi and he mentioned that it probably was just a cold, but when he looked in her nose he said that the blue swelling was a definite sign of allergies. So, maybe your pedi saw something like this? Allergies run in our family and I read before that it is uncommon for infants to have allergies, but it can happen.

It's interesting that someone before me said her pedi said that animals allergies were an exemption to this rule, because I was told the exact opposite. That if an infant really has allergies then animal allergies were the least common cause. 

I do think it was odd that your pedi went straight to allergies as the issue given the symptoms/situation, but I don't think I would get a new pedi. Unless there have been other things you have been unhappy about. Trust your gut though. Again, I would see if you can find out more info as to why he thinks it's allergies. 

BFP #1: MC at 6w2d 11/24/09 BFP #2: 4/8/10-DD born 12/15/10 BFP #3: MC/CP? 2/5/12 ~4w BFP #4: Eptopic-Laparoscopy & D&C 4/16/12 ~6w BFP #5: 6/19/12 Due 3/5/13 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageMarSamWhitney:

I dont think you are crazy. I would def not fill the script without getting a second opinion.  Dont they do some sort of testing for allergies? I have no idea, I dont have them, or know anyone that does.

I wouldnt give my LO any unnessecary meds without another opinion.

Good luck!

Same here...seasonal allergies in winter? Something just doesn't quite add up. I would just leave it as an ear infection for now and discuss seasonal allergies if you continue to have problems in the spring and summer.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"