Working Moms

Is it reasonable to ask daycare

Lurker with a question!

My 10 week old starts daycare in an infant/toddler room on monday.  She has an older sister so she has already been sick and wheezy needing inhalers.  Would it be reasonable for me to ask daycare to hold her with a receiving blanket over them?  Or is that too much?  Im just so nervous about her getting sick....

Thanks!!!!

Re: Is it reasonable to ask daycare

• I think you can ask but I don't think it will help her not get sick.
  • My DD started daycare at 8 weeks and has had colds off and on since. I don't think there is much you can do to prevent it. there is no way to really prevent it. On the bright side, my pedi said it is completely normal, and that it is good to get it out of the way now because kids who stay at home as babies end up getting sick all the time when they start school instead.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think that will make any difference.
  • imageshannm:
    I don't think that will make any difference.

Agreed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Echoing PP, she's in DC, she will get sick.  It's heartbreaking to watch, but I try to remember that every cold now is one they won't have later.

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageCrazyToast:

imageshannm:

Agreed.

I'd focus on the hand washing rather than the blanket.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • imageCrazyToast:

imageshannm:

Agreed.

I agree on this too.

• imageCrazyToast:

imageshannm:

Agreed.

Ditto. 

• imagesaraboston:
    imageCrazyToast:

imageshannm:

Agreed.

I'd focus on the hand washing rather than the blanket.

DITTO! Your child isn't getting sick from the teachers but from the germs that the other kids have.  If the teachers are good about washing hands and they disinfect the toys each night, your child will be less likely to get sick.  In any case, it's now or when they start school so their immune systems get built up pretty quick!

• Thanks!  I guess i was figuring that handling all the other kids, then my baby would expose her.  You guys are right, she is going to get sick no matter what. 
  • As someone who works in a daycare, you can ask, and the provider will more than likely go with your request. However, I have never had a child who started daycare for the first time and not gotten sick in any way,
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Kids are carrier monkey - and she will get sick...DD2 has been sick for uhum the entire 6 weeks she's been at Daycare...Asking doesn't hurt - but realistically she'll likely still get sick!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"