New York Babies
Options

Pediatrician

When do i have to start about thinking about interviewing pediatricians.  Someone mentioned it to me today and i was totally caught off guard.  I didn't think that was something i had to think about for awhile but maybe i should be getting started.  Any thoughts or suggestions/

Re: Pediatrician

• Options
    I think I started meeting with some 2 months before my due date.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    people may or may not agree with this, but we didn't at all.  since we were walking distance from the hospital where i delivered, we just kept the one that was on duty when he was born.  we like him, so it worked out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was almost late at two month before my baby was born. Depends on doctors but I guess two moths is about a good time in case you need to "shop" around. Many pediatricians only do new patient interviews once a week, so slots fill up quickly.
  • Options

A Pediatrician is the most important caregiver one can provide for one's newborn or newborns. I for one am old school so I think that any first time parents should do research with time when it comes to finding the person that hopefully is going to be spending many years caring for their child.

I on the other hand feel that all searches should be done when you are still comfortable with the pregnancy and not when you are so far gone in the pregnancy that all you want is for it to be over and done with, you are more apt to make the wrong choices. 

As first time parents who are naturally nervous, my humble suggestion is that you seek a pediatrician around the 5th or 6th month if not sooner, this way you get it out of the way... As a baby nurse with 36 years exp when am asked that questions I suggest that all parents find their own, many new moms and dads go on friends suggestions but I find that not all moms end up liking the chosen pediatrician because all moms and dads are different and like anything else, what may work for you, may not.work for your friend... It is fun doing your own thing from scratch... 

And again and only because I am old school, I always suggest acquiring pediatricians who have had at least 1 newborn... I do respect all the young up and coming Pediatricians but to me they are more text book as opposed to the one who has had a child and is also speaking more from his own personal experience and is on the same page with the mom or dad. To me, most parents speak the same language and I just think it makes it easier especially if there are certain challenges but in the end... it is entirely up to the parents!

good luck!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"