Breastfeeding
Options

It's all my fault, and I feel so bad :(

I went dairy-free last Monday in conjunction with DD going on Zantac for acid reflux, seeing as how DD1 has a milk protein allergy & had silent reflux & was on meds until age 2.  I was 8 days without dairy, but we weren't convinced dairy was an issue since DD2s poop was totally normal.

So, I've been having a hard time on the DF diet, haven't been eating very much, and so after 8 days DF, we went to a diner yesterday & I had coffee with creamer, french toast and scrambled eggs.  I had coffee with milk this morning, too.  And today DD had 2 screaming episodes & awful gas.  Her belly sounds like a volcano :(  She hadn't had those episodes in almost a week.  She cried herself practically to sleep twice today, and now I feel terrible.  I gave her a bottle of Alimentum at her 7 pm feeding instead of nursing her, and am planning on giving her another one overnight, because I want her belly to have some time to recover.  I would much rather nurse her than pump while DH is feeding her, but I don't want her to have another screaming episode.

Now, I have no idea how long it will take to get out of her system.  I was DF for 8 days and then only had dairy basically twice, so I'm hoping that after 12 hours or so, it will be on it's way out and I can start nursing again.  Does anyone know the logistics of this?  I was thinking one more bottle (like midnight-ish when she wakes up) and nurse when she gets up at 4-5 am.  But maybe I should give her a couple of more bottles until her tummy settles?  I don't want her to forget how to breastfeed, and I sure the heck don't want to pump while she's getting a bottle, then wash all that crap & get it ready for the next round.  But I don't want to torture her little belly, either.

I'm such a bad mommy :(

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: It's all my fault, and I feel so bad :(

• Options

You're not a bad mommy! You're doing great. Look on the bright side -- at least now you know it's probably a dairy issue, and you can figure out how to proceed.

I would think 12 hours would be a good time to try again, and you should be fine after 24 hours. I haven't had food sensitivity issues, though, so though don't take my word for it! 

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I agree with the PP - you are NOT a "bad Mommy"...  Matter of fact, you're now a convinced Mommy who knows exactly what the problem IS, not what "you think it might be"... 

Trust your instincts - It'll all be o.k. just don't focus on what is eliminated from your diet only what you can include in it... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"