Baby Showers

Who gets a hostess gift?

I am trying to figure out how many hostess gifts I need to buy. Originally one friend was going to plan the shower; then she asked DH's aunt to help. Since then, DH's cousin (the aunt's daughter) has helped, MIL bought the cake, and DH's step-grandmother is helping as well, although to what extent I am not sure. Do I need to buy all 5 of them a gift? Should they all be the same cost? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by not getting them something but I know some ppl have put A LOT into the shower and others are just helping set up. Also, I don't really have $500 to spend on hostess gifts.

Re: Who gets a hostess gift?

• You don't need to spend $500, hell you don't need to spend $50. Get them something small that they'll like.

My mom funded my shower and she and my sister set it up. My sister is only 15 so I got them something they could both use. I spent <$30 (including shipping) and bought them tea and chocolate truffles.

• When it was just the friend and the aunt I was going to get them each a $50 gift certificate to a spa in town. But now that it is 5 ppl with different levels of involvement I'm at little lost. Plus these people have everything so I wouldn't know where to begin shopping for something small.
  • Loading the player...
  • Who are the actual HOSTS?  People "helping" isn't the same thing as being a host. 

And the gifts don't need to be expensive. I spent about $10 per person.  but honestly, a very nicely worded thank you card will suffice.  You don't HAVE to give a gift.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• At this point I'm not sure who the hosts are. MIL is the kind of person who will expect a gift if she contributes anything at all. I guess just my friend and DH's aunt are the hosts. This whole shower has been one giant confusion after another...
  • Why don't you just take them all out to lunch and give them each a thank you card.  I think that is plenty.
  • imagerhubarb123:
    Why don't you just take them all out to lunch and give them each a thank you card.  I think that is plenty.

That is what I did. My host had so much help from my mom that it made me upset..because then my mom paid for everything..so instead of a gift I took her to lunch and gave her a nice card. 

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • A simple heartfelt thank you card is enough, especially for family. But you could also do a small gift like a Christmas ornament depending on when your shower is. Or a nice journal. Some stationary. You don't need to spend a lot of money.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • One of my showers is kind of the same way. Both of my SIL are hosting, but my Mom and MIL  are "helping" and then my mom's friend is making the cake. I got my SIL and cake maker a candle and candle holder from Bath and Body Works- ended up being about $15 a person. I also scrapbook, so I made both of my SILs a set of stationary cards. That cost less then $5 a person. My mom told me if I bought her something she wouldn't babysit. But I think I'm going to get both of the moms a picture frame so they can brag about their new grandson. Hobby Lobby always has their picture frames 50% off.

And just an idea: for my other shower I got my hostess a beautiful vase from Pier 1 ($12) and  bought a really pretty candle to put in there from Micheal's ($6).

• I see your dilemma.  I don' think your family members really expect a hostess gift.  Perhaps a token gift like flowers and at least definitely a heartfelt TY card is enough.  For your friend, I'd probably get her something a bit more if she is the same organizer.

I had a similar situation. My 2 close girlfriends organized and planned everything and I know they spent a lot of money aside from their time and effort.  Another girlfriend helped them out a lot, and another girlfriend helped and made my cake.  My mom was a co-host and paid for the food.  I got big hostess gifts for my 2 main hosts who organized everything, and a TY card for my other 2 girlfriends.  My mom, well, I spoil her enough already =)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"