Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Using Car Seat without the Base

We got our car seat (Chicco Keyfit 30) and in reading it, it can be used without a base.  I know this isn't as easy as popping it out of the base, but I'm curious about the safety aspect of using it without the base.  I'm thinking we may do this once a week with the nanny.  Just wondering if anyone has any insight on using a car seat without the base.  TIA!                                                                        

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Using Car Seat without the Base

• Options
    It is just as safe as using the base, as long as you are doing it correctly. If it wasn't, then the company wouldn't allow it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I was told when we had our carseat checked at the fire dept not to use carseat without the base because it wasn't as safe. We have the Bertini but it shows how to use a lap belt on the carseat. Maybe they were just meaning that people don't install them correctly when just using the lap belt?

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageilovebijou:
    I was told when we had our carseat checked at the fire dept not to use carseat without the base because it wasn't as safe. We have the Bertini but it shows how to use a lap belt on the carseat. Maybe they were just meaning that people don't install them correctly when just using the lap belt?

Maybe. If it weren't safe then the company could be held liable in an accident, because they show that it can be installed without the base. I have done it with my Graco Safe Seat before without any issues.

To the OP: You need to just make sure that you are still getting the infant seat at the correct angle for an infant. It really is pretty simple.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageilovebijou:
    Maybe they were just meaning that people don't install them correctly when just using the lap belt?

This is correct. The reason the base was invented was because there is less user error involved. You install the base once and never have to mess with it again. The Chicco works fine without a base. Just read your manual to make sure you install it right.  

• Options
    imageSuperCuteBenz:
    It is just as safe as using the base, as long as you are doing it correctly. If it wasn't, then the company wouldn't allow it.
    Totally this.  Just make sure you read the instructions and watch a youtube video to make sure you do it correctly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Options

Ditto the others that when the Keyfit is installed properly, it is just as safe with or without the base.

I do know of one seat (an Evenflo infant seat, maybe?) that actually cannot be used without the base.  I've only ever seen it at a CPS class, but it's out there.  So always always always check your manual and call the manufacturer if you have questions.

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"