April 2012 Moms
Options

the flu! :(

So my last doctor's appt, I turned down the flu shot bc I knew I could get it cheaper somewhere else...I also found out I can get it for free at Kroger through my insurance...so I've been meaning to get it, and I'm SO mad at myself! I left work early bc I was feeling AWFUL. I came home and immediately puked my soul out, and now I'm laying in bed feeling super achy. I don't have a fever or anything- just achy and stomach issues, but still, I'm freaking out that somehow the baby could be hurt ...I have a doctor's appt on Friday, but should I call if I still have these issues tomorrow? I'm staying hydrated and resting. Anything else I could do?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: the flu! :(

• Options

When I thought I had the flu, I called my on call Dr and they told me to go to the ER to get checked out to be safe. It took hours and whatever your co pay is......but for me it was worth it to know baby and I were ok and didn't have the flu. I saw my OB the next day.

ETA: After lots of tests, mine wound up being a viral infection and my OB prescribed me a z pack. They wouldn't treat me with any medicines at the ER. They referred me back to the OB for that, they just diagnosed me at the ER.

• Options
    I hope you feel better! I personally would wait until Friday to go to the doctor unless it gets really really bad. Don't kick yourself though. The flu shot doesn't protect you from the stomach flu. They are completely different viruses.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you have a fever? It's probably not the flu unless you have a fever. If you do, you can take tylenol. Hope you feel better and that it passes soon! Rest & fluids!
  • Options
    No, no fever...my stomach just feels super horrible...thanks for the advice, ladies!
  • Options
    Yeah, sounds like you have a stomach bug and not the traditional flu.  If you get to the point where you can't keep food/liquids down, you should go to the dr.  Mine lasted about 4 days and was miserable.  If you are still throwing up, try drinking pedialyte or gatorade so that you can get some electrolytes back in you. 
  • Options

Ditto.

Flu=Fever.  You most likely have a stomach bug that will work itself out. Keep drinking water and feel better!! 

• Options
    imageImThisBabysMom:

When I thought I had the flu, I called my on call Dr and they told me to go to the ER to get checked out to be safe. It took hours and whatever your co pay is......but for me it was worth it to know baby and I were ok and didn't have the flu. I saw my OB the next day.

ETA: After lots of tests, mine wound up being a viral infection and my OB prescribed me a z pack. They wouldn't treat me with any medicines at the ER. They referred me back to the OB for that, they just diagnosed me at the ER.

Oh no!! Did you have a fever?

• Options
    imagecountdowntolockdown:

Ditto.

Flu=Fever.  You most likely have a stomach bug that will work itself out. Keep drinking water and feel better!! 

Thank you so much! That definitely makes me feel better...at first I thought it was nausea that seems to come and go, but it's sticking!

• Options

The flu that the flu shot protects you from the the respiratory strains of influenza, it involves fever, chills, aches, and respiratory symptoms.

It sounds like you have some type of gastroenteritis (stomach bug). WHich isn't fun but probably not as dangerous as the traditional flu they warn of. Do your best to stay hydrated!

• Options
    No clue where our thermometer was. Bought a new one after that. No fever at the ER.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"