Food Allergy
Options

1st Appt with Allergist - What to Expect?

We have our first appointment with the allergist on the 7th, and I'm not quite sure what to expect.  Our pedi did blood tests for milk, egg & peanut, and all came back positive.  I wasn't told what the numbers were, so I really have no idea how serious they might be.  My daughter is just shy of 13 months, so I'm not really sure if they'll do a skin test, or if they'll do more blood tests.  I'm trying not to get anxious about all of this, but I'm finding it difficult.

My questions are: How old was your LO when they were diagnosed?  What was that first appointment like?  Blood test or skin test?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this board is a life-saver.  I'm really grateful of the incredible knowledge you ladies share here!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 1st Appt with Allergist - What to Expect?

• Options
    DS was just officially allergy tested last week at 14 months. Usually they do skin tests on younger LOs. Because DS is so young they made everything go quickly, we talked about his symptoms, family history, and what I wanted him tested for. Then the tested him, I got the results (Severe milk and beef allergy and slight allergies to corn, wheat peanut and soy)  and we talked about a diet plan and that was it.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

my son was 7 months (due to a ana reaction to egg). 

first appointment sucked. I did not like the doc and it wasn't kid friendly.  they did a skin test and had to rinse him off immidietly b/c the skin test was so intense and his reaction caused massive hives (you don't usually get that). I wasn't prepared at all (no one told me how to hold him even). 

First appt was a skin test and a few days later i had a rast test done. he was positive for milk/eggs/peanuts/sesame.   He grew out of sesame after a few months and got a soy allergy which we are challenging now. 

who did the test? your pedi or allergist? i would call and ask them to fax you the results. I always go home with a sheet with the results.  I like to compare the numbers to each test.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you for your honesty!  I usually prepare for the worst case scenarios, so this really does help.

The blood test was done by the pedi, she's faxing the results over to the pediatric allergist so he knows what the results were 3 weeks ago.  I need to do more research on the numbers aspect - I feel overwhelmed!

You mentioned holding your LO a certain way - what would you suggest?  My DD is usually pretty good at doctor appts, but once a needle comes around, she flips out.  My husband won't be able to go to the appt with us, so I'm flying solo - ugh!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAliciaR777:

Thank you for your honesty!  I usually prepare for the worst case scenarios, so this really does help.

The blood test was done by the pedi, she's faxing the results over to the pediatric allergist so he knows what the results were 3 weeks ago.  I need to do more research on the numbers aspect - I feel overwhelmed!

You mentioned holding your LO a certain way - what would you suggest?  My DD is usually pretty good at doctor appts, but once a needle comes around, she flips out.  My husband won't be able to go to the appt with us, so I'm flying solo - ugh!

Here is a chart i use to look at the numbers

IgE    kU/L        Level of Allergen
    0      <0.35          Absent/Undetectable
    1      0.35-0.70    Low Level
    2      0.71-3.50    Moderate Level
    3      3.51-17.5    HighLevel
    4      17.6-50       Very High Level
    5      51-100        Very High Level
    6      >100           Very High Level

Most likely they will tell you how to hold her but his belly needs to touch your belly.. Most likely they will prick her back with the allergen so you cannot touch your chest to her back .  What happened with us is they pricked him and 10 seconds later he started getting blisters and was very squirmy and i didnt think twice about making sure that his back shouldn't touch me.. it did and then he rubbed his face on it.  It's probably more of a common sense thing and i should have known, but so much was going on that i wish someone would have said (make sure his back does not touch you). 

Bring some new toys for her.  My new allergist office has a toy closet so DS loves it! but i always bring my iPad so he can watch a movie.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"