Infertility Veterans
Options

XP: Cancer risk from fertility meds?

I hope it's okay to XP this from IF.  I met with my new RE yesterday and he will only do IVF with me.  I really want to do 2-3 more cycles of injectables + TI/IUI (I got pregnant this cycle this way), but he won't do it.  He said I've already done too many and I'm putting myself at greater risk of ovarian cancer.I'm about to miscarry and I really, really needed some hope.  IVF is not an option for us (I told him that), and I didn't need a cancer scare.  I think I need a new, new RE.  SadTIA for your help.  
My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

Re: XP: Cancer risk from fertility meds?

• Options

I thought clomid was the "risky" one, I hadn't heard a correlation with injectables.

I have learned from my journey thay you are your only advocate.  If you don't want to do IVF push back!  Also ask for some backup information about the higher risks.

Good luck to you!

Health&Fitness Blog imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Our IVF miracles!
  • Options

Oh Sarah,

I hate that you can't find a great RE.  I am BRCA1+ which means I am high risk for ovarian cancer. I have a gynecologic oncologist and have seen 3 RE's. No one has told me I am increasing my risk even further with these drugs. I have asked all of them.   Is there always a risk, yes since doctors don't know everything "yet".  But it seems like he may just want your $$ from IVF.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrs.McIrish:

Oh Sarah,

I hate that you can't find a great RE.  I am BRCA1+ which means I am high risk for ovarian cancer. I have a gynecologic oncologist and have seen 3 RE's. No one has told me I am increasing my risk even further with these drugs. I have asked all of them.   Is there always a risk, yes since doctors don't know everything "yet".  But it seems like he may just want your $$ from IVF.

I was hoping you'd reply.  I think you're right, and the joke is on him, because I don't have any money!  Wink

Thanks, both of you.  I should've known not to listen to him and let it affect me so much, but I am not myself lately, due to everything that's going on.

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss and agree you need to find yet another new RE.  This doesn't even make sense as the exact same drugs are used for injectible cycles as for IVF.  This guy is not doing you any favors by pushing you to do more invasive treatments than you need, if you just got pg from injectibles.  GL!
    TTK 9/06 / TTC 10/08 / Twins 12/11 / Life Blog
    5 REs + 3 surgical hysteroscopies for septum/lap + 3 failed IUIs
    IVF w/ICSI/AH & acu = BFP!, unexplained spontaneous m/c @ 8w2d (our little girl),
    FET w/acu = BFP!, B/G twins!, lost MP @19w, dx w/funneling cervix @20w,
    twins nearly lost to IC @21w, saved by rescue cerclage, 17P & 16w of bedrest
    Our twins born @36w4d via CS when A came foot first

Thankful for every day

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

The risk is unknown...we sign waivers that say we are assuming a risk for poss cancer risks.

I do have a friend who did several IVF's and ended up w a gyn cancer....they never actually found the orignal hot spot.  But shich came first, the chicken or the egg?  Did her predisposition for a gyn cancer contribute to her IF, or was it the other way?

Personally, i hate putting this $hit in my body.  I feel the most unhealty i have ever felt in my life....do think it might cause cancer, yeah i do think they might.

Am i willing to risk that bc of my desire to have a family, yes....and i've signed that waiver for 3 IVF's for that reason.

I also agree w KT...the drugs for injectable IUI are the same?  So where is the RE coming from?  Dosing?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I actually just had my follow up with my oncologist yesterday after having some additional screening done and she reassured me that there is no evidence what so ever that fertility treatments were linked with an increased risk of breast or ovarian cancer (that is what I was screened for.) She said that your estrogen is only elevated for a short period of time, not nearly long enough to cause a problem. This is my 8th injectable cycle using high dose meds (600iu) so I was worried myself. Hope this helps to ease your mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"